Carrying Fuel on back and/or front of van

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 09:58
ThreadID: 66519 Views:8659 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good People
What is the obligation when carrying fuel/diesel on the back or front of caravans. This will probably vary from state to state but I am modifying my caravan and would love to make prevision to carry jerry cans where safe to do so. My Jayco dealer says it is illegal to carry fuel on vans but I see many people towing van that are. I know there is a difference between Petrol which has a classification as a "Dangerous Substance" therefore should not be carried on the back due to its explosive potential on impact, however I really only need Diesel which has a difference classification. Your guidance please
engce2
Oldy but still a Goody

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:13

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:13
Keep them away from Gas Bottles too. Diesel/unleaded would probably not make any difference in case of rear ender its still Fuel leaking. Its easy to find out. I would Ring main roads in each state see if there is documents available on the subject as rules change so much you know you will have the correct info at the time.
Love your Oldy picture.
AnswerID: 352284

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:40

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:40
Water only on the back ,, fuel on drawbar or on side without exceeding width of c/t - van ,,, 7 states / territories and each has varying rulings as per even the qty of jerrys for fuel that you may legally carry before hazard warning signage is required.
AnswerID: 352293

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:41

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:41
Keith,

In a situation like this let common sense guide you.

This subject was on the forum before and a lot of ideas were rehashed from previous threads.

Because there does not appear to be a law or regulation that is uniform Australia wide about the carrying of fuel on the outside of a vehicle or van,let your common sense guide you.

If it was me, and the only option was to carry fuel on the van, I would carry it on or near the draw bar and avoid using the back of the van.

Wayne
AnswerID: 352294

Reply By: Keith R (Townsville - QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:46

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:46
I've just found thread 24099 which has some valuable information
Oldy but still a Goody

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 352297

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:33

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:33
I asked my trusted Caravan repairer who knows the rules pretty well

and he also calls a spade a spade.

His answer was and I quote.

Only a complete idiot would put fuel on the rear of anything.

Put it on the drawbar.

So I did
FollowupID: 620516

Follow Up By: Keith R (Townsville - QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 18:54

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 18:54
Ok summary. No fuel on the back. On the drawbar but not near the Gas cylinders. Bugger.. seems both are out. Okay I was looking at putting a proper yellow tank under the van over the tandem axles. Between the 2 water tanks???
Keith
Oldy but still a Goody

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 620572

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:46

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:46
Well my Jerry can holder is BETWEEN the gas bottles on the drawbar.

He said its as safe as you can get and if one gets hit it wont make a lot of difference..

Usually only carry diesel but he reckoned petrol would be OK as well.

The holder actually already had a gas bottle holder on one side of it and was designed to be bolted onto a towbar. I just cut off the bits I didnt need and spread the bottle holders a bit and welded a strap under it and welded it to the existing top straps for the bottles.

Solid as.

Cheers

FollowupID: 620586

Follow Up By: Keith R (Townsville - QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:16

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:16
Common sense will prevail. Thank you all for your valued responses
Keith
Oldy but still a Goody

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 620600

Sponsored Links