Croydon to Normanton Road - Without the Black Stuff

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 18:10
ThreadID: 66529 Views:2175 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Ever traveled Croydon to Normanton on the black stuff? The following photo's were taken in 1988. I used to drive a truck to Normanton Weekly for 4 years from the tablelands(1986-1990), we never missed a trip in that time. During the wet it was always a challenge as the truck was only rear wheel drive & there were many floodways. We also took it to Burktown & Doomagee across the black soil plains through the storm season until the wet set in. We always had lots of drama, but of course we were never able to stop to take photos on the wet black soil. So...........here we go!
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lotzi - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:31

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:31
G'day Tony

Yep I remember that, used to take a fridge van over to Karumba to collect prawns for Raptis......... those were the days. I suppose that was when the Animal Bar was the Animal Bar...

Cheers
Lotzi
AnswerID: 352374

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:43

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 19:43
It sure was and the reputation was exactly what it was like. Some people who read this may remember the truck I drove which was the Fruit & Vegie Man. Maybee we crossed paths in those days!
Back then it was full time camping at the waters edge out at Karumba Point. Regards Tony
FollowupID: 620584

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:08

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:08
G Tony
Fruit and veg, yeah got ya go, I did a few runs for Fridgemobile out of Townsville and then pre and post sealed road with coaches. I remember finding the tree roots growing out of the road in those days, bugger...
Them be the days....aahhhhhhhh
Lotzi
FollowupID: 620594

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:18

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:18
A Coach and the Fruit Truck had a run in on A grid, Croydon Side of Georgetown. Both of us thought the other would give way and WE DID NOT - Result - Bang - both our mirrors hit. As I pushed mine back out I saw in the mirror the bus was doing the same - Hope that was not you and if it was, boy that was close :-) Cheer tony
FollowupID: 620603

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:37

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:37
Nope wasn't me, I remember a lot of things from those days, remember the young bloke that used to ride his push bike around Croydon wearing the bus company shirts, I gave him the shirts.
Also remember when Bram C was setting up the railway carriages on his property, I got the photos somewhere, that was not long after Expo.
Geez, I better stop now, that was last century.
Lotzi
FollowupID: 620610

Sponsored Links