Googs Track

Hi All,

We are doing a trip across to the Head of the Bight in August, and are interested in doing Googs from Ceduna then into Gawler Ranges from the top.
I have had mixed reports of how hard this is with a camper trailer. Had statements of easy as pie right through to no way with the weight of our camper. We have 3 vehicles going, Petrol/LPG 3.5 Paj towing a Jayco Penguin 1400kg, Yota 80 series normally aspirated towing about same weight. I'm also towing around 1400kg but I also have the camper wheels track a tyre width wider than the vehicle. (i'm in a petrol/LPG 3ltr Challenger.
Two vehicles have winches and we have numerous snatch straps etc.
I am of the belief that we shouldn't have any extreme problems but any feed back gratefully excepted.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 06:34

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 06:34
Hi Blaze,

The track can be fairly trecherous when towing mainly because of the very large and soft snadhills in the northern stretches of the track (After Goog's Lake). The travel to Googs lake on the southern section of the track should present you know real worries but I had issues with a sandhill or two as per my blog entry at the top of the Forum page. The nature of the track means that there are quite a few hummocks, blowouts and twists just before the summit of many hills. This doesn't allow you sufficient run up at them. Again not an issue when in a sigle vehoicle but a problem when you have better than a tonnew behind you. The Jayco penguin also concerns me as not being robust enough but you and the owner would be best to judge that. I towed a Tambo Cooper at about 1100 kgs loaded with a 3L T/D Navara. This LINK may give you some idea regarding the conditions.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 353188

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:32

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:32
Thanks for the info Mick, We took a Jayco Eagl across the Anne Beadell last year and only damage was the outside light being wiped off on the scrub. Just took it easy and motored along.

Will read your blog tonight.

Thanks
FollowupID: 621375

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:14

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:14
Hi Blaze
You will find Googs Track a easy little drive. The biggest problem with going the way that the National Parks prefer is people not knowing how to drive in soft sand. As you head further north, the dunes become larger (nothing like Simpson dunes as far as I am concerned) and this is where the problems occur.

Very high tyre pressures, not knowing what to do an the southern approaches are very cut up and it is near impossible to use speed to get over the dunes, just first gear and rock from side to side. One guy from Clare did it north to south a couple of years back towing a camper trailer. Got caught out on the first dune heading south. He remembered what I told him, drop the tyre right down, including the camper even lower and then proceeded to head south with no more problems at all. He then came across on group of new four wheel drivers, a very large group, with none of them having any sand experience - the out come 10 vehicles cutting the hell out of the dunes and nearly all getting bogged on nearly every dune!!!!

Googs Lake is a great spot to stay, but watch out for the usual stray toilet paper that is around the place, once again people not knowing that you should burn it before filling in your toilet hole.

I will give you a full run down on where to camp when I catch up with you in a few week.

It it was me, come from the north, keep your tyre pressures down and you will have a great little trip. If you are over that way, one very well kept secret and short, but great little track is the Buckleboo Stock Route, north of Kimba - well worth the drive.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 353192

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:36

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:36
Tx Stephen,

Will catch up in a few weeks and you can fill me in.

Cheers
FollowupID: 621377

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:35

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:35
Stephen's on the money......

Glen, we did it as a club trip a few years ago. Pesty was the trip leader and had the Cub camper behind his trusty ol' 60 series.

We did the trip the opposite direction to that which is recommended by the Parks people. Fortunately there were no repercussions (ie: head-on collisions at the top of dunes etc).

It was a similar experience to what we found with the Simpson. They recommend west to east, but we found that "going against the grain" was better. The east side of the Simpson dunes and the northern side of the Goog's dunes, are steeper.....but easier to get up because (with suitably reduced tyre pressures; around 15psi), you can climb up easily and then "waddle" down the bloody great scalloped-out holes made by the f-wits heading north with too much wind in their tyres!!!!

Roachie
FollowupID: 621382

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:33

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:33
No Probs Roachie,

Will have to work out which way do it, this is governed by when my Brother wants to do Gawler Ranges, but I will pass on the info. Thanks for your company on the weekend and the good little drive. When you get a chance give me a call re: your Laptop.
FollowupID: 621390

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:31

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 08:31
G'day Blaze

Better spray some of that anti-scratch stuff on if doing Googs otherwise your pretty little rice burner may come off worse for wear....lol

Googs isn't hard 4x4-ing.

It's now some years ago since I drove Googs, south to north, but I recall some seriously chopped out dunes on the approach sides of the dunes. Keep your pressures low on both 4by and trailer and you should be OK. Also don't pump the tyres up when you get to near Mt Finke when the country opens up as further on there are a few more soft dunes that may stop you(I made that mistake and had to drop pressures again...bugga)

Enjoy he Head of the Bight and the whales. It is really spectacular when the pods are frolicking so close by the shore.

Cheers
AnswerID: 353193

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:35

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:35
Gidday mate,

Probably got more scratches on my vehicle after the Anne Beadell last year than your Neeessan has.. LOL Lucky its white, it doesn't show. I thought all along the biggest problem would be the chance of having some 40psi vehicles ahead of us digging up the track..

We did the bight and the whales on the way home from WA last year, yep definately worth the look.

Cheers Mate
FollowupID: 621376

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:26

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:26
Gday Blaze,
I did it in 2002, and for a fair bit of Googs, I towed a 75series tray towing a trakshak. The chopped out approaches and the corrugations were the main issues, and with the heavy traytop and skinny tyres I needed a good head of steam. Lower your pressures to 18ish will solve most problems.

I should be up there with a Friends Group doing veg surveys in Yellabinna in August. I'd suggest you come up from the south so we don't meet head-on :-)))

The only downside we had with the camper was a broken trailer axle on the corrugations north of Mt Finke. About 4 hours of work and a nice bit of bush welding fixed the problem. Here's some photos. Have a guess which State of Australia the last photo came from :-)) The name "Southwarkhead" has stayed with this guy since!
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 353199

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:30

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 10:30
Gidday Phil,

We did a bit of the outback welding last year on the Anne Beadell, welded up a heavy duty ??? towbar. May catch up with you out there if your running down that way. I didn't expect to have to many issues with right tyre pressures etc. Hardes Part will be convincing my brother..

Cheers
FollowupID: 621374

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:41

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:41
Blaze we found the track relatively easy as far as sand driving goes. You'd get conflicting reports about it as conditions change. At times the track does cut up & with a 1.4 tonne trailer it could make hard going of it. The width of the Jaco in particular will see plenty of scratches off the mallee scrub. I'd also have some reservations about it's durability on tracks of this type even if it's an Outback version.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 353253

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:36

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:36
Hi Crackles,

Scrub is probably my main concern and especially my brothers, as for the Jayco its been offroaded shall we say, and only problem we had on the Anne Beadell was wiping off the sade light with Scrub.
FollowupID: 621419

Reply By: time waster - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:42

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 16:42
We did it with no problems towing a cavalier style camper from north to south with a td hilux 15psi car 10psi trailer all in high range and all dunes on first attempt.

We sold it for an eagle and went through the murray sunset n/p and found the car worked very hard over the dunes due to the wider track on the van this is the problem you may have on googs also it is very narrow in places next to fences.
AnswerID: 353254

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:40

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:40
Would have to agree with it being a problem the extra tyre track width, I have the same with my Eagle in the places where we have had sand to deal with, fences are a major concern, don't mind the scratches, they buff out but bumps dont..LOL

We live next door to sunset and have towed all campers through there, so guess we will give it a go and see how we go.
FollowupID: 621420

Sponsored Links