Disco Bogged

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:29
ThreadID: 66878 Views:4206 Replies:13 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Had to put up this post. Done a trip to Little Dip at Robe over the weekend, Was having a relaxing friday evening when some I presumed inexperienced Fourby owners came over and said a woman in the large Caravan next to there camper was worried. Her husband had gone off at about 5pm to do some fishing and hadn't returned and it was now 10.15pm he was inexperienced and had been bogged the day before. We went out in my vehicle to see if we could spot him. We drove 25k's Nth and then 25k's Sth looking for him, whilst doing this SWMBO was with his wife and keeping in contact with us. We learnt he had about 70% of his stomach removed 6mths ago with cancer and had bought the Disco 6mths ago.

By this time I was becoming very concerned. I went back down the Sth Coastal track and did each beach track one at a time. after nearly getting stuck ourselves on one of these, we came across his Disco buried to its diffs on a slight sand hill. Vehicle was locked but lots of bushes had been placed under the wheels and digging had occurred but no driver. Tyres were checked and set at about 45psi, No1 mistake. he had left the vehicle, No 2. mistake. he had no UHF, No 3 mistake. We drove back towards camp and eventually found him collapsed on the edge of a track, and was in shock and hallucinating. Seems he had left the track No 4 mistake. and had been wondering around falling about in thick coastal scrub for the last 2 hours. We took him back to his caravan and his wife who sat him down and put water over him until he felt better, while we went back and pulled out the Disco and drove it back to camp. No 5 Mistake was he had not told his wife or anyone where he was going.

This was a good outcome to what was so close to being a disaster.

Next day we went to where his vehicle had been stuck and drove straight up and over in high range with the right tyre pressures, what amazed us is the fact that before going into the sand hills, National Parks have put up signs saying to lower tyres to 18 or 15psi.

Hoping some read this who with little experience are thinking of driving off alone on easy tracks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Krakka - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:21

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 06:21
Some good points there Blaze, could have easily been a tragedy that could have easily been avoided!
Krakka
AnswerID: 354239

Reply By: obee1212 - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:32

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:32
Thanks. We need reminding. Sometimes even us more experienced people.

My mate got stuck on the beach on tracks left by others. It cost him hundred bucks for the recovery man to come and let his tyres down.

Owen
AnswerID: 354240

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:44

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:44
Good outcome Blaze.... and a pat on the back for you and SWMBO for putting yourselves out for your fellow man! Good on ya!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 354242

Follow Up By: bockstar1 - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:07

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:07
I'd concur with this. Thanks for helping out the bloke.
FollowupID: 622459

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:59

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:59
Hi Blaze
Well what can we say, Bloody Disco drivers, they drive the Queens can and think they can go and do anything.

Seriously, I think he was very lucky when you found him when you did, or it could have turned out very different. When are people going to learn?

See you in a couple weeks

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 354244

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:58

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:58
there had to be one didn't there?

Well done. You were it.
FollowupID: 622471

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:38

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:38
In answer to your question Stephen about when are people going to learn, I think its only going to get worse with more buying fourbys and especially soft roader all wheel drives.
See you in a few weeks.
FollowupID: 622619

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:03

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:03
Good on ya Blaze.

Just goes to show that one does not have to be young to be stupid. Hopefully the fella has learned something. These old blokes read the advertisements and think their 4bies can go anywhere with their Traction Control etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 354245

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:48

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:48
Mistake No. 6 Have not got a mate to go fishing with. Don't go. Little things can become major issues when on your Pat Malone.
AnswerID: 354257

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:51

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:51
I can see your piont Rocky, but life is short anyway, and if I sat home everytime I had no one to go fishing with I would miss out on a hell off a lot of fishing. I already regret I did not do more back packing fishing trips into Tassie, because now my knees are buggered and I will never get to do them.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 622441

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:48

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:48
Yep! There have been times I wish I had followed my own advise. Guess that's part of the reason life has not been boring thus far.Life's a balance! I am just a little bit better at getting out of serious situations than getting into them..So far !
FollowupID: 622467

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:06

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:06
The Td5 I owned was an absolute bitch in sand, even with the tyres deflated.

I tend to think this was due to the amount of play in the suspension, it would very quickly dig in and drop you onto the diffs toot sweet.

Perhaps it's time for the powers to be to start demanding that a FWD operator undergo a course in off road vehicle operation, before you are permitted to enter their territory, eg. National Parks, Forests, Coastal Reserves.

Personally I have no problems with attending a FWD driving course, I consider myself competent in their operation, but it doesn't hurt to enhance ones skills and we're never to old to learn.

The organisation that provides electricity in Western N.S.W. will not allow their staff to operate their FWD service vehicles until they have completed a course of instruction that takes in both theory and practice. The defence forces have a similar practice, and I think, Telstra.

A fellow who I travel with sometimes, and who owns an off-road set up (good one too) was a bit miffed at having to comply with his employees demands and do a course with a certified trainer, but when he did came back, said that it was worth every dollar spent. I'm not familiar with what happens in the other states, but it's quite possible a similar requirement exists.

So if industry demands that their staff must be capable of operating their equipment, in this case FWD vehicles, why aren't casual driver's such as enthusiasts? All you have to prove in N.S.W. when you go for a driver's licence is that you can pass a knowledge test & operate the vehicle you are being tested in, it could be a Ford Festiva or a Hyundi. There's a great deal of difference, and it's not my wish to point out the obvious.

I know that this is a sore point as we are over regulated as it is, but incidents such as this are not isolated. But as Blaze of Berri points out there are a number of instances known to him where simple basic procedures were not followed. So there must be lots and lots more we don't hear about.Well done too, by the way!

Every traveller has horror stories of getting people going again. One I remember was after a rainstorm in the Scotia Country south of here, myself and another fellow, very late at night came upon a Nissan Patrol with a woman and a heap of cold kids, bogged. We checked the vehicle and found that the front wheels hadn't been activated, drove it out easy peasy. We caught up to the driver, very wet and dishevelled kms. down the road. New vehicle, no idea how to operate it.

Anyway folks, this is just an idea. Learning the hard way is counter productive.

Dick

AnswerID: 354262

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:14

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:14
Dick

Hmmm...... next you will need a science degree to climb a ladder to change a lightbulb in your house. :-)

Yeah, train the 4wd-er, the caravan tower, the camper trailer tower, the tractor driver. It will employ more people...which is good. Then as the vehicle's specs change one can do a refresher course from time to time.

All this training stuff stems from over zealous OHS rules where commonsensse has flown out the window

God hasn't stopped making stupid people and there is no guarantee that people will not do stupid things even after training.

Cheers

FollowupID: 622461

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:27

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:27
Dick , I agree!, landrovers are a pain in sand with standard rim and tyre, especially on a incline they just wan't to dig down no matter what. on flat areas not to bad i found it better to go slow in a low gear with c/difflock in. In mud ,.now thats a different story.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 622492

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:46

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:46
Will,

No BSc Degree here, just a mere BA. However, all of my ladders are degree certified.

What I am alluding to here is the fact that as off road driving becomes more popular we will see or hear about more and more people getting themselves into strife.

It costs government a lot of money now to deploy police and other agencies to look for, recover, and medically repair people, each year, who stuff up. As governments are dollar driven the costs will increase, ultimately, access to the places we take for granted, will be restricted and eventually denied.

God will never stop making stupid people, however my friend, a stupid person can be taught not to be stupid. Training improves ones knowledge, skills and attitudes, and if done correctly we would see people such as the driver mentioned in this thread, become rare.

I know the O.H. & S. Nazi's are out there and it's becoming ridiculous, but it has it's points. For example I can go and buy a FWD with a winch,go bush and engage the winch, use it incorrectly, injure or kill myself or some other person, then the dollars start to add up. And that's what drives the country dollars!. Whereas, if I was compelled to attend a course of instruction on how to use a winch, and be certified to drive it the same as industry is, it may not have happened.

It's unfortunate, but a minority stuff things up for the majority.

FollowupID: 622503

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:52

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:52
Dick

Not sure who 'Wil'l is

I can see you are a man of letters as your posts and replies are of great length and impart valuable information to everyone who cares to read.

I am surprised however, that a person of your learning, should also use the old cliché that the minority stuff things up for the majority. In my view that is a cop-out where people are stating that whatever the cause it is always someone elses fault.

In this day and age of overprotectionism and "Its not my fault please don't sue me" syndrome the populace who ascribe to these notions deserve a hard kick up the bum to bring them back to their senses.

Cheers
FollowupID: 622534

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:15

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:15
Richard H (NSW)
Allow me to tip me hat to you Sir for your efforts in helping that family. That could have a really bad ending, and to think that the soltion was as simple as engaging hubs. See ignorance. If you don't know then you don't know.

Something like a training course, a mate running through the fundamentals or what ever could so easily have made the difference.

I know there's those that knock training courses but as one who's mere presence on the planet proves that "God hasn't stopped making stupid people" I can will state that not knowing is one thing but failure to learn.......now that's really stupid.

The trouble is that many of these people are new to off road driving and genuinely don't know any better. Perhaps they feel the 4x4 will do it all for them. Usually the vehicle will but there are times as per your story and that of Blaze where it can all go pear shaped quickly.

It's all about knowledge and experience. Some of us need to training courses to obtain it.
FollowupID: 622543

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:00

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:00
Blaze - What a story and what a great outcome. Thanks for sharing it.

The Missus and I have just recently completed an Beginner's level 4x4 course and the information / experience gained was fantastic. Plus may I add that we met some wonderful people at the training course.

So when I spotted your story I asked the Missus to come in to the office while I read your story to her.

Good girl knew that the tyre pressure was wrong straight off the bat and what they should have been. But all these other points are essential. I'm a huge believer in the 'buddy' system.

Got to feel for the old fella and his wife though. Shame someone, such as a mate, a family member or maybe the bloke that sold him the Disco didn't point him in the direction of a basic training course.

I live in the country & need my 4x4 just to get home. But I am by no means an expert, which is why I did the training course.

IMHO the best thing about knowledge is that it opens your eyes to your own ignorance. So for us there will be the more advanced level 4x4 course next time.
AnswerID: 354272

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:41

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:41
Good onya Blaze.......

I hope the bloke and his missus were suitably thankful.....

On occasions, you hear of some people who have had their bacon saved, only to be somewhat belligerent when they are given some "tips" to avoid something similar occuring again in the future...

Cheers mate....cya next weekend.....

Roachie
AnswerID: 354275

Reply By: Rolly - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:00

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:00
Great story with a happy ending thanks to some genuinely decent folks.
Well done. I can only imagine the panic that both the man and his wife must have felt.
I'm in the process of getting "wised up" myself and will be signing up for a 4by course myself after Easter.
I'd appreciate any advice on course providers in and around Perth.
I'm not especially interested in bush-bashing, rather I need practical advice on the best practices for everyday off-road touring.

Cheers
AnswerID: 354278

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:03

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:03
Pleae tell us what your perception of bush bashing and offroad touring is.
FollowupID: 622458

Follow Up By: Rolly - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:28

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:28
To keep it simple, Willem I think of bush bashing as deliberately driving into very difficult territory as a kind of sport in itself and off road touring as getting out there to enjoy the country whilst at the same time not unnecessarily making the going tough.
FollowupID: 622481

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:00

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 16:00
I think I see where Rolly is coming from. Some people (usually young blokes) go out with the intention of testing their vehicles and their driving "skill". They could be driving along a perfectly nice section of dirt track and see a deep, water-filled bog hole just beside it. Now, I reckon Rolly and I are from the same school..... we would elect to drive around such a bog hole.

However, the young blokes I'm thinking of would take great delight in purposefully driving into the bog hole with the rev-limited screaming it's mammory glands off. He who makes the biggest splash or breaks the most number of drive-train components etc gets the loudest applause from his dip-stick mates.

Willem, on the other hand, does the kind of driving that I think Rolly is referring to; albeit at the extreme end of the spectrum. Not too many "tourers" would venture into the vast unknown in the way Willem does. He certainly has oodles more ticker than I do.... hahahaha
FollowupID: 622509

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:04

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:04
Now Now Bill....no club secrets please.......LOL
FollowupID: 622540

Reply By: Member - Carl S (VIC) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:10

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:10
I have been going to Robe for nearly 20 years now, alone and with my 4wd club(TLCV) some times as trip leader and sometimes anywhere in between TEC, This is one of the most spectacular sand driving experiences anyone can have and also one of the most dangerous, I have seen so many people bogged(including myself) and in positions where recovery is almost impossible.
And you really need to know what you are doing down there, so many times I have seen people refuse to let their tyres down and do not carry even the basic recovery equipment, the day may come when these magnificent places are closed to the public because of some inexperienced people that may have lost their lives, So as everyone has said join a club or attend a basic 4wd course, it could save your life.
AnswerID: 354281

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:31

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 13:31
Hi Carl,

Yep certainly is a great place for driving, this guy never actually even ever made it to the beach or any of the good area's and i have to add thankfully, as he would have been further lost in the scrub.

We spoke to the Ranger on the following day when he was doing his rounds, and he informed us that the beach Sth of the shacks at Little dip was impassible, we had actually done this already the day before, but they had over 30 vehicles stuck on that beach the Adelaide Cup weekend from numerous clubs.
FollowupID: 622464

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:06

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:06
What you may not have considered that this guy is a dead man walking anyway. The prognosis for advanced stomach cancer is very poor. He has likely only months to live.

Good on him for getting out and doing what he wants to do with the little time he has left.

If he had died out there so what? Would it be better to croak in some hospice, full of morphine, wondering if the fish were biting in Robe?
AnswerID: 354305

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:30

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 14:30
All is removed by what we were told.

And if your even right, I think thats a bit of an A-Hole attitude to have to your wife worrying and people out looking for you just so you can say YIPPEE I went out of this world doing what I want, stuff everyone else.

Not sure you have taken into account, if he had died out there off the track, would you like your children or grand children to be the ones to stumble over the body in a few weeks???
FollowupID: 622483

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:03

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:03
23.1% five year survival on average.

Call me an A-hole, but I'm with the old guy. Wives like to worry.

We are all going to die sometime. Its going to happen sooner if we have cancer, or if we are old. Perhaps all people over age 80 should be confined to nursing homes, just in case - shock horror - some one finds their body. Certainly, people with cancer shouldn't be allowed out (especially in 4WD vehicles). They should all consider other peoples' sensibilities and keep out of sight until they croak - preferably close to a funeral parlour to minimise the inconvenience and unpleasantness that their remains will cause.

YIPPEE
FollowupID: 622520

Follow Up By: Member - Carl S (VIC) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:25

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:25
Stomach cancer is a terrible thing, but no excuse for stupidity
enough said from me!
FollowupID: 622527

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:02

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:02
Geez Bob, what happened?

After stirring up trouble here on this forum some years ago you disappeared into thin air for a while. We thought that you had left this mortal coil.

Now suddenly you are back again imparting your wise words and preaching sanity to all who care to read....hahahahaha

The internet never fails to surprise................................Lazarus, like the Phoenix, arises........................

ROTFLMAO

Cheers
FollowupID: 622538

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:27

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:27
Bob, I'm nearly at a total loss to debate this point with someone who believes we should have just left him out there to die, maybe I should give you his Ph number and you can pass on your thoughts to him personally.

I can just see you screaming about the silly old bugga if it cost $30,000 of ours and your tax payer dollars to send out a Police search for this very thankfull gentleman, and maybe only to find a body. Then the hassles his wife would have getting him, their van and car back to family in NSW. I also wonder if you in my place would like to have told his wife and family had he perished, you were giving him his choice to perish sooner than later, rather than look for him.
Maybe you have missed the point, I never said he wasn't pleased to see us, he was more than happy to be fouind, he wouldn't have been happy to miss out on his 23.1% five year survival on average. He is travelling Australia with his wife and trying to enjoy his life. No where in my write up do I suggest he shouldn't do this, I believe he should take more care and training, same as I would believe he may be adviced in doing a course before jumping out of an aircraft to try parachuting.

FollowupID: 622616

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:32

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:32
Gidday Willie.

As they say it takes all types, just wish some would turn on the light now and again...... wouldn't you just love to be his wife..

""Wives like to worry"" Wonder who told him this, most women I know wouldn't worry if it was Bob out there lost.

I look at this way mate, 99.9% replied with positive remarks but one didn't, wonder if he read my tag at the bottom of my posts LMAO
FollowupID: 622617

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:34

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:34
Willem

If I remember rightly it wasn't me who stirred up trouble - it was Goran and his clones. I took exception to his rantings and identified the cohort of like contributors as being his doppelgangers.

My point on this thread is that we tend to sound very sanctimonious when someone doesn't behave according to our rules. In this circumstance, I'd cut the old guy some slack. He is entitled to a bit of risk taking behaviour before he goes.

Adventure before demise.

Bob
FollowupID: 622631

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:59

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:59
Adventure before demise.......it almost came true too early....lol

I shall instruct everyone to listen to you words of wisdom in the future

In the mean time, Welcome Back to Rantings Incorporated :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 622637

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:57

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 17:57
Well done Blaze, going out after 10pm in the dark is not an easy thing in that area, if she asked someone else with less experience it could have been a disaster

AnswerID: 354361

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:35

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:35
Thanks Skippy,

Yes very interesting place to drive, times 100 at night.. The inexperienced couple offered to help but I suggested they stay at camp, I could see a nasty situation becoming worse.
FollowupID: 622618

Sponsored Links