Muloorina

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:22
ThreadID: 66818 Views:4636 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All - Planning a trip to Marree - Muloorina - Lake Eyre Sth in May.

I have seen numerous posts mentioning Muloorina and it appears a good camping spot. Looking at Google Earth a track encircles the lagoon.

Not wanting to drive "past the front door" of the station owner, can some one tell me what side of the lagoon is the camp site if you are coming from Marree.

to give me a "heads up" if anyone has had experiences there and perhaps some photos that would be greatly appreciated
Regards

a_j_ay
yo_barry@aapt.net.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:43

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 09:43
a_j_ay

When you travel up from Marree you will come into the campsite before you get to the homestead.

From memory there is a donations box on a fence post on your left just as you get to the camping area. This is a alrge area with plenty of shade and it is quite obvious when you get to it.

If you cross the creek you will soon realise that you are approaching the homestead. I have a vague recollection of a signpost advising that you are entering a private area.

Duncs
AnswerID: 353931

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:10

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:10
Agree with Duncs

We were there last June.

As you approach the homestead area the road splits. Straight ahead for the lake and camp and to the right to the homestead.
Just up the road it splits again. left to lake Eyre and right to campground on side of lagoon.

Lots of area and picnic tables plus toilets and I think a shower. There was a honesty box near the entrance.

Got there last June but track from camp to lake Eyre was closed due to flooding. With the rain around I'd check if you can get to the lake before leaving Marree.

Alan
AnswerID: 353942

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:34

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:34
The photos below are from 2000. I expect the price for camping will have risen, but believe its still a donation to RFDS.
You will be able to access Lake eyre North at Level post bay. You won't be able to cross the causeway between the North and South Lakes. You'll see Lake Eyre South from the Oodnadatta Track.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 353947

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:46

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:46
Back in 1977, when I was young, invincible and stupid, we drove some outback tracks. Heres our Lake Eyre South photos when people used to drive onto salt lakes (don't do this!)
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 622103

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:07

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 13:07
Hmmm..... a personalised numberplate in those days. How did you manage that?

Yes, you need to take your smart pills when playing around on salt lakes. We learn don't we?...lol

FollowupID: 622123

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:00

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 18:00
Gday Willem,
I'm not a fan of personalised plates but they were an 18th birthday present so I had to put them on. They were surrendered when we moved to SA a few years later.

The Corolla was just starting to get that "sinking" feeling. Only piece of recovery gear we had was a shovel, and it was hot out there in December! But it was a pretty light vehicle, and there were 3 of us.
FollowupID: 622151

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:05

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:05
Spoke to Muloorina owners/lessees? a week ago. It's $5 per car plus the donation to RFDS. Road is 2WD from Maree to camp - not in a Barina but certainly a Magna and bigger. After camp there is one dune on the track to Lake Eyre which will stop 2WD but no problem for 4WD. Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 353948

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:09

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:09
If you are looking for desolation/ isolation camp in the official site at the end of the road. Halliigan Bay. A dune from the lake, great spot at the tail end of a dust storm?
Mulroonia Bore has toilets as well.
Check your 'DESERTS PASS HANDBOOK"
I presume you have one?
I dropped the change in my pocket at the box, goes to RFDS.
The station uses the water cooling down from the bore for stock water etc, respect that right don't stuff it up by doing stupid things, ie washing in the river with detergent's , soap, hair shampoo,etc.
At least do those things that townys need to do every day, in a bucket and then water a tree.
AnswerID: 353957

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 21:10

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 21:10
Whoops
My mistake
Read Level Post Bay instead of Halliigan
Showed as much common sense there as on Ausssie Ref in super 12 Rugby?, at least I know when I have made a mistake.
FollowupID: 622193

Reply By: a_j_ay - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:29

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:29
Thankyou for the many informative replies - all noted and appreciated.

Cheers
AnswerID: 353962

Sponsored Links