vehicle ignition

Submitted: Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:39
ThreadID: 6655 Views:5004 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, if someone can help me, I have a 1990 4.2 petrol nissan patrol (GQ) with points ignition and Im trying to find out if the fuel injection model distributor with electronic ignition will will fit. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen- Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 13:50

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 13:50
hi wayne,
not sure about efi dist fitting,but you might want to call Performance Ignition Services in nunawading VIC (0398723644) .They helped me with a misfire problem with my tb42,they do electronice ignitions for the orginal distributor.Or try piranha products (dont know there phone no),they have conversion kits to go from points to electronic for about $300.hope this helps.
Regards ,StephenJNQ
AnswerID: 28292

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:54

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:54
Yes it will
Read an article about a gassed 4.2 that used the injection manifold, cam and dissy.
Made good power, have you considered a pirahna opticle electronic ignition? (fits where the points were)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 28323

Reply By: Luke - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:34

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:34
Hi Wayne,

There are a number of aftermarket electronic ignition sources available, such as the ones mentioned above which introduce an electronic control unit into your ignition system, and replace your points with any of a few different trigger systems, such as optical, or magnetic types....

I can't speak for the performance of these units, as I've never tried them, but I built an electronic ignition kit for my '90 Maverick TB42 with a kit available form either Jaycar or Dick Smith....works very well - noticeably smoother acceleration through the rev range thanks to the extended dwell angle, economy improved by a couple of lt/100kms also.....

The nice thing about the kit is that it retains the simplicity of the points as a trigger mechanism - rather than using them as a current source, they send a very low current trigger to the electronic control box - and the box does all the work. The points will last a very long time in this state, and the setting of the points is no longer critical. IF, and it is very unlikely, ....but IF the control box ever broke down with this system, the box can be bypassed back to the original points in a very short time whilst in the bush to get you home - something that an optical or hall effect sensor type of electronic ignition cannot offer......if they stuff up - your stuck :-)

if you want more info, you can email me:

swbmav

at

yahoo

dot

com

dot

au

Cheers,

Luke.
AnswerID: 28343

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:39

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:39
I should have metioned that the kit I have described here only cost a little over $50 to build and install. Certainly a cheap option when compared to most of the commercial aftermarket installations.
FollowupID: 19660

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen- Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:06

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:06
hi Luke,
iam in the process of buliding the hall effects kit from jaycar , sounds like you have a good improvement over the standard system.Have you or are you thinking of adding the programable ignition kit ?It would be intresting to know if this kit would make much more of a differance.I should say i have a Ford Maverick with the tb42.The standard system had a missfire under light load but that was fixed by installing a extended rotor button.But iwanted to change from the points system so thats why im going for the jaycar kit, and being on gas the programable ignition kit might benifit the gas system.I also run upper cylinder lube which helps when on gas.
regards stephenJNQ.
FollowupID: 19671

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:30

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:30
G'day there Stephen,

I haven't really thought of building the programmable ignition component yet - I'd certainly be interested in seeing if it was worthwhile. I'm on gas also, so programmable timing may be a distinct advantage - at $58 I guess it might be worth trying.

What was the source for your extended rotor? I'd be happy to install one - it can only help to provide an easier path for Mr. Spark :-)

I'll be very interested to find how you like the kit with a hall effect sensor - I certainly am happy with the points trigger used with this electronic ignition, and like the peace of mind that if the control box should fail I can return the path back to the original points. Having said that though, if the hall effect provides distinct advantages, it may be worth looking at? Where are you sourcing the hall effect sensor from?

If you need any ideas for mounting the control box etc, let me know I can email pics of my setup for you....

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 19674

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen- Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:25

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:25
luke,
I got the extended rotor from Performance ignition services in Nunawading VIC 0398723644 .The price was about $65 if i remember correctly.
regards stephen
FollowupID: 19683

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:59

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:59
Thanks Stephen....will look 'em up :-)
FollowupID: 19697

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:24

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:24
Wayne.
One of the best ignition systems ever made was fited to the nissan blue bird. It is only 4 cylinder but with the rotor and cap from the Bosh comodore or similar you can get a very good set up for little money, Eric.
AnswerID: 28367

Sponsored Links