Roof racks + upside down table = basket ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:05
ThreadID: 6680 Views:2430 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
On the motorcare website they sell a nifty idea of heavy duty roof racks and a table turned upside down that bolts onto to the racks to make a basket set up. Very expensive, but probably cause it is very heavy duty and good quality. If i am don't need a heavy duty set up at the moment cause of short beach trips (as opposed to desert corrugations trips) do youse all think i can get a fold up camping table to bolt onto my average quality roof racks and tie down a roof rack bag to it to achieve the result of storing soft stuff like tent and clothes bags ?

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:36

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:36
Paul, I know the commercial baskets are fiendishly expensive - $499 for a large one. I had one made for the trailer at a fraction of the cost. The guys at the trailer factory used the same mesh and folded it into shape, welded it - great job. I suspect it will do the job better than a fold-up table. I have noticed that if I put hard objects in the rack sack they chafe through the canvas.Bob
AnswerID: 28426

Reply By: The Moose - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:42

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 13:42
Paul
Is it such a great idea? - if you want to use the table you have to unload the damn thing first! Many travellers put stuff on the roof that isn't taken down each night.
In your case unless you specifically want a table why not just buy a sheet of marine ply, attach a few tie down points and then bolt it to your bars. If you did want the table you'd need some sort of clever way to attach it that's going to be quick to detach. You'll notice on the add the "clever locking pin" which can only be used with specific roof bars.
AnswerID: 28428

Reply By: boobook - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:16

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:16
Paul,

If you don't have the camping table yet, consider the new(ish) Aluminium ones that have a number of slats that sit on a frame. These roll up and fit in a bag about the size of a small tent.

These are a great, comapct and sturdy. They range from about $70 - 120 and are available al most camping shops.

Regards
AnswerID: 28822

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 16:16

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 16:16
hey Boobook theres a property near Inverleigh/Geelong with that Name. Truckster has one o them aluminium tables and they are greatSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 20085

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 20:57

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 20:57
Our local supermarket (Action - It's a WA thing I think) sells 'em every now & then for under $30.
FollowupID: 20104

Sponsored Links