car topper

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 21:37
ThreadID: 66619 Views:1727 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day I'm thinking of buying a boat to use as a car topper for the ute. Just after some info from blokes that are using them with regards to how it effects fuel economy and any down sides to a topper? cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - len W SWANSEA (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:51

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:51
hi there i have an 80 series diesel without anything and driving normally lol i can get up to and over 1000 Ks with both tanks

put my caravan on its an 18 ft 27 year old evrnew with the aerodynamics of a brick and i get no more than 600 ks with both tanks

with caravan and a boat on the roof of the car + self loading roof rack with a fold up trailer up there to + 18 hp outboard on the a frame of the van i get 700 + ks must help with the wind over the van i guess

but when i get to where im going i have everything i need

i figure if it cost to much i don't go plus there is nothing worse than getting some ware finding a great place to fish and yo u have a boat

i know this is not going to help you with your Ute and what extra fuel you will use all im saying it forget the fuel and enjoy the boat when you get there
........................len
AnswerID: 352860

Reply By:- Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:02

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:02
G'day,

I have a 3.5mtr Stacer Seasprite which sits on a Rhino Rack Boatloader on my Nissan Gu Patrol.

The time when it makes the biggest difference to fuel consumption is when you are travelling into a headwind; it does create some drag; however sidewind and obviously tailwind - no problems, less drag and fuel consumption nowhere near as bad.

Having said all that my Nissan was a 4.5l petrol which was down on power and high on thirst anyway (Bloody great car though!!!)

I guess the ting to make sure of is that you will use it if you take it. It is a lot of extra weight to take with you if it is something you don't use that often. This is what happened with me which is why I am selling mine. It is just over 2 years old and has only done 40 hours.

Cheers
Evan
AnswerID: 352861

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:52

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:52
Carted our 3.6mt Clark [12ft + 80kg ] on the roof rack of our 80 series turbo diesel towing Camp-o-Matic c/t for 6mth trip last yr . boat cost 1klm per lt , roof rack another 1klm per lt and c/t another 1klm per lt on average , takes a while to find the "sweet" speed to get the best fuel econ , in ours it ended up being 80-90klm per , any above that and watch the fuel gauge drop faster than J.H s dress did on the catwalk ,LOL.
AnswerID: 352883

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)