Downsizing the patrol to holden colorado

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 13:51
ThreadID: 66596 Views:5139 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We have been working around oz pulling a van with the 2007 Nissan patrol auto 3ltr diesel. Now in one spot for a while in civilization, the good ol girl is a bit big to park and drags its feet around town.
Awesome offroader!!! Great on the highway, just need a long stretch when overtaking!! When buying the Nissan in early 08, explore Oz members recommended her and haven't been one bit disappointed. Im very tempted to trade her down to the new Holden colorado 3ltr trubo diesel, has anyone taken the holden for a serious squirt? I know the izzuzu motors are very reputable and colorado claim to be excellent on fuel consuption. would like to downsize running costs. Also downsizing the van!!

Sally
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:05

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:05
You won't find the colorado much shorter than the GU. A bit narrower and a bit lower overall height.

Better fuel economy, tows up to 3 tonne. Mate just purchased one and tows his 17 foot 6 van around with it.

I had a patrol and traded it on a Mitsubishi Triton better fuel economy and performance. Very happy. Tows my 2 tonne van no problems. Colorado has similar specs.

AnswerID: 352739

Reply By: landed eagle - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:38

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:38
After test driving all the current models of Colorado, Isuzu DMax,Ford ranger,Hilux,I ended up buying the Triton GLX/R. 3.2T/Diesel

While all these vehicles drove basically the same ( although the Dmax had possibly the sloppiest gearbox shift I've ever driven), the back seat of the Triton was way in front of all the others.

Had my backseat drivers (teens) try all the back seats for comfort and the Mitsubishi won hands down.
Very important to keep the animals happy!

The drivetrain warranty was attractive too.

Had it only 5 weeks but around town it's giving 9.4L/100ks
Had spoken the other owners in van parks before I bought mine,and they all reckoned this vehicle doesn't seem to change its consumption much even with a load on it.

AnswerID: 352761

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 17:05

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 17:05
I thought the Colorado & Isuzu Dmax were one of the same. Holden just spruces them up with Holden bits. A bit like Holden Drover and a Suzuki. Thus the gear shift should be the same? Ford Ranger and Mazda same deal Also. In the single cab, the Triton seats were no good for us, they were unable to supply it with single bucket seats. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 620912

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:59

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:59
I have the last model Rodeo before the Colorado, same motor & done 50k with it now. I dont think you are downsizing though, its a long car & takes a bit to park in what is provided as car parking spaces these days. Heaps of power for out on the road and overtaking. It will pull a van with ease, as I tow a boat up the ranges around here. You will start using 15ltr per 100k when you put the load on, instead of the 10s around town.
I have found it a good car but as I said i do not think you will find it much smaller. Cheers TONY
AnswerID: 352769

Sponsored Links