Great Central Road Feedback

We just came across the Centre Road,end Feb 09,with a 20ft BT van from Uluru
The NT bit was fairly corrugated with a few sandy patches becoming bulldust.
A nice campsite 2klms west of Dokker R. community.
The WA side is good, for the most part, a few light sandy patches but mostly good wide gravel.
We came thru during/after some rain and got very muddy but the road did'nt seem to be cutting up.
This road is definitely closed if there is rain so check before coming thru.
We were the last ones thru for a week from both ways.
it took us the best part of 2.5 days
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:08

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 20:08
Yep, pretty much as I found it when I travelled eastwards last year. Good wide fast dirt on the WA side, a bit sandy, rutted and corrugated on the NT side, but fortunately, not too much to travel on the NT side. We had no rain, so it was a breeze, esp not towing anything. I only cruised at about 90, as I wasn't in a hurry, but was occasionally passed by someone doing about 120, so the dirt was pretty good. We stayed in cabins on the two nights out, as it was winter (Aug), and one member was down badly with the flu.
Gerry
AnswerID: 352793

Reply By: cobber - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:34

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:34
we are doing the Great Central (west to east) early july with a off road van, can you recommend any must see things along the way, we are doing the outback way trip to winton and beyond.
AnswerID: 352827

Follow Up By: greenextreme - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:45

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 23:45
Hi there,

Check out www.outbackway.net.au and particularly the download page....from memory there's a list of sights / places to enjoy.

Failing that,there's the Outback Way Guidebook, which has lots of places to visit, things to do, sights to see, etc..available from map shops across Australia.

My favorites include Warburton Art Gallery, Rawlinson Ranges near Docker River, Uluru and Kata Tjuta, Owen Springs Reserve tourist Drive near Stuarts Well, Mt Palmer & Spotted Tiger campground near Harts Range, Wirrilyerna Parapituri west of Boulia, Cawnpore Lookout and Lark Quarry south of Winton [which is a great place to stop and revive!].

Hope this helps.

enjoy

greenextreme
FollowupID: 625484

Sponsored Links