eu inverteer20i generator

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:14
ThreadID: 66893 Views:2747 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
would appreciate opinion regarding wether it is worthwhile carring generator. it is a heavy item to carry in single axle van pulled by a falcon. whats the opinion out there? thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:19

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:19
Yeah this is a good question,i bought mine mainly for when i go to my block,that hasnt happened for awhile and i dont/havnt taken it camping (size,weight) and ive had it well over a year...Find i lend it to my brother in law and that reminds me he hasnt given it back from eight weeks ago..

Cheers
AnswerID: 354367

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:38

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:38
Friend of mine also has mine at the moment. But I found it to be an assett on several occassions, incluing use as a battery charger. Will also take it on next trip in July. Yes, it can be awkward and heavy, but I won't leave it behind.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 622549

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:37

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 18:37
Hi Dennis Liz

Depends where you go (remoteness) and what you use for power - do you have solar? Also how much time you spend camping away from a powered source, and what electrical appliances you need.

When we got a small caravan (before present one) we purchased an 80 w solar panel, battery and controller, and risked leaving the old Yamaha at home. The system worked well, but we had good weather.

The Honda 2 kva is about as light as they come at around 23 kg (OK 10 kva is even lighter). There is also the weight of the fuel and oil. Storage of fuel may be more of an issue for you than storage of the genny.

As we are set up with solar, we purchased ours to run the caravan air con when holidaying one hot January. We only used it a few times, but really welcomed it on those very hot afternoons as i cannot cope in the heat.

We have since carried it with the caravan and it gets used occasionally for emergency power tools (for others as often as ourselves). Once in Tasmania when the release pin on our fixed jack on the caravan broke (we have a fixed jack not a jockey wheel), we would have been stuck in the bush for a mighty long time if not for a few minutes with the genny and an angle grinder.

If we go camping without the caravan, we don't take the genny but rely on our trusty old solar panel which is now on the tow vehicle.

When in the Kimberley last year, our solar system let us down (due to faulty panels - since replaced under warranty), we needed to run the genny for a while each evening to charge the batteries. This was entirely unexpected, and we would have been in strife without it.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 354369

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:15

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:15
I have the 10i and take it when ever I go more than 2-3days. I don't have solar yet. It's lightweight and 2L of fuel will go for a good 8-10 hours when you use the eco throttle. I mainly use it for the battery charger and running some power hungry things when we go away for 1-2 weeks
AnswerID: 354517

Follow Up By: Rustynuts - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 23:01

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 23:01
I agree with Motherhen. Solar is the way to go to keep your batteries charged. If you need to top up the aux batteries use the vehicle to charge them as its much quicker than a generator which only charges at a rate 7 or 8 amps.

I do have a genny myself and only use it occasionally to run the microwave in the van. Its a 2kva Kipor $900 Three years old so far so good. I wouln't pay $2000 plus for the more well known brand.

Noise is always a problem with generators especially operating under load and you have to be considerate to other campers so that's why I am now saving for a couple of solar panels and will probably leave the genny at home. I dont camp solo very often.

Happy camping
Rustynuts
FollowupID: 627411

Sponsored Links