Hay River anyone? around June/July

My wife and I are interested in travelling the Hay River route over the top of the Simpson Desert in June or July. we would prefer to travel in company with another vehicle. unfortunatley our usual companions are unable to do it this year so we are a bit stuck, we really want to do it soon. Sooooo I'm biting the bullet on this and we're are asking you if there is a couple who are like minded
and adventurists who would like to travel with us. There may be a group who are going there and wouldn't mind us "tagging" along. We are very independent normally but are stuck on this occasion. We are fairly experienced (ie Simpson Desert 5 times every which way plus other places) over the past 12 years. We've got a troupie (2000 mobel fully kitted for remote travel).
I know it's a big ask, are there any takers?? We are young 58 year olds fit energenic and very healthy. We live on the south coast of NSW but dont hold that against us, Ideally it would be nice to meet beforehand. We can obviously discuss it in detail on the MM. Just sending out a feeler first.... What do you think??

Cheers

Jeff and Irene
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mechpete - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:21

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:21
did it last yr in june , 3 , 4wds an 2 bikes had a ball
you will enjoy it , pity about the rip off at batton Hill
mechpete
AnswerID: 353097

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:38

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:38
If it's that much of a rip off Pete it's simple, don't complain just don't go! Personally I feel if that's the cost that needs to be paid to gain access to remote areas that are otherwise off limits then so be it. It's a miniscule cost when compared to the total outlay of vehicle setup, fuel & equipment. Our permits for this years trip up the Mt Davies road & beyond are going to be tripple that making Batton Hill access look cheap.
Good luck Jeff finding a travel companion, it's a great drive.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 621282

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:49

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:49
What's Batton Hill?

Is this a road through private pastural land that is maintained by the owner, or is is land managed by The Central Land Council?

I'm asking this as I have not heard of this before.

Dick
FollowupID: 621288

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 18:32

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 18:32
Richard,

Hay River, Batton Hill

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 621303

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 19:58

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 19:58
Hi Richard
Batton Hill is at the end / start of the Hay River trip. The land was acquired by good old aboriginal land claim. For the privilege of using this track north of the Lake Caroline turn off you get to Pay Lindsay a very nice little fee for the transit permit (that's strange, all other permits from the CLC are FREE)

Having said that, for me its the best Simpson trip to be undertaken, just for the scenery.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 621312

Reply By: Member - jeff r (NSW) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:53

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 17:53
Craig,Thanks for your support..It may be a bit iffy with the rain and all but hope I can find someone.

See Ya

Jeff
AnswerID: 353104

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 18:20

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 18:20
Jeff
have sent you an MM
regards
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 353112

Reply By: rosgeog - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:40

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:40
Stephen L,
The CLC permit is free. What you are paying is a transit fee to Lindsay to enable him to have someone at the camp to ensure it is clean and ready for use. Remember there is hot/cold showers. A barbeque and bough shelters. The camp is close to 500klms from Alice Springs and no one lives there full time. So if you were running a remote camp similar to this and you had to travel that far to maintain it what would you be charging to effect a fair return for your efforts.
Ross
AnswerID: 353187

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:11

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:11
Live South side of Brisbane - might be interested in Joining you
Have travelled the Simpson twice,The Ann Beadell,The Canning and Gunbarrel. Email address is trevor.webb@ausenco.com
Petrol Pajero ,me and mate both 52 years old. Wives aren't all that keen on remote travel. Haven't spoken to mate as yet but will do so when more detail
What time and how long are you planning to go for
AnswerID: 353191

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:17

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:17
Jeff - as you are a Member you have access to use the Trips/Gatherings section to organise this trip - this means it is published in a specific section so rather than let this post slip in the Forum it can sit in the T/G setion generating interest over the next couple of months.

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 353245

Reply By: Member - jeff r (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:24

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:24
Thanks MM I obviously have not used this before Good Idear thanks againd I may contact you via the phone at a later date re use of the plot files

Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 353258

Sponsored Links