200 SERIES CRUISER RECALL

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:59
ThreadID: 66457 Views:6615 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Just recieved a bulletin from Toyota regarding a recall for all 200 series vehicles with Toyota Alloy or Steel bullbar fitted.

"On Land Cruiser 200 model vehicles where fitted with Toyota genuine bull bars, especially if they operate
for long periods in harsh usage conditions such as corrugated roads, the bull bar mounting bracket design
allows excessive load to be applied to the front frame portion that supports the bull bar. This can result in
cracking of the frame welds.
• If the vehicle with the frame cracked is continued to be driven in these conditions, in the worse case, the
crack increases, which potentially may result in the bull bar detaching from the vehicle.
Note:
This condition is purely results from inadequate bull bar mounting bracket design. Therefore only vehicles fitted
with genuine bull bars are involved (Non-genuine bull bars have independently engineered mounting brackets). "

Owners will be notified by mailout soon

Donks1

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:19

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:19
Yep, Toyota have known about this for some time. They pulled their steel bar off their web site last year but still offered the alloy one. Am suprised to see the recall is for the alloy bar too.

I have been led to believe that the Toyota steel bar is made by ARB but doesn't use the same mounting kit the ARB bars do - the mounting kit on the ARB bar is 45kgs alone, virtually the same weight as the Toyota steel bar.

I originally ordered the Toyota bar but, luckily as it turns out, it couldn't be delivered with my vehicle so I ended up going for the ARB bar. Hopefully i won't have the same problem.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 352005

Follow Up By: discovery099 - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:50

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:50
You won't Captain.

Without going into too much detail the Toyota bar was bolted only to the end plate of the chassis rail. The chassis rail is two C sections welded together. A plate is then welded to the end.

With the ARB, it is bolted to the end plate, bottom and sides. With the bar ARB have attached long U plates. These are bolted through the chassis rail at the bottom and sides of the rail.

The first indicators is the end wings of the bar begin to tilt up and bow the guards out.

Toyota wanted to do a voluntary recall at service intervals but the powers that be considered it a safety hazard and demanded an immediate recall.

Unintentional flaring to suit those big muddies!!!
FollowupID: 620210

Sponsored Links