Toyota 2H Diesel -injectors?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 17:47
ThreadID: 6664 Views:15062 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I have a diesel troopy – 2H motor. 300K on the clock. Had injectors done about 10k ago and it hasn’t been the same since! It’s been back twice to the mechanic and although better than it was still not happy and have been trying to learn to live with the extra smoke etc.
The bit that is really giving me the irrits (?) is when I start it in the mornings it blows a big puff of black smoke followed by 5 to 10 seconds of white smoke - during the first 20 seconds it feels and sounds like its running on 4 or 5 cylinders. Then even after I have warmed it up, the first 2 or 3 minutes sounds like there’s a little man with a hammer clanging and chatting away in the motor.

Uses about 500ml of oil per 3000km
Fuel consumption steady at 13.5 lts per 100k.
Getting a noticeable heavy soot build up in the tailpipe
Power feels a bit down (but not much).
Glow plugs were replaced about 30K ago.
I have had it dyno tuned since the injectors were replaced.

Mechanic say's let's do the fuel pump (easy for him to say - he's not paying for it!) My point is that none of this was happening before we changed the injectors.
Does this sound like an injector issue? Any ideas of a cheap fix?

As always – good advise always appreciated
Cheers
Alex
P.S Have changed speared mechanic!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ToyMotor - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:36

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:36
... followed by 5 to 10 seconds of white smoke - during the first 20 seconds it feels and sounds like its running on 4 or 5 cylinders.

This is the exact symptom I had in my 60 series 2H when one glow plug failed - I thought the motor was completely stuffed, but after changing the glow plug all was well again. Mind you, it was the only glow plug that ever packed up on me, and I did over 150kkms in the car (400 on the clock when I sold it)

Cheers
AnswerID: 28332

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:05

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:05
Thanks ToyMotor, i was starting to lean towards that, but I have become so fixated on the injector hassels that I am having a problem seeing the wood for the trees.

Will check and let you know how I go
Thanks
alex
FollowupID: 19618

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:05

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:05
Alex.
An injector pump that is tired can work ok with tired injectors, when the injectors are retiped the pressure goes up and may be to much for the old pump, but that shoes up as low power, not big smoke, your symtems are more like glow plugs or in your case the connections, the aluminium strip that connects the plugs can crack at the plug. I use a wider strip of aly when I do up these motors, it lasts longer because there is more aly beside each hole. Eric.
AnswerID: 28361

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:34

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:34
Thanks for the tip Eric, I'll check it this morning
Cheers
alex
FollowupID: 19669

Reply By: Eric - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:07

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 21:07
Alex.
An injector pump that is tired can work ok with tired injectors, when the injectors are retiped the pressure goes up and may be to much for the old pump, but that shoes up as low power, not big smoke, your symtems are more like glow plugs or in your case the connections, the aluminium strip that connects the plugs can crack at the plug. I use a wider strip of aly when I do up these motors, it lasts longer because there is more aly beside each hole. Eric.
AnswerID: 28362

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 07:26

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 07:26
I done 450,000k on a 2H 47, injectors every 80,000 but only replaced glow plugs twice. But as stated the strip that joins the injectors together can cause problems like you describe.
AnswerID: 28392

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:35

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:35
Thanks Tony, didn't think of the strip until you and Eric pointed it out.
Cheers
Alex
FollowupID: 19670

Reply By: andy - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:33

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:33
Sounds like glow plugs even though they have been recently replaced. Check that all of the plugs are connecting to the power bar. Also check that the power bar is not shorting on anything. The bar has a coulpe of pieces, check that the contact points are all clean and touching firmly. Would pay to check the cable to the power bar as it may have come off when the injectors were replaced. Check the screw downs on the glow plugs and make sure that they are pushing th ebar down onto th eplugs firmly. Wire brush all of the contact points in case of rust or corrosion too. If the weather has been really cold in your area you may need to glow the motor 2 or 3 times to warm the head up enough to start all cylinders together. When it is really cold here I have to glow twice in the morning. If it does not fix the prob then remove the glowplugs one at a time and check with a test light on the battery to see if they have a curcuit. You will find a dud this way and then you can replace the offending plug. Andy
AnswerID: 28425

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:40

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:40
Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Following on from the suggestions I have done exactly what you have all suggested. Removed the rail and the plugs, cleaned them all and all contact points etc. (didnt know your little trick on how to test the plugs - thanks).
put it all back together, fired it up and this time only got the puff of black smoke - no white smoke after that!
Thanks guy's, that got rid of one problem...now to get rid of the black smoke and the "man with the hammer noise" whilst it's warming up.

And yes it's been pretty cold done here in "sunny" Melbourne :-)
thanks again

Alex
FollowupID: 19710

Sponsored Links