alice springs with a dog

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:34
ThreadID: 66744 Views:3177 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Heading off to Alice in early April with 3 kids and a mid sized dog. Have pre-booked the dog into a kennel in Alice, but for both his and the kids sake want to keep him with us as much as possible and only put him in the kennel when we have to. Not working to any pre-established plan, just take it as it comes. Was wondering if anyone has had experience with travelling with a pet in this area and can offer any advice. In particular around the touristy bits like the rock and King's Canyon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:43

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:43
John,

Much of the MacDonnell Ranges are National Park....no dogs. In other places such as Standly Chasm, King's Canyon, you should check the 'net to see what the local rules are.

I wouldn't suggest taking the dog onto cattle station country either.

Another thing..even in April it can get quite hot at the Alice, so be sure to carry plenty of water for the pooch when you do go to places where he is allowed.

Don't be tempted to take the dog where it is explicitly signposted not to. Sometimes these areas are baited for wild dogs. (At night we could hear the dingoes from our site at the Big4 caravan park last year.)

Cheers

Russ
AnswerID: 353486

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:54

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:54
Both Yulara/Uluru and Kings Canyon are in National Parks.
AnswerID: 353490

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:47

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:47
Hi Wendys

Whilst dogs are not permitted anywhere else in the Parks, they are permitted in the car parks at Uluru at Watarrka, as well as in the resort camp grounds at Yulara and Kings Canyon.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 621637

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:29

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:29
You can't take your dog to any of the MacDonnell Ranges parks, nor to Palm Valley. You can have dogs at the CPs at Kings Canyon Resort and Yulara. They can be left chained to your vehicle in the car park at Uluru and Kings Canyon while you take the walks.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 353510

Reply By: GHThommo - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:41

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 16:41
Hey John,

We were at the Alice last year with our dog. Stayed at one of the caravan parks. We checked with the tourist bureau about dogs in the McDonnell Ranges and were told that they were OK in the car park, either in the car or on a lead attached to the car (is a maximum length but I can't remember it), while you go on the walks. Obviously can't camp with them in a NP. As others have said no problems with Yulara (Uluru) or King's Canyon in the CP.

I think that it is Standley Chasm that is on private property and they have a no dog policy, but we were able to convince them that the dog would stay in the car and they let us in.

Thommo
AnswerID: 353617

Sponsored Links