Anne Beadell Highway (feasibility of towing)

We are planning to travel the ABH from Laverton to Coober Pedy mid-year. A friend who wishes to travel with us has a large Kedron off-road caravan with 100 series Landcruiser. Apart from the obvious issue of carrying sufficient fuel, is it feasible/ sensible/ possible to travel the ABH with this type of rig?

We travelled Laverton-Neale Junction a couple of years ago but headed north up the Connie Sue, so don't have 1st hand knowledge of the eastern part of ABH (except conventional wisdom that the SA end is more corrugated etc). My recollection is that the western end (Laverton -Neale Jctn) would be ok for the Kedron.

On our earlier trip we did meet a couple of small to medium size vans that had come through from Coober Pedy, but would appreciate any comments from anyone who has towed something large along ABH, or has views on the feasibility of doing this.

Many thanks

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 15:07

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 15:07
A 20 tonne fuel tanker goes thru there. Laverton to C/P return via Ilkulka...

AnswerID: 352161

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 20:05

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 20:05
Why wouold a fuel tanker go through to Coober Pedy? I'd expect it to return to Laverton after Ilkulka.
FollowupID: 620411

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 21:48

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 21:48
Hi to you both.

Fuel comes in from Kal via Trans line Cable haul road and ABR to Tjuntjuntjarra then small truck to north to Ilkurlka, as we where told be the ceartakes last year.

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 620444

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:45

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:45
I can only go on what the fuel tanker driver told me. The truck was broken down near Neale Junction (with a blown airbag)- and we spend a few hours with him trying to help.
He told us some good storys of his adventures...

FollowupID: 620509

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 15:10

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 15:10
We've towed a Cub Supamatic flipover camper across on one of our trips out there with no problems. We actually were leading a group of six all towing campers with no problems. The van should be ok despite the very rough conditions but it will cop a hiding from the scrub as it can be very overgrown some years due to new growth and also plenty of windy narrow sections if there has been a good season.
Personally I'd not tow anything bigger than a camper. We met an Oka on one trip and he had a few problems with height clearance.
You never know as there is exploration going on out there it my get cleared some places too.
The WA section shouldn't have any problems.
AnswerID: 352162

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 15:57

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 15:57
I went through towing a tambo camper no problems. The track is very narrow and winding so as stated above, the van will cop a hiding. There aren't many places to get off the track to avoid obstacles either. A few sandy patches to consider and some deep holes and wash aways as well (see my blog entries for April, 2006). Caravan will be wider than the track once you're over the WA/SA border so expect a lot of tyre issues on the van.

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352170

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 18:22

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 18:22
Took OKA196 and wide boat from Cook to Vokes Hill Corner and then west in 2007.
No problems whatever, just a bit scratchy in a few spots, paricularly south of Vokes Hill.
There are a few pics in the link below.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 352192

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:06

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:06
I have been looking through some of your trips over the past couple of days and must say it is impressive. I would think you are very lucky to not still be out "East of Corrigin"....still digging. That was one very serious bog that I would not have liked to have been in.

Thanks for a very comprehensive website. Well done.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 620896

Reply By: Member - Trevor L (WA) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 16:33

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 16:33
Thanks for all your useful and prompt feedback on this.
AnswerID: 353091

Sponsored Links