Forum 'member'

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:02
ThreadID: 66593 Views:1927 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Paid up again and am a fair dinkum member. It's nice to really 'belong.

I hardly ever use other member benefits, but do sometimes.

$40 hurts a little bit. I just wonder if there isn't a heap of lurkers and non members who wouldn't be happy to join up as 'forum members' for say $10 or $20, but don't see the benefit of the full initial join up and on going.

Okay... I'm a bit stingy, tight, cheap and spendthrift.

However, I just lost a load of horse feed off the back of the effie! The plastic wrapping broke. Even though I had it well tied down, the pallet load wriggled free. Live and learn. Son has explained that you need to thread the rope through the pallet and tie the bags onto it as well as tying down.

Cost me around $120 in lost pellets spread across the road.

So here I sit .... a paid up member, grumpy at what today has cost. ... grumpy old man me!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:20

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:20
Hi Royce,
Is that a photo of you on the funshow.com site? No wonder you are "grumpy"..... hehehehehhe... hahahah...

What horse(s) do you have?
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 352705

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:34

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 12:34
Yep.... that's me.

Horses? .... My answer "Too many!"

My better 3/4 Jen has a stud.... breeds and trains Endurance horses. Arabs...

Easing off now, but seems to have a heap of 'em. My calcs... it cost about $1000 per horse per annum, for the pleasure of this sport!

FollowupID: 620870

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 13:27

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 13:27
More like $2000 per horse per annum when you take it all into account .... farrier 4 times a year, supplementary feeding, worm medicine, coats for winter, new bridle once a year,etc etc etc,. And its all to keep the females in the family happy.....(lol)
FollowupID: 620873

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:11

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:11
Hi Member Royce

I'm a bit stingy too - so took the $270 life membership option. After the next 7.6 years - it's all free. I love this website and all the good people i meet on it.

B------- loosing those horse pellets. I'm a bit grumpy today too. Yesterday i moved my chickens down into the chook yard and a fox burrowed in overnight and took the lot! I am furious. Cost me a heap in food, let alone original cost of eggs and all my time. All that breed wiped out yet again.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 352753

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:12

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:12
Darn no edit feature - a dyslectic typo - i meant 6.7 years
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 620898

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:54

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:54
Ah..... condolences on the chooks. Know the problem.. been there before... on several occasions.

I just completed a new chook yard. The test is our Jack Russell. Sadly her hunting instincts come into play with our bantam Austrolorps. If she can't get them... then neither can the fox.

In fact the fox has to get past her!
FollowupID: 620964

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:18

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:18
Royce I doubt that you are really that "stingy, tight, cheap". It's quite normal to question the cost verses the value of any membership to an individual that may not have the need to take advantage of all the many benifits that there are on offer? For me as a non member reducing the cost to $10 would make no difference (money is not the issue). It's more the principle of paying to be a member of a commericial business that is flooded with adds & offers to buy at every level with benifits that are of little use to me personally.
Besides I see there are other ways apart from membership to contribute positively to this site like spending in the shop, answering forum questions or submitting photo's or track logs etc.
Cheers Craig............

AnswerID: 352781

Follow Up By: Pajpower - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:52

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:52
Here Here.....its a question of worth.....If you think its value you buy it, if not you don't.

I've been on both sides....this way suits me
FollowupID: 620963

Reply By: Member - Ron M (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:05

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:05
To my way of thinking , Ifn you cannot afford the membership price then you should think again about travelling around .. That's where the costs are ... MY THOUGHTS ONLY
Ron MACKENZIE

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 352815

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:27

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:27
Sadly for many this forum is the travelling they do.

I paid.... so obviously can afford.

The main problem is value.....

You can sit on the forum as a non member. If you are a member and only use the forum.... what is the benefit?

Shop items are not cheaper than elsewhere. Most info can be Googled....

Now I think about it... you made a good point. Those who can't afford to travel and want to be a member, possibly should have available an alternative membership.
FollowupID: 620981

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 14:59

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 14:59
G'day Royce
In what way do you feel you "belong" more now than before?
Since I see no value to me in the membership benefits I have chosen not to pay for something I do not want/need. I still support the site via occassional responses when I feel I have something worthwhile to say (unlike some who reply with absolute crap at times). Also I have purchased a few items from the shop. And I have an EO sticker on the CT so am advertising for EO.
So I do not feel guilty about not being a member.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 353073

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 18:29

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 18:29
It says "member" beside my name.

My wallet is lighter 'you get what you pay for'.

I help the EO / Beyond mob keep in business so the site keeps going.

Okay... I've run out of reasons of why I belong more now.... but I do.
FollowupID: 621300

Sponsored Links