Ebay

Submitted: Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:49
ThreadID: 6654 Views:1832 Replies:15 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I’ve just got Al a heavy duty 4wd air compressor from ebay…I checked the specs before I placed a bid with the compressors in the ARB catalogue and found them to be similar [checked the psi, etc, etc,]..so I went ahead and placed the bid and then I told Al ! :) …he checked it out and thought it was a pretty good deal and told me what his limit would be…luckily I got it for less…

What I want to know is..for those of you who have bought things through ebay are you happy with the stuff once you’ve got it. I’ve never bought anything like this through ebay, I’ve mainly bought small stuff…but this seemed too good to pass up….but…it’s like internet dating…the person in cyberspace you’re chatting up, could be your worst nightmare in real life…[not that I’ve internet dated…it’s just what I’ve been told (honest)] anyhow, I would be interested what other’s have experienced…

Cheers

Lyn [Mrs. Al]

Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

the lad's "shed" !!!...or is that his castle?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:31

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:31
Hi there, I've been using ebay (for buying and selling) for a few years now. I think its a fantastic tool and a really great way to trade. It's harder and harder to get real bargains nowadays with so many people using the site, ie many more bidders to compete against. If you know the retail value of items, account for postage, and stick to your limit then you cant go wrong. Oh yeah, I always check the sellers rating and feedback and LOCATION before bidding, if all that checks out then i bid. For example, in the last month I've also brought h/d air compressor and a 300watt 12v inverter both at about a 30% discount to store price after postage and all! I've brought and sold over 300 items and probably only once or twice had a problem. Great place to get comms, camping gear, fishing gear, and gadgets!
I give it the thumbs up.
Will.
AnswerID: 28276

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:48

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:48
Hi Will,

I checked the prices of other air compressors, and they were retailing for about $200-300, I got this one for just over $100 that includes postage...

LynLaugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19574

Follow Up By: dogart - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:45

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:45
just had a look at the compressor
not bad at all
a couple of questions...
any warranty on these units and
can they be mounted in the engine bay
(compressor footing, could it accomodate h/duty fixtures
for mounting)

anyone in WA interested in getting one
get multiple and save heaps on shipping
read down the bottom of the ebay page for the compressor

cheers
FollowupID: 19622

Reply By: Jimbo - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:52

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:52
Yep. Thumbs up to e-bay. I've had nothing but good expeiences with decent people who are only too happy to co-operate. So far bought a 8x4 Rhino roof rack for close to half price, a Chinese 1kw generator for $300(but they're all made in China, anyway), a Porta Potti for about $40 I think ($180 new). Working out how to pay can be a hassle. Direct deposit into a Commonwealth bank account is easiest. Take care about how you'd get the item delivered ... the roof rack presented serious problems but the seller put up with me while I sorted it all out. Use Ask Seller a Question to sort stuff out beforehand
AnswerID: 28280

Reply By: Will - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:59

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:59
Howdy Lyn, if that's the one that auctionbrokers were selling its probably the same one as I got. From memory high bid of $71 + delivery which was a whopping $36 to WA (bit over the top but I suppose i do live in the most isolated city in the world....apparently!). Anyway, it seems like a good compressor and its not like it'll get used day in day out anyway so should be sufficient for my needs. For anyone chasing one of these they are still available on ebay, just do a search for "compressor" on www.ebay.com.au and look for the auctionbrokers heavy duty 4x4 kit.
See ya,
Will.
AnswerID: 28282

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:17

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:17
that's the one Will...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19578

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:50

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:50
Lyn, I've had no problems but you can get pretty nervous when you've paid $400 to a stranger and are waiting for the item to arrive in the mail.Bob
AnswerID: 28286

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 13:56

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 13:56
my worry too, if you're in a shop you can see what you're paying for....and walk out the door with it..[after paying for it ofcourse!]..but over the net...it's a question of good faith....and luck I think..

FollowupID: 19586

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 14:05

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 14:05
bought 2 things through ebay its so addictive i love it.
but yes a real worry when it comes to paying money and hopeing that what description they say is correct and that they do sell it.
what i do is net bank the money across and put a description what its for and hope to hell that the law (small claims court) would come through for me if it did go wrong.
the last thing i bought was a nudge bar for the triton for 100 bucks im going down to the wollongong sat to pick it up. and making a bit of a day of it.
AnswerID: 28295

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 14:10

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 14:10
Hi jonny,

I've bought stacks of clothes for the kids...cheap as chips..and ok too, esp for a 2 year old and a 4 year old..I don't care if they're not brand new...but..this was a bit different..and there are a stack of them on ebay at the moment..and you kind of start to worry about it...but I checked in with Al a few minutes ago and he seems stoked...he sat down and did a few comparisons last night and thought it was good value if it does what it says it does...

cheers

Lyn

PS I netbank the money too, makes it very easy that way...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19587

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 15:24

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 15:24
Ive bought and sold 100's of things on Ebay in last 4yrs, and only once had a problem (that is 3 weeks ago actually). From electronics, model railway stuff, car bits, Movies, and lots more.

Again checking feedback is about as good as you can get, but the person I bought off has over 300positives and zero negatives... My Still aint turned up.

YMMV
AnswerID: 28301

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 15:30

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 15:30
Hiya Truckster...

I bought a music box once from the states for my little girl [cinderella!!] anyhow the person told me they posted it, and I waited and waited and waited...and I was emailing the person and no reply in the end I posted some really negative feedback..and WOW they contacted me, really got narky with me, and I got narky back...anyhow..low and behold 2 weeks later the music box turned up [in perfect condition] strange though it turned up after the bleep e I gave her...ehehhe...it took over 3 months!! and I know normal post takes 10 days to the East coast of the States...

FollowupID: 19594

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:36

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:36
Lyn, My wife say's you're giving the other girls a bad name but she is impressed Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 19625

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:50
Hi BJ [and Mrs. BJ]

you know what they say about "if you cant beat them join them"..I decided a loooooooong time ago..it was far easier to join Al..ehehe..

I just missed out on a winch tonight....now..I'm looking at a new bullbar....

FollowupID: 19631

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:50

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:50
Hi BJ [and Mrs. BJ]

you know what they say about "if you cant beat them join them"..I decided a loooooooong time ago..it was far easier to join Al..ehehe..

I just missed out on a winch tonight....now..I'm looking at a new bullbar....

FollowupID: 19633

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:24

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:24
I've purchased stamps thru sold and ebay, and to date have not had any problems. But there appears to be some who do not pass on the goods. They get your money and dont forward the goods. Just look at a particular stamp dealer? in asia somewhere who and advertises his stamps and who does not have a good rating from puchasers (on either of the sites) where-in he only accepts used currency.....if this is an a honest john i'll go jump. But it is also well documented that there are others who scheme...take the recent (paper or Tv?) news item where a person advertised plasma TV's. he got the money but no goods are forthcoming...
Ebay and Sold cannot help in this situation.
I hope I havent made you worry unduly Lyn, old story caveat emptor especially where auctions are concerned.
I am very cautious when buying a stamp/s at prices greater than $100.00. I only wish Ebay and Sold would allow only items to be sold by registered sellers or that they act as a go-between for the seller and buyer.Wow! am I cute
Richard
AnswerID: 28307

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:31

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 16:31
Hi Richard,

You haven't worried me.....Will got his air compressor...so I hope I get mine too.....

BTW Sold is closing up shop as of the end of the month I think..ebay taking over....

FollowupID: 19602

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:41

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:41
gday mr&mrs all.
my wife and i have just recently discoved ebay.:-)))))))
we have bought heaps and heaps.
video cam/car stereo/dvd players/digital cam/and heaps and heaps of clothes.
we usualy check feedback first if thats ok i guess its just lets hope they send it.
or the other option is cod.
the air compressor you got are pretty good for what they are.
i have a similar one and i dont have any probs.
not much slower than arb.(some people will argue).
and you never did get back to me about that internet date:-)))—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 28333

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:00

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:00
Hi diamond...

I could be you're worst nightmare....

PS..when the cruiser needs a new set of tyres can I come and see you... :)

FollowupID: 19617

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:07

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:07
of course but i might be a worse nightmare lol.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 19620

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:11

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:11
oh...well that's the risk I take....

the 'cruiser won't be ready for a new set of shoes for about 10 months...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19621

Reply By: Williewags- Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:02

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:02
I'm lucky...I don't have money to buy anything from Ebay.

What is this denial about internet dating.......I've seen posts by Bruce and Alapaca.......(ooohhhhhh...... Alapaca had better send Mrs Al a photo).......that have been very suggestive. Just as well David and Michelle were away.
Cheers,
Williewags

Gunbarrel Highway.

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 28338

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:06

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:06
jealous Williewags??

Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19619

Reply By: Thor - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:56

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 20:56
COD - cash on delivery eliminates most nasty scams...
AnswerID: 28357

Reply By: dogart - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:19

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:19
just had a look at the compressor
not bad at all
a couple of questions...
any warranty on these units and
can they be mounted in the engine bay
(compressor footing, could it accomodate h/duty fixtures
for mounting)

anyone in WA interested in getting one
get multiple and save heaps on shipping
read down the bottom of the ebay page for the compressor

cheer
AnswerID: 28364

Follow Up By: Will - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 23:17

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 23:17
i dont think these come with a warranty...there's no mention on the page and nothing in with my compressor. the compressor does have a footing for mounting, although i dont know how strong it is (havent had a close look). I've only quickly tested it and it seems to work fine....the big test will be in a few weeks up in the kimberley! you should aim to bid tops around $70-80 for these....perservere and you'll get one. The shipping is over the top for us sandgropers ($36), hey you can send 5 kilo on australian air express anywhere in Australia (almost) for $15! and thats overnight. good luck :-)
FollowupID: 19656

Reply By: dogart - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 23:21

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 23:21
thanks for that Will

how much would the entire package weigh do you think

I might email seller and see if other options are available

cheers
wolf
AnswerID: 28381

Follow Up By: Will - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:34

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:34
it doesnt weigh too much, say about 1 kilo at a guess. i dont think auctionbrokers will be too helpful in terms of other options, they sell loads of stuff and you might find they're too busy to help...!
Will
FollowupID: 20073

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 00:29

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 00:29
Have brought and sold a few things all bargains as well !
I just wish all the 4wd forumites would stop bidding on a vehicle uhf so i can finally get a decent priced in car unit .
every time i bid and set price it goes for near new price (bugger).
cheers

PS bubs is home now and doing very well1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 28385

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:21

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:21
hey glad to hear he's doing well...Laugh alot..life's too short not to....

FollowupID: 19663

Reply By: Member - David - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:15

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:15
Hi
My son bought the same item from our local super cheap store here in Adelaide a week ago for $69.00 bucks , i was in there today and they still have loads of them available.....Cheers Dave.......if i can be of any help to anyone after one let me know
AnswerID: 28389

Reply By: dogart - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:03

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:03
I've just gone and had a look at superchepauto's range

there is one that is identical to the one on ebay but slightly higher specs
40Lpm and 160psi
1 year warranty
$149
same accessories as ebays compressor.
the one for $69 is very basic with no long hoses/bag and lower specs

I'm thinking if I were to get a cheapy
I'd pay the extra $50 to extra 5Lpm and upto 160psi
plus a warranty
It would be $100-$110 for the ebay one by the time it gets to perth
and no warranty

hope this helps some others out.

cheers
wolf
AnswerID: 28437

Follow Up By: Member - David - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 21:15

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 21:15
Hi Dogart
My son informed me today that the local sprint store here at Munno Parra ( im assuming your from Adelaide)has a different pump to the grunter wich is the one i was reffering to at supercheap , for $79, might pay you to check them out as well .........Cheers DAVE
FollowupID: 19735

Follow Up By: Member - David - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 21:18

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 21:18
BTW Dogart , if your not in Adelaide let me know , id be happy to check it out for ya
FollowupID: 19736

Sponsored Links