TV ads portraying an irresponsible image of 4WD driving

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:20
ThreadID: 66816 Views:3849 Replies:15 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Just about every time I see an ad on TV for a 4WD, it has the car hooning through water crossings, or wheel spinning across rough ground.

If we did that in real life, we would bugger the cars, bugger the tracks and eventually injure ourselves or others.

Why do we put up with this constant barrage of misinformation ? It encourages stupid and possibly harmful practises and gives us all a bad name with people who respect the environment.

Can we as a 4WD group, somehow put pressure on car makers to stop this behaviour (without damaging our own reputations as responsible members of the community) ?

Maybe 4WD clubs should rally to picket a 4wd company's HQ with placards saying they are encouraging behaviour which destroys our Australian environment - embarrassing them is what may work best. Working on "encouraging environmental damage" and being "un- Australian" ( love it ) should help.

Any ideas ?

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:36

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:36
Apart from TV I have never understood why people likewise drive through Salt water, when you watch snippets on TV of Fraser Island you see idiots do it all the time. (My opinion and not necessarily the opinion of ExploreOz). Why would you do this to your car and what about the poor bathplug that will own it next time?
TV Shows idiot 4 x 4ing in Adds but there are a hell of a lot out there on the road. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 353919

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:47

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:47
simple ..... company car :) its well known they require No oil - any maintenance or any preventative measures :)

Boc
FollowupID: 622077

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:55

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:55
Hi Boc
You are spot on.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 622079

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 16:01

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 16:01
Yeh, "company car".
It used to cheese me off, in convoy on trips with some friends who had a company Landcruiser, everything paid for, incl fuel. They used to like to sit on 120+ km/h, I prefer 100, as it gives me good economy. Never mind the possible speeding fine, or the frequent fuel stops they had to do.
I don't go away with them these days....
FollowupID: 622134

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:42

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:42
Willie

Ban 'em.....Ban 'em... Ban 'em,
And show adds of how it should be done.

I totally agree, those sort of adds should be banned.
The misinformation portrayed, will only cause a lot of people to come to grief, and are totally irresponsible.

Recently I took some "non 4X4" friends out, across some relatively steep farmland, and they were amazed that I actually drove slowly, and kept all 4 wheels on the ground, at any time.

They admitted to me that the impression given by TV adds was we were out of control with speed and bumps..
Then I explained those adds are irresponsible.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 353920

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:04

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:04
Ah Sir Willie!

I suggest you make notes on the advertisements which get your goat. Then you write a letter stating all the facts at hand to Advertising Standards Bureau Site Link with copies to the Public Relations Departments of the Vehicle Manufacturers involved.

After 15 months(as it may take that long to get a reply), please post the results of your complaints here on the forum.

C'mon, you have a few months of kicking your heels before you take off again.

Personally I agree with you but I don't give a rat's arse what people think of 4x4's or how they are driven. In the scheme of things it is of no consequence.

Cheers
AnswerID: 353923

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:59

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:59
"I don't give a rat's arse what people think of 4x4's or how they are driven"

As one of the supposed gurus of this 4WD site, I am surprised by your attitude Willem.
FollowupID: 622108

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:58

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:58
Guru?...I haven't even been to India

What are you surprised at? I have stated time and time again...I don't care what people think.

THis perception about the 4x4 image seems to stem from the cities where people are living cheek by jowl and had nothing else to do that look over their neighbours fence!

In the real world nobody cares about a 4x4 image. Its all in yer mind and that of some others on this forum

A 4x4 is just a bloody tool. A car with an extra differential. It is there to be used.

Advertisers unfortunately only want to sell 4x4's and do not really care about anything else. Nobody will challenge their methods because they pay too much money to the ad agencies and the media. I too think some of their ads are stupid but God has not stopped making Stupid people and people who believe the stupid ads are the ones who are targeted.

And I still don't give a rat's arse so write that in yourt diary :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 622121

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:14

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:14
I am sure lots of people care Willem. I know I do, as does Willie. Funny we are all part of this real world too. Maybe you, like Len bedel,l have been too long in the bush!
Unlike Willie though, I am not surprised by your attitude Willem, you like to get the goat of people occasionally. Have Fun! Cheers Tony

FollowupID: 622141

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:33

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:33
Willem,

I don't write pompous rubbish like that in my diary.

Image is important. Perhaps you are just out of touch with reality and unaware of it. It is a bad image that gives people like the National Parks ammunition to lock us out of their land.

Willie.
FollowupID: 622146

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:39

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:39
Tony

I am not surprised by your comments but I am surprised at Sir Willie's. In real life he is such an affable chap with nary a negative thought. But I suppose it has been a slow day in the Big Smoke and he needed to vent his spleen about some cause or other. I doubt if he will take the matter further.

My comments relate to modern day hysteria about 4x4's and their role in society. And yes, I have been everywhere and done just about everything 4x4 and I am well aware of the paranoia existing in the minds of some people.

If taking a stance with an opposing view is what others see then getting the goat of some will continue. I do hope they stew in their own juices.

Cheers

Sir Willie

>Image is important. Perhaps you are just out of touch with reality and unaware of it. It is a bad image that gives people like the National Parks ammunition to lock us out of their land<

Now, I am surprised that you would write something so infantile as your paragraph above

And with that I shall say Adieu

Cheers

FollowupID: 622158

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 07:44

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 07:44
Yes William, let's leave it there. I is now up to the readers to decide which of us is "pompous" and which one is "infantile", or both !

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 622214

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:06

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:06
Willie
I've owned and used a 4wd now for 35 years, been involved in the 4wd club scene for just as long and the 4wd movement has been trying to stop these ads or nearly as long.
Most vehicle manufacturers are not interested in honest portrayal of their vehicles in action as it doesn't sell vehicles.
AnswerID: 353925

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:01

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:01
Hi Peter,
What action have you taken in the past ?
Willie.
FollowupID: 622109

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:00

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:00
There were approaches made to manufacturers to try and get them to agree to a self imposed standard, which was fine while that ad agency/person in charge of advertising was in the job but it went out the window when a new person/manager was involved, which happens frequently.
Just all gets too hard after a while and then you just get the plain stupid ones like that nissan ad towing the ferry that was on a few years back.
These days the line between 4WD and soft roader/car is blurred even further.
FollowupID: 622122

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:20

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:20
Peter,
Love your new photo of the bus on the dune.
Willie
FollowupID: 622142

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:28

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 17:28
Taken on the Madigan line two years ago.
FollowupID: 622143

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:15

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:15
Might I suggest that the 4WDs in these adds are being driven by the same men we see in a host of other adds. Men who are just plain hopeless at a huge range of things from plumbing to parenting.

When was the last time you saw an add where the average family man was anything other than incompetent. If we ran adds portraying women in that light they would be banned.

Personally I can fix a leaking pipe, I can repair a damaged just about anything, including jewellery and computers, in fact at my place when it breaks they call dad and mostly it works after that.

Duncs
AnswerID: 353926

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:45

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:45
Just like news items covering flooded areas, also have you seen the tracks lately?
AnswerID: 353932

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:02

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:02
Shaker - what do you mean ?
Willie.
FollowupID: 622110

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:07

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:07
I guess what I'm alluding to, is the fact that as a community, we are far from squeaky clean!
FollowupID: 622201

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:33

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:33
Hi Willie,

These sort of ads really frustrate Matt as 1/ as you stated above 2/ as a mechanic he used to work for a particular car manufacturer - he would see the ads on TV - and cringe as these so called 4WD's shown on the ads were not capable of doing such driving, customers would bring their cars in and winge that their car was stuffed and wonder why.

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 353938

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:07

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:07
Hi Caroline,

Somebody should take them to court for false advertising.

In fact, if I was a young solicitor just starting out wanting to make a name for myself, I would bugger a 4WD by doing the stuff in the ads (have it on film), ask for warranty, get refused and then take them to court amidst lots of publicity.

Willie
FollowupID: 622112

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:48

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:48
One of the saddest things ( in a pathetic way ) is that some people actually go and replicate what they see on the ads and are then surprised ... when the repairs are knocked back as non-warranty.

Im actually starting to like the idea of test tube babies .... as long as they add an extra 50cc of common sense in the mix ........
FollowupID: 622118

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:58

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:58
Willie,
I come from an advertising background and so pay attention to TV radio and internet advertisements with some interest.

To be honest 4x4 ads are pretty consistent with many forms of advertising where decent information in the form of stats, evidence, etc seems pretty much a forgotten thing. I refer to the current trend of ads these days as having 'idiot appeal'.

Of course for most ads 'idiot appeal' is relativley harmless but can you imagine advertising swimming, bicycle riding or other potentially quite dangerous activities IF they were portrayed the the same sensation way that the 4x4 ads are? I'm pretty sure that there would be a public outcry and the ads would be removed.

The facts are 4x4 manufacturers just want to sell cars. Nothing else matters.

In my opinion to own a 4x4 you should be required to prove via a test that you can drive it both safely and responsibly. But then that wouldn't have 'idiot appeal' would it?

AnswerID: 353940

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:55

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:55
Suggesting a special 4wd license or endorsement in this forum isn't a wise thing to do. I did it some years ago, and....
FollowupID: 622106

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:10

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:10
Hi Wayne,

Good point about advertising other pursuits with such a flagrant disregard for safety and the environment.

What a beautiful spot at Bingara in your pic. Is that a public camp spot or is it on private property ?

Willie
FollowupID: 622114

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:53

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:53
Have owned and operated forklifts for nearly 30yrs .....

Yet some out of work, phys ed school teacher, holding a 4wk TAFE course ticket is regarded as more qualified in the trade than me ....... pfffffffffffffffft.
FollowupID: 622120

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 20:11

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 20:11
While you're allowed to tow a huge caravan with just a standard car licence, I can't see them putting special requirements on driving a 4WD.
FollowupID: 622183

Follow Up By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:27

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:27
Hey Mike,

Matt and I were discussing that just the other day - people can tow huge vans on just a car licence, the park we are at had a huge tri-axle van turn up being towed by a pajero with NO hitch ect mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Yet Matt had to get a MR just to try a tow truck.

Cheers
Caroline
FollowupID: 622366

Follow Up By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:29

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:29
Sorry it should say just to drive a tow truck!!!!!!!!!! its Sunday night!!!

Cheers
Very tired Caroline
FollowupID: 622367

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:39

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:39
It's called marketing, pure and simple.

Just because it isn't a true portrayal doesn't mean it can't be advertised.

Marketing companies exist to sell their products not to make life-long friends with people who buy their products.
AnswerID: 353951

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:13

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:13
Footloose - and.........what?

Let me guess some people saying it was 'their right' to drive a 4x4?

No well how about, "it's just an excuse for the Gov't to make another dollar"?

Off topic slightly but when I moved from Sydney to the country, one of the first things I needed to buy was a tractor. I can tell you I needed no licence or experience. Just pay the money and it was mine. Boy did I have some close one's or what? And there were city escapees not as lucky as me that killed themselves using a tractor. I wish I needed a training course before being let loose. I'd have more hair now.

Willie - Bingara. Yes she's a lovely spot alright. Camping is free. It's on the western side of the bridge and into land right along the river for maybe 5 kms or more. Plenty of top camping spots and free. Only 5 minutes to town, if that.

Money we saved was spent in town on food & fuel. That's our rule. Kind of you scratch my back.........
AnswerID: 353952

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:28

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:28
I think that people understanding the need to undertake some vehicle familiarization, would be a lot more important than .....

" I wish I needed a training course before being let loose "

Understanding the need .... is the onus that falls on EVERYBODY ... vehicle or equipment type regardless.

Top spot that Bingara ..... campings quite good on the other side too ... on the way to Keera.

Depending on the tics and nettles ... the other creek on the south side of town isnt bad either ....

FollowupID: 622125

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 19:55

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 19:55
OzTroopy - Please excuse my poor English. I was somewhat being hurried by the Missus at time of typing. Is that excuse allowed?

It probably should have read 'I wish I undertook a training course before being let loose'. Pardron me for that.

Facts are, as a city bloke I thought the tractor worked more or less like a car and it does in some ways but there are many differences and loads of dangers such as roll overs, PTO, slasher, etc, etc.

I think we're in agreement on responsibility. But if not then blast away and I'll certainly offer my opinion.

Keera eh? I've just spotted it on the map but must say I've not been there.....yet. Next time for sure. Recommended camp spot?

Can't speak about the ticks but there were something called cat's heads or goats heads or something or other heads, and these things are thorny spikey buggers that flatten bicycle tyres and make dogs unhappy.

FollowupID: 622177

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:33

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:33
Tis all good Wayne David,

You're forgiven ... lolol

If someone HAS to be told to learn about something they own .... they should not have bought it in the first place ... imho.

I was trying to point out what I perceive as the difference between understanding the need to "know" your gear and waiting to be told/instructed by someone that you have to "know" your gear ................ rather than trying to get you between the shoulder blades.

Tractors ... pffft .... nasty, dangerous things at the best of times ... especially the old ones. Worst things are the PTO ... plastic covers on them are the go tho.

Plenty of campsites on the road to Keera ... pretty much wherever the road is alongside the river. Its much the same as on the west side of the bridge ... but further from town.

Keera is a working property - not a tourist spot. In its heyday it was almost a small town with a population and amenities to match.
The country starts to look a bit drier at that point but continuing towards Copeton Dam there is an excellent little lookout looking back to the west.

If you didnt get out that road ... chances are you missed the highlights on the Narrabri Rd too .... worth the run from town for the rock formations at Rocky Ck ... Not the best of camp spots ... depending on ones standards of course ....

Catheads ..... lololol ....... bloody things !!
FollowupID: 622205

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:37

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:37
Hi Willie

From time to time i see on television a way to contact the self regulatory body if you object to something seen in a television advertisement. Anyone who objects should do this. Some of the adverts i have seen are setting the wrong example to our youth, a bit like adverts that glamorise smoking or drinking in a way to appeal to young people.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 353963

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 16:42

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 16:42
If everyone offended by such ads were to complain through the mentioned channels maybe some changes would occur, maybe.
I cant seriously believe that 4wd are sold due to these stupid ads,
more likely that ad agencies convince manufacturers that they
work. A classic example was the ads for the first Adventurer & Territory models, filmed on the Plenty. A Motoring mag took both vehicles loaded as for the family holiday & neither proved suitable.
The rocks removed the wiring for the AWD on one, disabling it,
& the other arrived with gaping holes in the floorpan that a kid could fall through. The result ??.. Ads were no longer shown.
Oh, dear, I just noticed the picture of a 4by on this page, water going higher than the roof..QLD Gov ad. Glass Houses???.
....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 353974

Reply By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:02

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:02
Wow, I'm amazed that so many people actually watch the ads.
I always thought they put in the ad breaks to give you a couple of minutes to have a slash, grab another beer, and have a flick through the other channels to see if there is anything actually worth watching.

Cheers
Glenn
AnswerID: 353992

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 19:48

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 19:48
I just read all of the posts above.

I guess it's slightly irritating to see 4x4s used in a fun and foolish way....

but just look at the other crazy ads [not adds BTW] for ordinary vehicles. Barely any of them show the real qualities of the car. Usually try to convince that you will impress, or fly or be rich by driving a boring little sedan.

After thinking for a bit.... I too don't care. But then I don't watch ads!
AnswerID: 354013

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:24

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:24
I don't visit the smoke all that often, but when we go to Sydney, we usually call in and see an old army mate & his Mrs. They live in a very nice suburb on the North Shore. My friend has over the years acquired considerable wealth (not like me), and has a new vehicle just about every year, as does his wife.

The latest : him = BMW 4 x 4. her = Pajero (it's safer).

When asked if they have been off road. No. Driving around town.

Similarly, if you have a look in the street they live in you will generally see a similar collection of vehicles, the only difference is the European make (Volvo, Merc, Audi).

It would appear to me that this is the target group that the advertising is directed at. Vehicles being used in improbable situations, like that Nissan ad, where it tows a vehicular punt across a fairly deep creek with a Toyota on board Should they have the gall to show that one again, or a similar ad, on T.V. just check out what is missing. The Nissan doing the towing didn't appear to have any of the stuff that we consider as 'standard', nor does the ad portray the problems that such shenanigan's can create to a vehicle. The travelling through sea water is another instance.

Where I live (Broken Hill), I would say that just about every second vehicle is a FWD of some type. People in rural Oz. really don't need W.O.F.T.A.M. ads to tell them about the vehicles we need, because they are used in that configuration in normal day to day use. But Sydney?

Remember that move by some pedestrian safety mob in NSW, who wanted bull bars banned. Their rationale being that you will sustain serious injury if struck by a vehicle with one fitted. I suppose you don't get as hurt by a vehicle with a standard. Not bloody much, you just get killed a bit less.

You won't get any argument from me about advertisements portraying an incorrect image. But people see them and believe the crap they show.

Anyway, I don't think Mr & Mrs. Average Aussie knows a great deal about FWD'ing, they see the commercials and are sucked in, or drive on the main roads, when a conventional vehicle would suffice. Like my friends.

Pajero's as an urban vehicle, I just wonder!

Dick

AnswerID: 354071

Sponsored Links