O/T- Link EeePC to desktop

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 20:21
ThreadID: 66867 Views:1680 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Evening All,

i would like to link if possible my EeePC to my desktop to do windows and AVG antivirus updates thru my home PC, as it will more than likely be quite a sizable update. ultimately i will get mobile broadband but at the moment i dont require it and i will probably go the prepaid route, can they be linked via USB ports?? i am a home hack with PCs so i ask for some ideas from the more learned.Thanx in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:09

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:09
You can network them via the RG45 ports or wirelessly quite easily
In the first instance you go to control panel and set up a home network Use the wizard and follow the prompts.
You of course need a network port in your desktop computer but most reasonably modern machine have them built in.
Of course you need a cable as well.
They also have wireless so this can be used. Whatever you do enable some network security as if you dont on wireless your neighbour could use your internet connection for free.
Wireless is good as you can use the lappy in the lounge while desktop is in another room

AnswerID: 354188

Follow Up By: Member - Paul W- Esq (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:22

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:22
Thanks for that Graham, the EeePC has this port but the Desktop doesn't. it has the usual comports-DB9 and USBs. i tried to load the ISP disc to connect it to my home modem but it would not load properly.so i need to find an alternative option.
FollowupID: 622364

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:37

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 21:37
How old is your desktop. Buy a network card and chuck it in and away you go They only cost about $20

AnswerID: 354203

Sponsored Links