Where to camp

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 14:39
ThreadID: 66853 Views:3750 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks ago I posted that a mate & I were taking our 14 year old sons away for a few days to maintain the father-son thing. Some of you gave good suggestions but at that stage we were going to stay in a caravan park. But now the boys want to bush camp somewhere. We've decided that it's the week after Easter, for 3 days. But we're still not sure where to go. So if anyone has some suggestions let me know.

Here's the requirements.

- Got to be in SA
- Bush camping
- fishing (jetty or beach, no boat)
- crabbing (optional but I like crabbing)
- 4wding (a nice inclusion to break up the fishing)

Thanks

Louie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:37

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:37
Louie

Dunno if your blokes will count National park camp grounds in as bush camping, but Innes National Park is a treasure i learned about 35 years after leaving SA. The Pondalowie Well Camp Ground is right on the beach, but sheltered by some headlands. Plenty of fishing and I think some good track driving, but not sure about 4 WD - though someone a bit more local can confirm that.

Here's the web site

Innes National Park, SA
AnswerID: 354115

Follow Up By: Max - Sydney - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:38

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:38
ps there are bush camps in the Park too but have never seen them. Max
FollowupID: 622281

Follow Up By: wicket - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:26

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 16:26
Gym Beach is a great spot, beach, bushwalks etc
FollowupID: 622292

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:48

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:48
Hi Louie
The place that I can recommend will for fill all but the crabbing. Either Calperum Station or Chowilla Game Reserve, in the Renmark area of the Riverland. Great camping and away from the crowds, Fishing, good tracks in the area. With that red sand, you will think that you could be hundreds of kilometres from anywhere, yet only a very short way out of Renmark.

Cheers and enjoy your camping where ever it may be.

Stephen
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 354116

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:57

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 15:57
been a few years but Gleesons landing used to be OK youve got sheltered bays and surf beach nearby. innes national park to the south and the massive dustbowl beach to the north.

there used to be 4wd access in from the dustbowl (nthn) end but i think thats been stopped

the formby bay end (south) is on a headland where a decent walk nth gets you to probabally the best surf fishing beach on the YP waklking north or South takes you to a shorebreak beach which while interesting i never caught anything
AnswerID: 354118

Reply By: Pat (vic) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 23:34

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 23:34
Hi Louie

Not sure where you are in S.A but up around Robe area would be nice I was just there but stayed in a cp.
Had a look at the bush camps while I was there and they look good, also the fishing was great my son had a ball catching mullet small salmon and bream also Tommy ruffs.
the weather was very windy and cold while we were but sunny and had fun on the track to.

Cheers Pat
AnswerID: 354223

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:58

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:58
Louie,

The Coorong is supposed to be pretty good although I haven't camped there.
Can recomend Lincoln and Coffin Bay National Parks though.
AnswerID: 354237

Sponsored Links