Sandy Cape, Fraser Island

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 13:12
ThreadID: 66523 Views:3159 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am looking at heading to Fraser again over Easter and I have had a look at the road condition report here on the forum. It says the beach is closed past Ngkala Rocks. I looked on the report from EPA in QLD that they produce once every 2 weeks and they say the bypass track is closed but the rocks are passable one hour either side of low tide to experienced 4wder's only? Has anybody been up there recently and is it possible to get past the rocks at low tide? I have done the majority of the island on many trips before but have never been to Sandy Cape. Can anybody enlighten me on whether it is possible or not.
Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chisel - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:16

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:16
There is some discussion on 4wdmonthly and overlander forums about this. Most have said ngkala is impassable even at low tide so interesting to hear that epa are saying otherwise.

I also heard that rocks further north (browns?) were impassable anyway, at the moment.

Anyway, check the 4wdmonthly forums (travel/trips section) for more info if others don't chime in here.
AnswerID: 352329

Follow Up By: chisel - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:19

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:19
Actually I just checked the epa conditions report and it seems to just say closed - where does it say that it is passable 1 hr either side of low?
FollowupID: 620531

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:31

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:31
I just had a look at the condition report and it too says it is closed...... I should have checked the updated version this morning. They must of changed it late last night. The last condition report was posted 24th February and as of yesterday at 5pm it was the only one up there.....
Sorry about that.
FollowupID: 620532

Reply By: TrishP - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:51

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 14:51
Going up as well in April and we were hoping to see the lighthouse. Contacted EPA and Nkgala Rocks track def closed. Was up there a cple yrs ago and some poor blighter slipped off the edge. Can only assume now that bad weather and tides has completely washed away the very narrow passage we did have. The rocks as far as I am aware are impassable even at low tide and then u have Browns Rocks to negotiate further up. Not enough time to get up there even if u could get around Ngkala at low tide. EPA have no idea when this section of Fraser will be reopened. No where left of track to do suitable bypass because of the terrain.
AnswerID: 352333

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 15:13

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 15:13
And another thing to consider if venturing to the Western side of the Island and I guess any where on Fraser really is the newly acquired danger of Crocodiles - yes I know I never thought I would be saying this. There seems to be a 4 meter model eluding capture on the south west and that makes all thos time I stood chest deep fishing seem somewhat reckless now.

The EPA has responded with a sign suggesting that there may estuarine crocs present.

Please be careful - forget the dingos worry about a large croc.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 352335

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 16:33

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 16:33
I heard from a mate of mine who lives at River Heads adjacent to the Mary River Mouth, that a possible sighting of slide marks on the banks of his property a couple of weeks ago,the old Croc gets around.
FollowupID: 620546

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 17:01

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 17:01
G’day Daza,

Yes they certainly seem to be heading south and my concern is that whilst the EPA is talking about capturing all crocs south of the Boyne at Gladstone the reality is that this is harder to actually achieve. In the meantime a sign on Fraser that there “MAY’ be a croc around will give tourists a false sense of security with possible nasty consequences. A 4 metre croc is certainly big enough to think of an adult as a meal.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 620550

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 23:02

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 23:02
copied from overlander from a thread i started on this very subject.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just speaking to one of the volunteer lighthouse keepers and even if Ngkala was open you can't get passed middle and brown's rocks anyway

so unfortunately it doesn't sound like you will be visiting Sandy Cape on this trip either, pity cause it's the nicest part of the island.
AnswerID: 352443

Follow Up By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 06:59

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 06:59
Thanks Mal, saved me some typing

;-)

Dave
FollowupID: 620657

Sponsored Links