THE GOOD OL` GPS

Submitted: Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:10
ThreadID: 66682 Views:3107 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I had a Garage Sale at the weekend and on Sunday there were two chaps of dark complexion browsing around looking interested in the variety of junk on sale. When all other browsers had left the two chaps asked me in very limited English if I knew where they could get a mechanic.
I replied “no not on a Sunday of a long weekend”
Then after a lot of trying to understand what the problem was I eventually figured that they had an electrical problem of some kind, possibly the alternator.
A while later I figured that the Ford Transit van was Diesel so once started, it could be driven OK but not at night.
More discussion ( I was getting better at understanding Arabic ? Pakistani? Indian? ??? by the minute ) “no no de cig plug”, ah now I’m really up with it, I get the multi meter go to test the cig plug and there is a GPS plugged in, no power at the plug , I find the fuse panel, ah ha the fuse is blown.
I fit a new fuse BINGO the Navman now works and they are both excited.
Many “thank you`s” later I learnt that they were travelling from somewhere in NSW to Adelaide, didn’t have a clue how to get there except to rely entirely on what the GPS told them.
I gave them a spare fuse and suggested that if another one blew to turn the GPS off and buy a map at a servo.
After much nodding of heads and smiles and very lengthy handshakes they reversed out onto the Highway the wrong way, drove forward onto the foot path, through the table drain, on to the highway and I presume headed for Adelaide.

I thought later that it might be the first leg of an outback excursion. Ha Ha lol

The Missus and I are still having a giggle about how some people manage to get about.

Scrubby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:25

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:25
Sounds suspicious??

Did ya report them to the terrorist hotline?? :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 353159

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:33

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:33
hey scrubby did you sell them anything $100 for a fuse very dear sunday?publc holiday sunday????lmao

steve
AnswerID: 353162

Reply By: troopyman - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:37

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:37
What has there skin color got to dowith anything . For instance would yousay I had a Garage Sale at the weekend and on Sunday there were two chaps of fair complexion .
AnswerID: 353163

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubcat (VIC) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:08

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:08
Troopy,
Yes I would if they couldn`t speak English, didn`t know where they were going except the final destination, didn`t know how to change a blown fuse,didn`t have a map, didn`t carry any tools - parts - etc, etc, etc.

These blokes were very polite and grateful for my help.
If I could have called a mechanic as they first requested what would the cost to them have been, 12 klm out of town on a Sunday ???.
What would he have said ??? Only a 15 amp fuse to change ???.

It is not my intension to denigrate any particular race, and if I can assist someone, whether they be Black, Brown, Yellow, Piebald or Brindle, I will help if I am able.
Well maybe not if they are Green.

If someone wishes to interpret my post as racist I apologise and may the Moderators delete it.

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 621344

Follow Up By: Travelling Pixie - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:11

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:11
It obviously adds to the atmosphere of the story by identifying they weren't caucasian males aged 22 and 35 originating from some white-Australian suburb.

It helps to build an image for the reader and contributes to explaining why they spoke in "limited english".

I am sure if the same story was told in Pakistan by some countrymen the term "two chaps of fair complexion" could also have been used.
FollowupID: 621345

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:56

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:56
Obviously he is just telling a story Troopy....no need to tell the story with Political correctness....sheeish !!

Can't we say someone is black...just because they are ???

FollowupID: 621351

Follow Up By: Alan H - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:56

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:56
I once described a colleague to someone looking for him who didn't know him, as a "small brown man with glasses". Boy, did that set off one of the more lunatic politically correct lot who loudly accused me of being racist.
What was I supposed to say "a small man with glasses" which would have described about a dozen others?
Most of this stuff is a load of bollocks in my view.
Alan.
FollowupID: 621372

Follow Up By: Horacehighroller - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:48

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:48
Alan H,
I think it offensive that you mock the visually impaired.

LOL

Peter
FollowupID: 621385

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:57

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:57
And don't forget he also had a go at the Height challenged

:-)

FollowupID: 621386

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:31

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:31
I notice the NRMA has stopped mocking the vertically disadvantaged - a while ago they used to advertise -

"it pays to beLONG"

FollowupID: 621406

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:42

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:42
"It pays to beLONG"
Horizontally challenged maybe? if you know what i mean
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 621408

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:54

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 21:54
A couple of weeks ago I was flagged down by a couple outside the Wangaratta airport. They were totally lost & were following their Navigation units every instruction from Sydney to Traralgon. It had probably added over 2 hours to what the trip should have taken & got me wondering how many others spend far too much travel time simply believing what the units are telling them without any prior planning on a map?
The other concern was fires were still burning throughout the state yet no consideration was given to choosing a route that would avoid them. Outside major cities they seem to be more trouble than they are worth at times.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 353168

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:14

Monday, Mar 09, 2009 at 22:14
Yes, a friend from the East (they do come over here to the west) had a navigator in his hire car and to get from my place to the city, it was suggesting going via the freeway (not a bad idea on the surface of it), but it meant driving a few kms away from our destination to get to the freeway. Other alternatives would still try to get us onto another main highway, but still a long way out of the way. On about the seventh try it chose (was almost forced to) the most logical way; via a fast dual carraigeway which was also the most direct route.
Even choosing the most direct route instead of its idea of the fastest route seems to leave me with the conclusion that these things have a mindset about freeways - get on to one at all cost.
FollowupID: 621347

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:56

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:56
My wife insisted that we get a GPS navigation unit.(She DOES actually need it.)

While "uncertain" of our exact route in the outskirts of a small country town outside Melbourne I reluctantly got the thing out and started following it's instructions.
It directed me to turn right, turn right, turn right and (you guessed it) turn right.
After about 4 km I drove past my original start point.
Fortunately, when we came to the first intersection (thistime) it directed me to proceed straight ahead - marvellous invention!!

Peter
AnswerID: 353221

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:51

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:51
A person of non descript colour and unknown place of birth was recently caught out by his GPS when he set the coordinates for his destination and followed them to the letter.

Problem was not his colour,race or creed but his absolute stupidity. He took loaded a B -Double on a road clearly marked as unsuitable for trailers and caravans just because the GPS told him this was the way.

He successfully blocked the entire road by tipping the unit.

Kevin J

AnswerID: 353225

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:52

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:52
Similar happens every week in Sydney ( Galston Gorge ). There are some real geniuses driving trucks LOL

FollowupID: 621412

Sponsored Links