Trip- Perth-Alice-Perth.

Submitted: Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 23:34
ThreadID: 6673 Views:1996 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
At the risk of boring all you seasoned travellers I thought I would I would make mention of our two week break which ended last Friday 15 08 03.
We towed a camper trailer with our TD42. Travelled via Kalgoorlie and Laverton through The Great Central Road to The Olgas and Uluru. Then to Alice for a few days before heading South along the Stuart Highway where we turned off and went through the dirt to Kingoonya to Wirrulla, Ceduna, back across the Nullarbor to Kalgoorlie then back to Perth. Great to get back to work this morning!!!!!
I haven't retired yet but I'm sure with a little more practice I could get to like it.
Regards,
Albert.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:29

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:29
Albert, it sounds like a great trip. It's a great drive through the Petermann Ranges isn't it. I love those first glimpses of the Olgas. Did you have any problems with the trailer? What were the roads like?Bob
AnswerID: 28396

Follow Up By: albert - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 20:07

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 20:07
Bob,
The trip was really good fun and its a coincidence that you mention the Camper trailer and the Olgas. The only problem we had during the trip was a wheel bearing which collapsed and it happened 12 km short of the Olgas. We had stopped beside the road to have some lunch and when checking the trailer I saw the grease on the wheel rim. In some ways the view of the Olgas from this spot was more impressive than when you are close. I was surprised by the size of Ayers Rock but I think The Olgas are underrated.
We had camped the night before beside the Petermann Ranges and they are also part of a very beautiful area. The road from Kingoonya to Wirrula was good fun - an interesting piece of country with a great diversity, salt lakes, claypans, mallee and some interesting ranges, lots of red sand, mostly station country. The road had taken some rain but other than a few large puddles was great to drive on. I think the rain was about 24 hours before us so it was enough to settle the dust without creating any problems. Have a look when you have the time.
I was not sure about going this way but it saved us about 360 kms against the route through Port Augusta.
The camper trailer was hired as a first trip to decide whether we want to buy one...............We do!

Regards,

Albert

Regards
FollowupID: 19730

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 22:03

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 22:03
Albert, I changed my photos to show you some shots of the Olgas. One is from the Docker River Rd, the other was from the bitumen road near the Valley of the Winds.Bob
AnswerID: 28494

Follow Up By: albert - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 23:54

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 23:54
Bob,
Great shots of some great country. Just a pity we don't have more time to spend in these areas.

Regards, Albert.
FollowupID: 19765

Reply By: Member- Rox - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 00:09

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 00:09
albert, How long did this trip take you as I am planing similar Next year?Have 4WD will Explore
AnswerID: 28807

Follow Up By: albert - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 00:33

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 00:33
Rox,

We spent 14 days away from home. We left on a Friday at about 3.oopm and returned on a Friday at about 3.00 pm 2 weeks later.
We bought our Patrol in Feb and this was our first trip away other than a couple of overnighters in the swags. I'm pleased we weren't in swags this trip as it was very cool on some nights but the camper trailer was really comfortable and with good bedding the cold was not a problem.
We spent 2 nights at Ayers Rock, 3 nights at Alice Springs and 1 night at Kings Canyon, the rest was overnighters on the road. You could do it a lot quicker but it takes away the enjoyment if you have to push too hard.

Regards,

Albert.
FollowupID: 20049

Sponsored Links