Planning for a Big Trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 15:01
ThreadID: 66463 Views:4313 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Firstly I would like to say that I love reading all your stories of adventure, and its inspired me to get out there and enjoy all the things you guys are.

Im 26 and me and my girlfriend are looking at throwing in our jobs, and travelling Australia for a few months and finding a place where we could live for a while. (Currently in Melbourne). I have just bought a 60 series cruiser from my girls Dad. Its had a new motor put in it, no rust (as he is a panel beater), 2 inch lift, bull bar, winch, duel batteries, diff lock, BF AT's. Its in good nick, drives really well, but just a bit slow which im not really concerned about. It only has a 80 litre tank which im a little worried about, beacause it drinks the diesel

Our plans include the simpson desert, Kimberlys, and Cape York over a year, with some casual work in between. Firstly anyone got any thought of vehicle preperation, will this old reliable cruiser make the trip? Im looking to get a second hand Long range tank, second hand fridge, and rear wheel carrier, cargo _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx, and air compressor, is their anywhere I can get these second hand as Im on a budget.

My second question is what type of tent should I get, Im looking at a roof top tent, any thoughts for the touring I will be doing.

Any planning tips or advise would be great

Thanks

Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bagwon - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:17

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:17
Hi You should also get yourself some recovery gear,keep it basic as its easy to buy a lot of stuff you may never use. make a list of what you think you may need.ie gas stove/ bottle,cooking stuff,first aid kit,water jerry cans. There has been threads put on here before with lists of everything you may need. Try finding some of them,much of what you seek will be on this site somewhere.ie Trader,Blogs,and old Forum threads. Also your vehicle sounds ok remember to drive to conditions and take your time.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 352012

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:31

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:31
Hi Tim,

Your new cruiser sounds great and it should do all the things you want. Its probably about the same age as our 75 series Troopy which gets about a fair bit.

A second tank is a good idea, and even then you may need to carry some extra fuel, especially for crossing the Simpson. A roof rack with a couple of jerries perhaps, but be aware that the centre of gravity will go up. If you are on a budget, have you thought of making cargo drawers yourself. Keep an eye on the Trader section of this forum and on eBay for the extra things you need.

Probably the most important bit of non gear is for both of you to do a good 4wd training course - some 4wd clubs offer very good training. It will allow you to get more out of your vehicle without getting into tight spots, and increase your travel enjoyment.

Have fun

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 352013

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:33

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 16:33
Hi Tim,
A mate of mine recently toured around Australia in a 60 series and put a bit of weight on a very rigid roof rack. After a lot (maybe a million) corrugations he found that his 'A' pillars were showing cracks. So, be aware - don't put to much weight up top.

AnswerID: 352015

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 17:43

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 17:43
Lots of good advise there, Falcon46....
We liked roof top tents (had one on a Mini). Quick, convenient, comfortable, away from the crocs.....
Don't plan too much detail in terms of the route or timing. Keep it broad and flexable.
And...WARNING, WARNING, if you do this, you may ever be able to live in a city again!

Cheers and enjoy....
Peter.
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 352025

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:14

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:14
Hi There,

All great advice already!!! 1st aid kit and recovery kit are a must, roof top tent will keep you safe from the crocs ect. 2nd fuel tank is also a good thing

We started the trip last November (we are a little older and have our 2 young daughters with us) we are doing the trip in an 80 series landcruiser with 2 fuel tanks and a 23 foot van - we would love to do it in a tent or camper trailer (as you can't always get to certain places with such a big van, we plan on storing the van in certain places and just doing week long trips with a tent) however we are travelling long term and need to home school the kids ect so we decided on a van.

The thought of settling down again horrifies me............. we asked the girls the other day whether they wanted to settle down again and live in a house the answer was "No Way mum"!!!!

You will Love it!!!!

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 352117

Sponsored Links