HJ61 gearbox noise

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:22
ThreadID: 66630 Views:6943 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all
My 3/89 HJ61 Sahara 12HT 5 speed manual gearbox has a slight whine in 5th gear and throw out bearing small noise at idle. Car has 190000km, gearbox was replaced by toyota 70000km ago so gearbox is only 70000km old. Has anyone heard of gearbox problems with this model? This vehicle was a torack tractor from Melbourne with a woman driver from new so I'm guessing its been laboured around in fifth gear?

Thanks
Steve

PS Love the Sahara and HJ47's, always good for a yarn.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:57

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 10:57
The gearbox noise will gradually get a bit worse. You'll probably find the same noise in all gears except 4th. Common in Toyota 4 and 5 speed boxes of the time.Mine did it for about 80,000k before I sold it to a friend who had the box reconditioned.

The throwout bearing noise at idle is different. I'll assume its present when the clutch is not depressed. Its just a nuisance, and caused by the bearing just lightly touching the diaphragm spring. Only way to get rid of it properly is to replace the clutch - the diaphragm spring usually has a small groove worn in it - the bearing is usually OK. If the noise is present with the clutch pressed, then it is the throwout bearing or spigot.
AnswerID: 352885

Reply By: Foxhound (WA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:08

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:08
The Toyota Land Cruiser gearbox from those days were troublesome to say the least. I have rebuilt many of them at around 100000 Km. The bearing on the fifth gear is a little needle roller bearing only about as big as your thumb and is located right at the bottom of the box. The bearings on the main shaft were too small for the job and soon started to flake the hard facing off. This in turn ends up in the bottom of the box and into the little needle roller bearing on the fifth gear shaft. Unfortunately this bearing runs directly onto hard facing on the shaft its self and when damage occurs it requires the replacement of the shaft as well. It maybe that when the gearbox was rebuilt last, this shaft was reused when it should have been replaced thus now at 70000K it is causing problems. The bottom line is at some stage in the future you will be looking at a rebuild and can be quite costly.
AnswerID: 352886

Follow Up By: SteveD - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:30

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:30
Thanks for the info mate, The box is only 70000km old, new one from Toyota ( have the invoice from previous owner) so should be right but obviously isn't. I'm a diesel mechanic ( earthmoving) so will probably put it myself and repair/ rebuild it. I will mate note of the info you have given me.

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 621111

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:42

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 11:42
Good morning SteveD.

I have a Toyota 84HJ/47, with a 12ht motor in it with a 5 speed gear box, and have just been through this with mine,and the problem i had was that the clutch plate had started to give up,and the 5th gear was starting to get tight to put in to 5th gear, and was also starting to get noise at 1500 revs, so i changed the clutch and preasure plate,also had the fly wheal skimmed, to clean it up, and new bolts for the clutch and fly wheal, and a new spigott bearing, thrust bearing, while i was doing this, i also did the rear oil seal on the motor,If you do change the clutch make sure "they" dont use after market parts,as the 12ht motor is different to the 2h, as the motors have a different clutch plate,and preasure plate, make sure you go to toyota and check it out for part numbers and you will see what they say, as the place where i have had the motor put in said the 2h clutch plate was ok, but the 12ht motor is different, and when it all fell appart they had to do it again at their cost,and i paid the difference for the new 12ht clutch plate kit from Toyota, also you get the thrust bearing in the kit so dont let them charge you for it, as a seperat item, and what i found with the old 2h clutch plate was the springs were different on it to the 12ht plate, and were stronger, When your gear box was replaced by Toyota did they change the Clutch plate and preasure plate ?????, since i have done all this to the tojo, it is like a new toyota to drive. Hope this helps with what problems you have.

Cheers for now....William H...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 352892

Follow Up By: SteveD - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:41

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 14:41
Maaaattte, I have a 8/84 HJ47 which is in as mint condition as u could get for a 24yr old toyota, not a mark on almost anything, my 47 is my toy but gets used. The reason I bought the HJ61 was for the engine and gearbox for the 47. When I got the 61 from melbourne it was in such good condition I've decided to keep it for a few years before it gets gutted for the 47. I'm a diesel mechanic and have fitted power steering to the 47, it made it a heaps better vehiclle, lock to lock in a car park with one finger. Pity the old 2H is such a boat anchor. If I can help with any info on your 47 I would like to help if needed, I would love to hear more about your 47, If you had a photo of in the engine bay that would be great.

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 621114

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:38

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:38
Steve i will put some picks up for you later today of the hj47, and i have put pwr steering on also,one other thing the 12ht motor is heaver than the 2H motor,

Cheers for now...William H...Bunbury...WA.
FollowupID: 621119

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:53

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:53
They often get noisier close to their oil change.
Ive had a couple rebuilt and there is always a mild whine in 5th
AnswerID: 352908

Reply By: Foxhound (WA) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:14

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 15:14
Steve,,As you have probably realized I am a diesel mechanic too. To get those gearboxes apart you will need to get hold of the genuine Toyota gearbox puller set. They are designed with little half moon slots in the housing and only the Toyota puller will fit in to get behind the bearings. When you do the job make sure to change the syncro`s as well as they will cause trouble down the track.
AnswerID: 352926

Sponsored Links