Lake Gairdner - Speedweek 2009

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:04
ThreadID: 66821 Views:2707 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I posted a while back on the planning for Speedweek 2009, and so I don't get moderated again I shall point out that Lake Gairdner is in the outback, and we traveled the outback to get there. While there we traveled on the big white dyno of the lake itself. There was some interest last time in results so here goes. Our first 2 licencing passes went very well, on the third run of around 175 mph and a chute pull, the 1968 HK Monaro started very well, there seemed to be better traction this time, it was soundingsweet as and approaching the timing lights at 6800 rpm which with no wheel slip translates at 175 mph, when the bonnet section of the one piece fibreglass front clip tore off, smashing the windscreen and giving our driver some excitement. Overall very happy with the car, next year we will go back to steel guards to add some weight up front and add ballast to the centre of the car. As for the area, it is a beautiful place to visit. There was 2 inches of rain in the area Thurs but not on the lake itself and a semi still bogged on the Iron Knob road Friday when we left.Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:38

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 14:38
Hi Garbutt,

A little known event but one that I have had a casual interest in for some time.

It seems that like most vehicles your Monaro is a work in progress, good luck with the mods, hope they work for you.

Do you know how the boys from the Silverton Pub got on with their bike this year?

Duncs
AnswerID: 353964

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:24

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 23:24
The V8 bike ran around 125 mph. They had a youngster on a 125 Suzi trail bike with a few mods that ran around 68 mph and wasted everyone's time. You can do that on the highway. The V8 bike seems to be an exercise in futility also a stock Suzuki's can do way more.
I think member Geochacher was there, I saw a vehicle like his with ExplorOz tyre cover on the salt.
FollowupID: 622203

Follow Up By: Pawl - Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 20:08

Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 20:08
I also had the pleasure of being at Lake Gairdner again this years event, what a fantactic area it is, my first view of the lake was in 1996 , just before the sun rose , and that magical sight is indeliebly etched in memory.
I cannot , how ever, understand the mentality behind this (quote)
"They had a youngster on a 125 Suzi trail bike with a few mods that ran around 68 mph and wasted everyone's time. You can do that on the highway."
I would have thought a person of standing in the community Garbutt would applaud a 15 y/o unlicenced rider having the responsibility to ride a motorcycle at speed at such a well supervised event, rather than do so illegally on a public road ?
I say "good on ya lad" and "see ya next year" , and encourage any young person to follow his example.
I didn't mind waiting 4 minutes for my turn, how long did your run take ?
Tiny DLRA # 484
FollowupID: 623956

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:08

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:08
Tiny, I certainly didn't mean to suggest anyone should ride on a public road unreg or unlicenced. I was just a bit frustrated at waiting all day Thursday without getting a run, and with many reasonably slow vehicles such as that one running. Its Speedweek, not Slowweek. There was a lot of talk among racers and officials about running 2 tracks or even 2 weeks, separating the bikes and cars. We will see what develops.
FollowupID: 624049

Reply By: Member No 1- Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:28

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:28
was this held just recently?
saw something ...an open wheeler with a aerodynamically shaped body...sorta looked like a small Bluebird, on the back of a trailer yesterday heading back into Adelaide (around Two Wells)...we couldnt figure out why or what he may have been doing, but it was very dirty
AnswerID: 354249

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:02

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:02
Yes No. 1 finished last Friday. There was rain on the road so anything that wasn't already dirty got dirty coming out.
FollowupID: 622709

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 07:25

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 07:25
ta
explains what we were looking at
FollowupID: 622775

Reply By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:23

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:23
thanks for the update and congrats... your munro must be more stable than mine to do 175! :)
AnswerID: 354671

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:38

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:38
Yep we reckon with this years learning experience and added weight for traction along with a few more HP, 185 mph is very possible next year, and a look at the record after that.

FollowupID: 623047

Reply By: Frase - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:54

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:54
Hi Plunka, l'm not one for this forum thing nor getting tangled up with insurquer people who use there keyboard for what they would not normal say to people face to face but l sure would like you to step out from behind yours to discuss the matter of my son wasting everyone's time, not to mention one of your runs that required the track to be closed & the fact that you thinks its ok for a 15yrs lad to do 68 mph on an registered, uninsured motor bike on the highway, l'm sure the SA police superintendent would enjoy reading your forum, another question, why don't you use the DLRA forum to express your concerns ? as for your claim that you did a 175 mph with chute, DLRA records state that you only did 146.38 mph ??? Its obvious that you do not have the true spirit of salt lake racing at heart nor the sportsmanship & respect of fellow competitors regardless of what they drive or ride of which is held in high regard with 99% of members, please feel free to contact me at The Silverton Hotel any time.

Chris Fraser
AnswerID: 357639

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:09

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:09
I apologise Chris, I was a little frustrated I guess at the lack of runs, and never intended to suggest anyone should do a run on the road. I certainly didn't intend to insult/stir up/be a bad sport. And to make it clear I am not Plucka, please don't have a go at him, I am merely one of his crew, usually known as Frank. And to help run things at the Lake, I have already offered to be a volunteer next year. I hope this clears up any bad feelings.

FollowupID: 625754

Sponsored Links