Snowy Mountains Road Conditions Feedback

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 23:20
ThreadID: 66876 Views:3147 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Suitability of road from Delegate NSW to Buchan VIC via Wulgulmerang for 100 series diesel towing 18' Bushtracker? Any problems
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:04

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:04
The road is very narrow, down to one lane in spots with huge drops off the side, plenty of blind corners too. No fences etc and if you meet something coming the other way that is bigger or also towing you will need to be able to reverse sometimes quite a distance. Steep in spots as well. We've towed a small camper through there and the locals tow horse floats and rigid cattle trucks but no articualted vehicles that we've seen.
We met a cement mixer coming the other way on one trip and two of the wives got out and walked as they wouldn't stay in the vehicle while we were so close to the edge and reversing.
It is fine from Delegate down to the Snowy/McKillops Bridge but the bad bits are between McKillops and the Barry Way.
AnswerID: 354238

Reply By: jumbomumbo - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:38

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:38
Many thanks. Not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear.Plan B I think.
Cheers,
Jim

AnswerID: 354251

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:45

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:45
As Ozhumvee said. You must have a head for heights and abysses...lol

I think your rig might be a tad too long and bulky.

In saying that I towed a bush-trailer between those places. Luckily we only met two vehicles coming down the grades but passing was still an inch by inch affair. We were only flat-hand distances apart from the cliff face and the other vehicle. We did not hyperventilate but it was close :-) And w were on the mountain side!

Should you slip a wheel over the edge it wil be Bye Bye.

Cheers
AnswerID: 354254

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:47

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:47
I agree with Peter. The climb from McKillops Bridge to Little River Gorge is extremely narrow, windy and has one of the best vertical drops beside it that I have seen. I can't say how long the climb is, but at a guess it would be at least 3 kilometres. A camper trailer yes - an 18' caravan NO!!! From the Parks Victoria website:-
"The descent beyond Little River Gorge into McKillop Bridge is one of Victoria's most precarious roads, unsuitable for caravans and semi-trailers"

teege
AnswerID: 354256

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:29

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:29
From the Parks Victoria website:-
"The descent beyond Little River Gorge into McKillop Bridge is one of Victoria's most precarious roads, unsuitable for caravans and semi-trailers"

drove my HSV Clubsport down there a few years ago, didn't think it was that bad... must not have looked sideways!
FollowupID: 622434

Sponsored Links