follow up to Thread 66310 about mobile wireless antennae upgrade

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 14:38
ThreadID: 66696 Views:2049 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks ago I started a thread about upgrading the antennae of my Maxor Bigpond mobile card and received many helpful suggestions.

Just letting anyone who replied know the outcome. I was directed to the Maxon Australia online shop and have provided it below for anyone else who is interested in purchasing a product to enhance the signal on their card.

http://maxon.com.au/shop/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=031fbdd982379d700fe675a62822adad

I bought a high gain magnetic base antennae which is enabling me to get better coverage. Have had as much as full signal (5 bars) to 1 bar and have been able to connect every time I have tried to in a fixed position in the house. Have only had it a couple of days but it appears to be an improvement.

Apparently these antennaes only work with Maxon products which is a bit of a worry for the future but I still have almost two years to run on my contract so I am hoping it is worth the $100 plus postage ($16) I paid to have it delivered.

Theres a 14 day period in which it can be returned if it doesnt perform as expected.

Regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:05

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:05
Hi Heather

It may be the same or similar to the one we have: Maxon C-3WM-360 3 dB Magnetic Base Antenna Kit - price tag on it $109 - purchased almost 2 years ago from a computer place in Karratha. It was purchased for the orange Maxon Telstra Modem (which was always faulty). The clip bit where the antenna clips to the modem broke, but this didn't make any difference as it still plugged in firmly. When we got a similar blue Telstra Maxon modem that actually worked, the antenna fitted in just the same and it had a new clip with it. Looks like if you need to replace, so long as it is a Maxon modem it will be OK.

For internet, we needed to use the antenna on the caravan roof, or in better reception areas inside by the window was enough. At Yulara we didn't need the antenna at all - best Next G reception of the whole trip. Even in a number of towns, the antenna is essential. At Wickham (near Karratha) the antenna needed to be outside of the house and even then reception was erratic and generally none at all.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 353236

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:25

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:25
Similar probably. Its a C5WM610 5dBd and uses the clip thingy which came with the Bigpond kit and CD to attach to the blue wireless card. Its about 60 cm tall.
My other antennae worked in many places last year when we travelled and I hope this is even better as we head to SA and then WA next week.
May even get to meet you and some of the other EO members I 'know' from here.
Cheers
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621404

Sponsored Links