bad fuel after the rains....

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:23
ThreadID: 66890 Views:2380 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone else been opicking up bad fuel after the rain.... my generator has blocked up twice with the quick fix being to blow air down the fuel lines...

i have adopted a new rule, i buy my genny fuel in the afternnoon now
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:33

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:33
Hiya RB

As a general rule,i was told by my mechanic years ago if you see a tanker in the driveway of a servo keep driving...The refilling of the tanks stirs up all the crap..Of course you dont know if the tanker has filled them 10 minutes beforehand when you fill unless you ask the operator...

Cheers
AnswerID: 354332

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:39

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:39
Hi there Warfer, my old man use to tell me the same thing. He use to own and run a servo at Wentworthville NSW and he would always tell my mum if she called into get fuel "" do it tomorrow love just got a delivery"" dont know if any thing has changed these days with possible better filtration etc ?? .........WHG
FollowupID: 622500

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:51

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 15:51
Hiya Wherehegon

I reckon your old man was a smart one,one of my last trips i had water in the diesel (hilux)..about 4 weeks earlier i got caught out at a river crossing..So i can only put it down to the river or a servo in Sale..

But previous to that no issues over the years..

But my sister had an incident a few months back where she filled up at a servo drove down the road and bingo the car stopped and would not start...It was towed to her mechanics (family friend),the mechanic gave here a lend car which needed fuel also,so what did she do,went back to the same servo and used the same pump,hopped in the car got down the road and bingo,car was towed again..How many times do they get away with it,you dont normally fill two cars at once..

The servo owner is paying the bills..

Cheers
FollowupID: 622505

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:58

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:58
Warfer, I had the same problem a few years ago, tanker leaving as i arrived.. I assumed it would be petrol that was dropped so i filled up.. Diesel.... you know the rest.. Luckily i had BP card and Bp were great, i guess they checked the drop time and my fill time, both tanks were pulled from the patrol and the lines flushed.. BP paid the $700 bill, followed up to see if i was happy.. A very good experience but it really is only a problem whe the tanks are very low, good operators dont let the tanks go too low and this apparently avoids the strirring up problem in the tanks... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 622583

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:12

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:12
I always collect a sample of fuel in a glass jar before filling the tank.

One time I noticed bubbles in the Diesel that weren't rising like air-bubbles - they were falling - yep water in it. It was after a period of rain.

That was the last time I used the BP on the Cumberland Hwy.
AnswerID: 354453

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:32

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:32
***I always collect a sample of fuel in a glass jar before filling the tank.***

Hiya Mike

Its a pain in the ass to do that but so is water in the Diesel ..Good Idea...

Cheers
FollowupID: 622623

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:30

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:30
I only started doing this after reading about the very expensive problems people have had resulting from contaminated fuel.

It's not just water contamination you have to worry about.

My car's still under warranty and having had a problem previously which needed the Injection Pump to be replaced, I want to be protected against "it's not covered under warranty because it was caused by contaminated fuel". My reply will be "here are samples from the last five tankfulls - prove that one of these was contaminated and I'll use that proof to take legal action against that servo and Caltex". I keep receipts for every fuel purchase.
FollowupID: 622628

Reply By: robertbruce - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:43

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 01:43
thka's for the replies...

if i use one of those "cup-filters", that filter out stuf as one fills, can i get a refund from the water it collects??
AnswerID: 354633

Sponsored Links