Great Ocean Road, Which way and when is best time

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 20:59
ThreadID: 66540 Views:6834 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Am heading south from Queensland and am tossing up whether to go inland from Newcastle and down the Murray to Adelaide

Alternativey bypass Sydney and Melbourne and go via the Great Ocean Road as I have been told that north to south is the way to go and April is the month to do it.

What do the experts think.

My original intention was to come back up from SA in about September.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:42

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:42
Anytime is a great time to visit Victoria Graham. Just bring some rain with you. Autumn should still be fairly dry. East to west or vice versa, it doesn't really matter. If you go west, you'll have good camp spots in the Otways at the end of the road. Johanna Beach is a good open site and free. Just be sure to avoid the school holiday period around easter as it's a killer for traffic and people. Very crowded.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352412

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:44

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:44
Hi Graham
For us, the best way to do the Great Ocean Road, is to start at the eastern end (say Torquay ) and make your way west around the coast.You will find that most, if not all the lookouts are one the same side of the road ( the seaward side) and to get to some of them means having to cross over the other side of the road, some times near blind corners. There is a lot to see on the Great Ocean Road, so do not rush the trip. We found the Otway Fly Tree Top Walk a must do. We would not pay to see the Cape Otway Lighthouse again, as there are a lot of other Lighthouses to see along the way, and free of charge. There are some great back tracks from Beech Forest, down to Apollo Bay. While in Apollo Bay, do not miss Mariners Lookout, just sit there and admire the views. Near the end of the Great Ocean Road is the very quaint little seaside town of Port Fairy, with Griffiths Island and Lighthouse.

I could keep on writing, as there is so much to see and do. This is one road that we never get sick of travelling on, and we are back that way again in October.

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the Great Ocean Road. Here are a few shots that may temp you to make it a must visit destination. Make sure that you then head around to Mount Gambier, Robe, Kingston then up to Adelaide.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352413

Reply By: Mad Cowz (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:49

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 21:49
There are 3 good times to see the great ocean road I think,
1. In steady rain can be nice as there are many warm places to stop along the way, pubs, B & B, etc.
2. sunny weather makes all the places really pleasant to visit and the coast looks so tranquil.
3. Afther 3 days of a howling south-westerly, the sea reminds you what it can do and why so many ships sunk.

That covers most of the weather we get down here!!!

MC
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 352415

Follow Up By: beelzebug - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:32

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:32
And that's all in ONE day!
FollowupID: 621389

Reply By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:04

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:04
Well when i did the Great Ocean Road on my motorbickle there was only two ways to see it the best way and that was, once quick, and then ride back inland and do it again, slow, never regretted it.
AnswerID: 352421

Reply By: Wherehegon - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 22:05
And also if you dont mind heights do the Joyride on the helicopter at the 12 apostles. Fantastic view from up above. I think for memory they had a maximum weight for a person of 130kg. Was around $90 per person. We stayed at the caravan park at Lorne, great park and heaps of wild life meet you in the mornings. We also had dinner twice at the pub 2 minutes walk from the park, great meals. Good point above on the lookouts all on one side. Just watch the buses...Loved the trip.........WHG
AnswerID: 352422

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 05:53

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 05:53
There are free parks at Aire River East and West on the Apollo Bay side of Glenaire. Quiet (usually) and 10 min walk from the beach.

More info on them and on the Otways here:

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=47
AnswerID: 352462

Reply By: Member - colin M (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:21

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:21
Spent my ill gotten youth their most weekends surfing from Torquay to Apollo Bay. If you want to swim in April water temp will be about 10c so pack a wet suit. Don't miss the Wye River pub and even Ayres Inlet all the new pub is not as good as the old one or Tods pub at Lorne on the point. If you can leave the van behind try the wild dog creek road in the Otways for some spectacular views. East west is probably best.
AnswerID: 352757

Sponsored Links