Google earth

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:05
ThreadID: 66598 Views:2077 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,
Does anyone know how to (if its possible) mark a track on Google earth (free version) and transfer it over to a map on oziexplorer?

Cheers
Hairy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:13

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:13
Hairy,
I've noticed that when you use one of the map making programs, (gmap for example), it doesn't show any tracks or points you may have displaying on the google earth program. If you capture it as a Jpeg and then move it into the the program and callibrate the photo image manually, you can get the features to show. A bit labour intensive and accuracy suffers a bit but the only way I know to do what you want.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352727

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:18

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:18
Sounds like I might be biting off more than I can chew....
But Ill have a go.
Cheers
FollowupID: 620879

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:50

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:50
Hairy,

There was a fair bit of discussion on this recently, initiated by Willem - see thread 66253.

The straight simple answer is Yes its possible and easy, provided you have a recent version of Ozi (at least V3.95.4q).

How?

Open Google Earth (GE) and go to where you want to make your track. Check that you have the left hand sidebar open (showing "Places"). (To open it, click the icon in the top bar next to the search button.)

Also in that row of icons is a drawing pin which will allow you to put "placemarks" on GE. These are what Ozi calls waypoints. But, better than this is the "Add Path" button (3 little squares with a dotted path between them. Click this and a screen appears for you to give the trackfile a name and set a place for it to be stored. Gove it a name and destination, buy DO NOT close that window.

Your cursor will now be a little square with tick marks on the side. Go to the start of you track, click and hold down the left mouse button and draw the track. (You can also just move along the track clicking as you go to set down placemarks.)

When you've finished, close that name-and-address window, which will create the file.

There will be a new entry with that name in the "places" sidebar.
RIGHT click and select "Save Place As", give it a sensible name and place to save it, select KML, not kmz, as the file type and click "save".

Open Ozi and load a suitable map.

Click "File", "Load from File", and "Import Google Earth (kml) File". (If that option is not there in the list, your version of Ozi is too old - download and instal the latest version. In fact, before you start, check the version number by clicking "Help"'About")

You should now have your track in Ozi.

You can also set waypoints (placepoints as GE calls them) in the same way (very tedious) and save them as kml files. It's worth creating a folder in GE to hold these, then save the folder as a kml file - that way you import all of them into Ozi in a single operation

Hope that helps

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 352733

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:54

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:54
John

You are a tireless helper and contributer to this forum. If you had not helped me out earlier I would have been none the wiser.

Now I can almost work through these things with my eyes closed..hahahahaha

Have also made a point of writing it all down in a word document so that I can stir the old grey matter wheh it is needed for such jobs

Thanks

Cheers
FollowupID: 620885

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:58

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 14:58
Sorry, fingers moved faster than brain! In setting up the "Add Path" filename etc, the last sentence should read "Give it a name and destination BUT DO NOT close that window"

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 620887

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:49

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:49
Gday,
Like Willem said.........
Thanks for the advice, I think Im getting it sorted.

Cheers
FollowupID: 620940

Reply By: donks1 - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:40

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 15:40
G'day Hairy

Have a look at 4x4 earth

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/gmap/

Sorry the "insert link" wont open

This is what you are looking for. You can upload and download files here

Donks1
AnswerID: 352745

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:22

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:22
Hi Donks1.

Good site for what i want.

Cheers for now. William H...Bunbury...WA.
FollowupID: 620899

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:50

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:50
Great site!

Cheers
FollowupID: 620941

Follow Up By: donks1 - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:33

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:33
Yeh its getting better too

The more people that use it and add tracks, the better it will be

Donks1
FollowupID: 620949

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:17

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 16:17
Gidday Hairy

A bit of charcoal works for me. Don’t press too hard, because it’ll scratch the screen.

As for transferring, I’d take a photo of the screen and stick it to the tail of the dog. Follow the dog around and let’s know now you go.

If it’s a well trained mutt you’ll be back at the pub in no time.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

LOL

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 352756

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:51

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 18:51
Thanks Kim,
If I cant work out the GPS Ill give it a go!!!
ROTFLMAO

Cheers
FollowupID: 620942

Sponsored Links