Windor Rapid Dust

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 12:51
ThreadID: 66633 Views:3388 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,
Last year we travelled many gravel (dusty) roads in the Pilbra and NT. Lots of dust got in via rear bed. Does any one have ideas to seal bed ends on Winsor Rapid. The caravan performed very well other than dust ingress.

Windsor Rapid RA432, Toyota Lancruiser 100
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:03

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:03
I guess you could duct tape the join on the rear door seal.
Other than that how old are your seals maybe they need replacing, mine look a little frayed and the van isn't a year old yet.

You may also wan't to put duct tape on the ply panelling under the matress. I use to get a draft throught there so I guess dust will be no problem.
AnswerID: 352902

Follow Up By: Brian & Shirley (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 16:09

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 16:09
Thanks Roughasguts, the duct tape was an improvement, but
after a short while the turbulance at the back peeled it of :-(
And it was pain in the a*** to do day after day.
The seals(such as they are) dont seem to do much.
That is the problem. As you know it is a very large area.

Looks like we will have to put up with it.
FollowupID: 621122

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:20

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 13:20
The best way (after sealing as best you can) is to pressurise the inside with clean air.
Have an open scoop as high as possible to bring clean ram air inside, then all the low down leaks in the dusty areas will be OUT, not IN.
It works.
Your van must have a high level open vent (to comply with gas regs). Make the ram air vent do that job too.
Crossing the CSR, heading west.

See the vent in the centre of the bed-over above the windscreen? That is what that is. It is an "S" bend so the rain can't get in and is permanently open.
We get dust in the cab (when we drive with the windows open), but we don't get ANY in the back.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 352904

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:42

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:42
I reckon the goanna on the side of the Oka is hungry Peter, just the way it is looking up at you. LOL
FollowupID: 621156

Reply By: Member - colin J (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 17:33

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 17:33
Hi Brian & Shirley,
I have travelled extensively on dusty roads with our Windsor Rapid and have been rapt at how little dust has come in. I had fitted a scopper vent to the roof which helps pressurise the interior and at the ends i fittedl draught self adhesive foam in addition to the seal that comes with the van.
Hope this helps,
Regards from Col.

AnswerID: 352945

Follow Up By: Brian & Shirley (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 21:56

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 21:56
G'day Colin,
Thanks for your reply. Please tell me more about the extra self adheisive foam. If I can stop the large amount of dust coming in the rear bed, the scopper vent(which I have already fitted) would have a chance to work.

All other places have been sealed(door,frig vents and under body)

BB & SB
FollowupID: 621459

Follow Up By: Member - colin J (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:23

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:23
Hi BB & SB,
You can buy the foam from any large h/ware and then peel off the back and stick it around the opening so when the end is closed it forms an additional seal to whats already there.
From all the offroad stuff i've done there are a couple of things to watch on the rear of the Rapids.
Firstly the end is not solid as in most vans so will flex etc as you tow the van over rough stuff. This can cause the locking rods to wear away the aluminium it rubs against, so the rear door does not seal as well, then more dust!
To prevent this i fitted a steel cleat where the rod goes so once it is set right, it should not then become loose, and the seals work better and for longer.
To prevent the whole end racking and make the van stronger i fitted hold down cleats (same as the ones that hold the roof down) at the bottom left and right of the lift up panel. This totally prevents any movement of the panel so no more rubbing and all seals remain perfect. If you wish to contact me direct to arrange a visit to see what i've done, if the above does'nt make sense, feel free to do so. I'm in the Northern suburbs of Melb.
All the best,
Regards from Col.

FollowupID: 621588

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:47

Sunday, Mar 08, 2009 at 21:47
Brian and Shirley, a lot of people don't think about air conditioners when they are looking for dust ingress. There are some that have hidden drainage holes that mean you can't pressurise them until they are blocked off. You don't say whether an a/c is fitted.

I know that some manufacturers have found problems with them, and the a/c manufacturers have claimed them to be sealed, but that you can't block off the drainage holes.
AnswerID: 352982

Follow Up By: Member - colin J (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:29

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:29
Hi JohnR,
Is that picture of your rig on the Cattlewood Pass? out of Arltunga on the way to Gemtree ???
Regards from Col
FollowupID: 621589

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 17:48

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 17:48
Col, it was just near the Dneiper Creek. A group of us had camped near by off Binns Track. You were right about on the way to Gentree. I think the second picture is the four Karavans from the evening before.
FollowupID: 621596

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:28

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:28
Hi mate, i also have a Rapid off road and it is fitted with one of those vents in the roof to pressurize the inside. I found that you need to block off the bottom door vent for it to work properly. I do this buy putting a piece of foam between the screen and the solid door with some vinyl glued to one side while traveling. I also put thicker sealing foam around the back, 20mm. also there is a vent up the back top right corner that needs to be blocked off. i have had no problems since.
shane.
AnswerID: 353160

Sponsored Links