snorkels on petrol prado

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:15
ThreadID: 66512 Views:7104 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This maybe a stupid question, most diesel vehicles have snorkels, would you snorkel a petrol prado 120 series
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:30
One Way Ticket,
Not for the fact of a greater fording depth, but for a cleaner air supply, I would recommend a snorkel on your Prado. The air intake is under the front driver side guard, so you are not getting the cleanest of air on dirt roads. When you order the snorkel, they specify one for petrol and a different part number for diesel. It will be money well spent. Apart from the under bonnet parts I put on(dual battery, ARB Air compressor) the snorkel was my next item that I added. You will notice how much cleaner your air cleaner will be when used in very dusty conditions.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352235

Follow Up By: Member - one way ticket (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:36

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:36
thanks stephen
FollowupID: 620457

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 16:21

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 16:21
120series Prados had an issue when fitted with factory bullbars - removal of some of the liner created a scoop for water, and they could injest water into the aircleaner from a shallow crossing. Link Here

Like Stephen said, main reason is to suck clean air. You won't get any improvement in performance from air ram effect, and some people report fuel consumption increasing with the fitting of a snorkel.
AnswerID: 352344

Reply By: RobAck - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 18:29

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 18:29
You put a snorkel on any vehicle, regardless of engine type for exactly the same reason, to improve the flow of clean air into the engine and to raise the wading depth if you are playing in water.

If you do play in water then one thing that is regularly forgotten and leads to failure of most axle seals is that you should also put diff breather extensions on as well. If you are not aware a diff breather is a small flapper valve that generally sits almost on top of the diff pumpkin, front and rear. The open to allow pressure equalisation when the oil heats up in normal driving. Some vehicles like Troopies have them extended but not very far, normally to the chassis rail only and 120 Prado has the front one extended into the engine bay (correct place) but not the rear one.

If you consider that a hub height water crossing will therefore make water flow over the axles and therefore into the diff breather it seems to make a lot of sense to make this a mandatory part of fitting a snorkel, again only if you think you will be doing water crossings. You can get kits to fit yourself or do a deal and get it all done when they fit your snorkel

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 352364

Reply By: Member - one way ticket (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:05

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:05
thanks to all
AnswerID: 352372

Sponsored Links