Iridium or Thuraya Sat Phone Network?????

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:23
ThreadID: 66723 Views:7514 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am in a little bit of a quandry at the moment & wonder if some of you could advise.......
I'm considering purchasing a Sat Phone expensive yes (but with the government subsidy/rebate that I think I will qualify for, it will make the purchase more attractive....NOT that you can put a price on safety).
Speaking to the sales people some are suggesting 'xyz' phone & going onto the Iridium satellite & others suggesting buying 'xyz' phone & going on the Thuraya satellite.
The last person I spoke to was really pushing the Thuraya system, but did admit service may not be as good in Tassie or the bottom corner of WA...2 places that we be travelling to eventually.
Who has had experience with Sat phones & various satellites.?
I do have an HF radio that I love & use, but SWMBO would like the extra security of the sat phone. Any feedback most welcome.
Thanking you in anticipation.

Tony H
Hunter Valley

Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:37

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:37
I am with Telstra and Iridium

Motorola 9500 phone and the service has been excellent over the past 6 years.

But how REMOTE are you going travel? If you already have a HF Radio and subscribe to VKS that that should suffice!

Cheers
AnswerID: 353376

Reply By: Rossc0 - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:42

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:42
Likewise Iridium, with Motorola 9500.

Never had any problems with connection.

Use a normal Telstra 3G sim card setup with international roaming. This means that your mobile number is the same as your satphone number.

A few second hand ones around at the moment, make sure the battery is in good condition and chargeable as they're about $200 to buy.

Cheers
Ross
AnswerID: 353378

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:50

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:50
Tony I think you just answered your own question??
If the sales people of Thuraya are suggesting holes in the system then its not what you want.

Its a lot of money and quite defeatist in my view to invest in a system of any sort that has not got the tenure of time on its side with a proven track record.

Iridium is a time tested and proven reliable system.

I have used mine right across Australia including Tassie, SW corner of WA, Vic High Country as well as the outback deserts and never ever had an issue with obtaining a satellite lock and service within a minute or so.

Just look at the heartache the Global$it system has caused so many people.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 353380

Reply By: Member - Paul W- Esq (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:11

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:11
Me 3 for 9500 and Iridium.Telstra Card, international roam on and it has worked everywhere,anytime i have needed to use it. i dont think you can ask for more than that?
AnswerID: 353477

Reply By: Cape Kid - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:40

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:40
Hi
I am on the thuraya network and have had no issuess in WA. So far it has worked in every spot I have tried to use it between Perth and Broome. I have used both and they work the same. One just costs more and has a few more satellites. The thuraya satellites sit lower in the atmosphere then the other system. I have never had a call drop out and so far am very happy.
Hope this info helps.
Cheers
Capekid
AnswerID: 353616

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 22:03

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 22:03
Thuraya use one satellite fixed in the sky - in NSW it's 30 degrees above the horizon. If from your location you can't get a signal from the satellite now (it's behind a hill, below a cliff), you will NEVER get a signal.

Iridium uses 66 satellites moving across the sky continuously. If you are on a plain you will always be able to access a satellite. If you are in a deep valley and don't have satellite access now, you will have it in a few minutes.
FollowupID: 621837

Sponsored Links