Fourth Flood at Birdsville

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 22:44
ThreadID: 66621 Views:4240 Replies:9 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Well everyone the fourth flood has arrived - was at 6.5m this morning but I can see from the kitchen window that the water has crept over the common today and is around the base of the bronco yards. The flood boat is going in the water in the morning so instead of a Sunday drive it will be Sunday boating - need to take some people across to their vehicle so they can go back to SA and later in the day pick up some people coming from SA so they can get back home here (wonder if there will be any fish?)
A supply truck came in on Thursday night from SA but he was chicken and wouldn't come through the water so at 9:30 pm several trips in several utes were done through the water to unload our food, milk and dry goods. The day before we finally got a fuel truck through with aircraft fuel. There have been a few planes here with people flying in and over the water and down to Lake Eyre. (Had fresh strawberries for tea - and fresh milk in my cup of tea - mmmmmm!)
Everyone fine - sandflies are not too bad, mozzies are not so bad but the flies are awfully friendly. See you when the water goes down.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 22:57

Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 22:57
Good on you Ruth,as long you and the main man are ok,nice part of Oz there when the weather is good ,Jan and I stayed a while in the van park there last year ,on our to Alice and beyond.

Regards Keith C
AnswerID: 352843

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:17

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:17
Keith, the weather is good. Went from 42, 43, 45 earlier this week to 17 overnight. Rest of the week is max 32 - don't need a/c at the moment - very pleasant
FollowupID: 621054

Reply By: Tony - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:31

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:31
Hi Ruth,
Thanks for the update. Planning a double crossing of the Simpson from Easter. What is your view when the water will be down for the tourists to make it into Birdsville? I believe the Birdsville Tk is closed by the Diamantina and Warburton Tk likely closed for months.
Kind rgds
AnswerID: 352857

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:05

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:05
Tony

I suggest you look at doing your double crossing from Dalhousie to Poeppel Corner and back or postpone your trip to July/August when the country has dried out a bit. Easter is only a tad more than a month from now and it is very unlikely that Warburton Creek or Eyre Creek will dried out in that time

Cheers
FollowupID: 621035

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:23

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:23
Morning Willem - the ARt Prize must be finished? With you about I don't have to reply.
Tony, Willem is quite correct - you will need to look at a double crossing by coming in from the west and returning the way you came (via different route of course). Eyre Creek is more than likely 20 - 30 klms wide - that is, about 20 - 30 sandhills with very deep water in between - either side of the actual Creek, and more water coming down. Have a look at my Post of last Monday/Tuesday of the water in Lake Machattie north of Birdsville - this water, and the water still around Urandangi must come down yet. It will be months and months and possibly more months. Sorry - that's what plans are for - to change and re-arrange. There is still heaps of desert to explore. Have fun.
FollowupID: 621055

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:39

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:39
Hello Ruth

Art Prize starts on 4th April. I am just about to start work on my contribution for this year. Judith is busy with all Admin and organising side of it. I am off the committee so to give others a chance for their input and contribution. Bliss....................lol

Cheers
FollowupID: 621060

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:04

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:04
Tony,
Might be a good time to do the Hay River. So come from Jervois, down the Hay River to Poeppels and then turn west and out via Dalhousie to Mt Dare or Oodnadatta. You'd need to get moving on the permissions.
FollowupID: 621075

Follow Up By: Tony - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:11

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:11
Thanks for the comments. Still considering my options.
Regards,
FollowupID: 621396

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:07

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 07:07
Hi Ruth
Our river system is miniature in comparison but I well know the heartache and despair when multiple floods occur, we had 14 in a 12 month period in 1968/69, feeds OK for a couple of floods but when all the high ground is eaten off and another flood event happens what can you do for the stock?
The Channel country survives on floods but to get the fourth after a period of droughts.
Passed through the Georgina Diamantina catchments area last winter, (droughts for years so nothing left feed wise to back up with At least after all the dry periods stock # were well down) my thoughts are out there for those guys, stock will still be isolated ,nothing left to eat on the higher ground, I guess the strong will survive again.
My thoughts are with all the Cattle men out there
Russ
AnswerID: 352859

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:29

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:29
Russ, nice to talk to you, but without taking away from your kind thoughts, don't stress too much about the poor channel country cattlemen - they are sitting on their sand hills smiling. A lot of the properties had been relatively de-stocked due to the drought, most properties in the channel country have river country and sand hills - the cattle get away up to the dunes which are vegetated. Out here the biggest problem is waiting for the roads to open to bring stock in - and now of course being able to source stock.
Having said this, up north of here and around the Gulf country the cattlemen do need our thoughts - the cattle which haven't been drowned have been standing in water for a long time - feed is rotting under the water, etc etc.and whether with the financial crisis the banks will lend money for re-stocking.
FollowupID: 621056

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:35

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:35
Thanks Ruth
I was thinking of the stockmen north of Birdsville.
As I was coming east on the Plenty last winter, come up on a mob of cattle, mainly cows calves.Pulled up, wound down the window to say gidday,as you do, young guy on the 4x4 bike shot off and a few minutes later the Boss pulled along side on his bike, we talked there on road for a couple of hours or so, they had a hard time with the dry, little bit of rain and then Gidgea pods were poisoning the cattle.
After a while yarning he asked me what do I do next? the cattle were to light to travel far on a truck, and he was right, I didn't have any answer.
Could see the windmill on the horizon so suggested I could go ahead and put a feed on as I was going to camp down the road a bit anyway.
We are OK put the camp oven on before they left, should be OK. was the reply.
I have been thinking of those guys, the cows I saw would not have the strength to swim very far.
At least the rains have come back
Thanks Ruth
FollowupID: 621418

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:10

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:10
Ah..the joys of living in the Outback!

Had a look at those pics on Wright Air website and the water flows are amazing...just wish some of that aqua could come this way

Sandflies, mozzies, flies etc etc....you are a real trooper living out there in the never never.

Are you still thinking of coming this way...if you can ever leave the 'ville ?...

Take care

Cheers
AnswerID: 352863

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:33

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:33
More than ever - haven't been out of the place since the first week of November. Everyone's got flood fever - like desert fever! Of course, if you look back in recent history you find that after a January flood it usually pours with rain at Easter - no, I'm not being funny either.
Can't fish here - too much water.Smoky Bay looks good the whiting are biting in March usually - haven't heard anything tho.
FollowupID: 621057

Follow Up By: handy - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 12:47

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 12:47
catfish and bream and mozzies are bitting well at windorah, only the odd yellabelly. possible storms for the rest of the week. cheers
FollowupID: 621090

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:31

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:31
handy, was wondering what was happening there. What are you doing about your northern fishing trip? Can report only a few little bites from the town tours fishing boat this morning - they anchored at Jardines and tried there!
FollowupID: 621100

Follow Up By: handy - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:17

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:17
water is about a metre under the bridge here and steady, as far as up north goes, packed and ready with 23 sleeps to go.
the road is cut on the tablelands and carpentaria hwy but still have a while to go, keeping an eye on tc hamish though. cheers
FollowupID: 621115

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:52

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:52
. . . with live reporting on Australia All Over right now !!!
AnswerID: 352874

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:37

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:37
Ha ha Mike - it's only 9:38 in Qld!
FollowupID: 621066

Reply By: Robert H (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 12:00

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 12:00
'Morning Ruth,so it looks like more water & more fish getting downded.Lol Glad you are finally getting fresh supplies of most things. How did you have your Strawberries fried ,poached, boiled, or with rich cream.? Mmmmmmmmmm.

Sorry we will miss you at the Festival was hoping you & Ian would be on the team for a win or at least on the the oposing end of the rope.Hahaha.
Take care out there & a safe trip back to the east when you can get out.

Cheers Bob.

Ps Cream is best of course re the Strawberries.:)
AnswerID: 352894

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:35

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:35
Should have realised it was YOU! Wish we could be at the Festival - would that be fun with all of us there.
We had strawberries without cream (none came on the truck) but with youghurt instead - yumm.
As it was Ian's birthday we also had Coconut Prawns - had some very nice big green ones which I cooked up in the wok in a tempura batter with coconut milk and shredded coconut - very nice. Ian had a few xxxx (how odd) and I had a glass of merlot (also odd).
Have a good time at the Festival - make sure EO wins the tug-of-war.Check out our new house while you are there Bob - only the inside to do now.
FollowupID: 621103

Follow Up By: Robert H (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:39

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:39
You sure know how to get mans mouth a watering don't you.Lol
Good to see you both have your beverages in moderation too.
We may not get a team yet as there is only one reply, but is early days yet.
Would check it out if i knew where it was. Lol
You only have the gyprock to do?Aer you to do that yourselves or get the pro's to hang & set it?
Wish Ian Happy Birthday from me even though we have not really met.
Had just learned to our youngest daughter a son was born at almost high noon today.Named him Hunter.

Cheers Bob.
FollowupID: 621120

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 09:12

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 09:12
Bob, just re-read this post as I had a feeling I'd forgotten something! Congratulations on your new grandchild - if he was born at high noon, shouldn't she have called him Randoph (Scott)?
Always good news with a safe arrival. Enjoy him.
FollowupID: 621207

Follow Up By: Robert H (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:00

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:00
Thanks for Ruth,funny you say call him Randoph(Scott) his father is called Scott & many others Probably.
He was nearly 10lb & near 22inches long not a bad size catch in the old terms.That make it evens all round now 4G & 4B.

Tried to check your house @ Rathdowney could not find it, not that i knew where to look either.
Keep safe Bob.
FollowupID: 621223

Reply By: Zylaxas - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:33

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:33
Hi all, forgive us were new to the forum.

What's your option of coming to B"ville early June from Nappa Marie Area and then heading north

Thanks Zylaxas
AnswerID: 352906

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:38

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:38
You will be able to travel either Cordillo Downs or Arrabury and into Birdsville (provided there is no rain of course) - as for north - that depends. Maybe north via Lake machattie bypass up through Coorabulka, Springvale and into Boulia or Winton.
Very hard to tell at this stage. Keep looking/askin on here because there will be plenty of updates.
FollowupID: 621104

Reply By: peterll - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:54

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:54
Hey Princess...you callin my mate Tom a "chicken"...too funny.

Just pondering leaving the snow to go visit young Phil down the road from you. Is there much chance of getting into see your from the south ?

Keep the feet dry girl.

AnswerID: 352909

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 16:21

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 16:21
Hello hello and hi there! Me not calling Tom a chicken - it was Stan who was chicken. You obviously haven't heard about Tom -
he had an altercation with a forklift and came of second best - just had another bone graft, he's not doing so well (and not a good patient either!!)
Just been across the river, that is - leave the grid, go down the creek which comes up into the billabong, go into the river proper about the old crossing (keep up with me Peter!) take a left turn, up past the automatic river height reporting tower, past the stables (no horses) right turn at the bridge and pull up on the bitumen on the racetrack side of the bridge. Went to pick up an organised pick up and found a tourist as well - so we brought him into town for a sticky beak and a drink at the Pub and taking him back on the next town tour for camera buffs at 4:00 - going through the lower level of the park this time!
Birdsville Track is fine- just can't get over the other side and it's a long walk to Mungerannie!
Will be talking to you - our teacher is at the snow today as well.
Have you been at Country Music Rocks the Snowy?
FollowupID: 621123

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 21:05

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 21:05
Hi Ruth,
can you please tell me if any airline flies scheduled flights for the public to Birdsville these days. I can't find anything on the web
Thanks
Ian
AnswerID: 354598

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:50

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:50
Ian, at the present time SkyTrans comes in from Bris - Charleville - Quilpie - Windorah - Birdsville - Bedourie - Boulia - Mt Isa on the Monday and Thursday and returns the other way Tuesday and Friday.
If you are hoping to go to Lake Eyre from here by plane it is almost impossible. If you ring South-West Air in Charleville they do flights, via overnight here.
FollowupID: 622801

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51
SkyTrans is flying a Dash8 in here - very comfotable.
FollowupID: 622802

Sponsored Links