Bushfire Recovery

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2009 at 23:41
ThreadID: 66623 Views:2290 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On the news tonight was an appeal to the public to go and visit the areas of Victoria devestated by the bushfires. Many business that survived the fires are now dying the death of a thousand economic cuts as there aren't any visitors to keep them afloat. Cancellation of bookings and tourists avoiding the area are the order of the day. It's adding insult to serious injury.

C'mon folks. the only pub in Flowerdale needs your support. So do all the surviving wineries, cafes and craft markets right through the still beautiful Yarra Valley. These businesses need to be open to supply provisions when the surrounding tracks are re-opened for 4WD access.

We watched Malcom Douglas tonight too. I knew we had an inverter for a reason. Next time we'll remember to take the electric mixer!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:42

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:42
Good idea Smiley Bill as Fiona will be looking for something to do over the next couple of weeks now all my commitments are finished. I did watch that last night and was having similar thoughts.

As soon as the chief arises I'll hit her with that idea which will probably be OK as I just had the Magnum out for a week p[laying golf and she spent all day getting it ready to go, somewhere no doubt. I broke the kitchen sink tap, didn't sweep the van the floor, put the kettle in the fridge and she coiuldn't find the coffee, but I'm not in too much trouble though! This could get me back in the good books.

Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352854

Reply By: Boobook2 - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:30

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:30
If you plan to visit these areas later, one good thing to do is buy youself a gift voucher if it is available, or book and pay now for later accommodation. This will give much needed cash flow.
AnswerID: 352856

Reply By: joe99 - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:06

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:06
I have the opportunity to get away for 7-10 days and was considering a tour of Victoria as a means of supporting fire affected caravan parks in the area.
But I did feel a little hesitant in case I was accused of being "ghoulish" (is that how it is spelt?)
Living in a bush fire prone area myself (though we have not had a major fire for many years), I have every sympathy for those affected and would not like to upset anybody.

Are there still any roadblocks or "no go" areas for travellers?

Is there a list anywhere of Caravan Parks currently open for business or is it a matter of ringing or emailing them individually?

Thanks
joe99
AnswerID: 352862

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:34

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:34
There are many roads closed and will remain closed for quite a while.

Some roads are restricted to residnts only.

Check here -

www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/BushFiresRoadClosures
FollowupID: 621064

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:09

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:09
Yep.

I would've ridden out today but so many roads north and north east from Melb are closed.

Only way to get to Flowerdale would be via Broadford or Yea.
AnswerID: 352914

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 16:55

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 16:55
Hey,

Yes we watched Malcolm make that pav...... puts the pressure on me now - Matt looks over at me and say's "hey you can do that to?"Malcolm made honeycomb last week - I am told I have to try make it as well..................mmmmm I hate cooking, love eating.

It was our youngest' B'Day on Friday and we took her to "Kidstown" here in Shepparton its a fantastic playground (massive) all for a gold coin donation, whilst we were there a bus load of kids turned up (they were all bush fire victims) it was great to see them having fun and the smiles on there faces.

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 352940

Sponsored Links