David Carnegie Rd to CSR via Gary Hwy, Kidson Trk, and East Talawana trk

Submitted: Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 14:27
ThreadID: 66561 Views:1884 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am tentatively planning a WA desert trip for 2010, possibly to coincide with the 2010 Wiluna Gathering.

Plans would be to go nth from Great Central Rd on the David Carnegie Rd, across the Gunbarrel to T junction with Talawana Trk, then onto Gary Hwy, Kidson Trk to intersect with CSR. Then travel sth to Wiluna.

Does anyone know anything about the portions of the David Carnegie Rd nth of Gunbarrel, the east end of the Talawana, and the relevent short sections of the Gary and Kidson that I would be on pls?

Cheers. S@L.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 16:22

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 16:22
S&L,

The David Carnegie Road (DCR) is a great drive that shouldn't cause you any problems. The road north of the Gunbarrel is called the Eagle Highway and it's a mixed bag but again no real problems (unless raining).

I have blog entries for all of the roads including track reports. Look in my blogs for July & August 2006, June, 2007 and July 2008 (Eagle Hwy). Here is the Track report Link. Darvid Carnegie blog is HERE.

Also very good notes on the Treks section of the exploroz site.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352582

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 16:33

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 16:33
Hmmmm you beat me to it.

Aren't you supposed to be working or is it a RDO?....lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 620769

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 13:02

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 13:02
Ha, a bit of "me" time on the work computer. It is 4:22 p.m. and I have been there sinced 7:00 a.m. Your taxes at work W.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620872

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 16:28

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 16:28
S@L

The roads/tracks you mention are mainly run of the mill stuff across grassy plains and a few small rises. They are not maintained and washed out here and there so you have to drive with caution.The David Carnegie Track north of the Gunbarrel is called the Eagle Highway to the Gary Highway t/o. It is pretty overgrown and washed out in places. You can do a run east along the Gunbarrel to the Gary Hwy and then north if you wish.

The Kidson Track is not in the area you mention but a lot further out to the west. I think you probably mean the Jenkins Track.

Once on the CSR heading south it is a bumpy ride over limestone ridges and corrugated tracks and then south of Lake Disappopintment you start getting into dune country but the dunes are mild and with low tyre pressures you should not have too much trouble

Cheers
AnswerID: 352584

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 17:26

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 17:26
Hi Willem and Mick, thanks for the quick responses.

I've opened up some of your links Mick - what an awesome trip. Notes will be very valuable as I continue to research options. I shouldn't have anything like your puncture count as I intend staying on the main tracks.

Re the DC Rd name. I have been using 'Roads and Tracks WA' as a scoping ref and the DC Rd is named both that and the Eagle Hwy nth of the Gunbarrel.

Willem, the same source shows the Jenkins Trk to the north of the easternmost extn of the Kidson (where the Kidson T-junctions the Gary according to that map!) as well as showing the Jenkings T'ing the Kidson.

Hence the confusion. I'll start opening up my Rasters to see what they say.

Cheers. S@L
FollowupID: 620783

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 17:46

Friday, Mar 06, 2009 at 17:46
Here's what the plaque says about the road at Empress Spring:

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620789

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:56

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:56
S&L

sorry for the brevity of my reply the other day but I was about to race out the door.

Here is the DCR track report I mentioned. Also member Equinox has a relevant entry that may provide some help.HERE it is.

Trust you'll have a great trip. It's fantastic country out that way.

Regards Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 352986

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 22:20

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 22:20
Thanks Mick. The feedback is making this option for next winter very enticing. Was the flooded pan easy to skirt off road or was there a detour option? Cheers.John.
FollowupID: 621170

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:40

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:40
Mick hi again. Followup #2.

Re your comment about 'fantastic country', would there likely to be much difference in coming onto the CSR slightly more south via the Talawana track, or as per my original email, via the Gary, Kidman/Jenkins options?

Thanks.John.
FollowupID: 621590

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:34

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:34
John,

send me a message with your email address to mickolsen13@hotmail.com. I'll reply with my home address. Much easier to communicate that way.

Regards

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621636

Sponsored Links