100 series Autos

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:11
ThreadID: 66608 Views:1810 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
my hunjy has developed a clunking noise when you take off and when it comes to rest at traffic lights, a mate told me that it was just slack uni joints and that the yokes just need to be repacked when thier changed, im starting to fear the worst and that the tranny is on its way out, has any one else suffered this problem and is it rectifiable(unsure of spelling its a big word) ant help would be great and what is a tranny rebuild worth?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:21

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 19:21
Before you panic completely and your drive shafts drop off wouldnt it be reasonable to check the uni joints.
A much cheaper and quicker option I would think.

Doe it clunk when u lift your foot and poke it down again.
If so start with the unis
Its Sunday tomorrow make it job of the day,
will take all of 20 mins.

cheers

AnswerID: 352788

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:21

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:21
Have you had the shaft greased lately????one of the issues with this type of thing is 'over greasing' the yokes, making it difficult for them to operate and can cause vibration.

There is an article in the technical section of the Lcool forum on the subject.

Other than that, what about your diff oil....have they been changed recently? It may not have the correct LSD oil in it causing the clutch plates in the to 'grab'....It happened to me only yesterday!!!!

Just a thought,,,I'm no mechanic.

Cheers
AnswerID: 352799

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:33

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:33
Inkbandit79
while checking the joints etc I would also be looking at the g/box & eng mounts for splits or breaks.
JMHO, Colin.
AnswerID: 352804

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:13

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:13
Andrew might be on the money with the diff oil, we did it in a Jeep when someone put the wrong oil in which turned the whole lot into one big lump and caused the same problem
AnswerID: 352817

Reply By: Inkbandit79 - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 22:06

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 22:06
Thanks guys the car has been regulary serviced by toyota it has 120000 on the clock and did tow a caravan in its previous life as i got it with the electric brake control it has no transmision oil cooler and after rweading a little bit about it im starting to think the worst as i dont htink it was looked after as good as they say it was, I will check out the sections in the tech guide and see what happens
AnswerID: 352834

Reply By: Pete N Fran - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 15:53

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 15:53
This sounds very much like the old 80 series clunk.

If your vehicle is a constant 4wd and not the part time version it could well also be the drive flanges. The spline on the flanges wears where the outer axle goes through them. Might be worth checking this before spending big bucks. A simple test will be to take the drive flanges off and test drive it. Dont forget to use the centre diff lock. If the clunk is there look further afield.
AnswerID: 353085

Sponsored Links