Perth to Alice and back again

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 669 Views:1871 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
HI, we are planning a trip from Perth to Alice in July 2002. We are going there via SA but the husbands want to come home via the Great Central Road but we have heard reports that its not recommended for travel with Caravans. Has anyone got any information or know where I can find info on this road? It will be greatly appreciated and settle some disputes!

Sharon McCormick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Sharon,
July is the best time to be in this area and the Great Central Road is unlikely to pose a problem. It was once a problem road, but it now carries tour buses and a constant flow of 2wd vehicular traffic. It is still dirt, and will soon be tar we hear... but generally, you can take your caravan. It is beautifully graded to suit the peak tourist season that you will be in the thick off, so you wont be the only vanners. Not knowing your driving experience nor the size or type of your van, nor the kind of towing hitch it is difficult for me to advise further. For further info, you could phone the local council in the surrounding towns, eg. Laverton, Warburton. Put it this way, for 4WDrivers it is a yawn of a "trek" and for that reason, I haven't done a trek write up on this site yet. You can send me some info when you've done it if you like!
AnswerID: 1809

Follow Up By: Sharon Mccormick - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00
Michelle, Thanks for your reply! WE will be travelling in Pajero's with Viscount camper trailers (Similar to Jayco Swans). We have the standard tow hitch - do you think its neccessary to have one of those off-road hitches? We have done lots of short weekender trips out of Perth with the vans but this will the first "big" trip. I will be more than happy to let you know all about it if we go that way.
FollowupID: 608

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00
No, I wouldn't say it is necessary. I don't know the exact van you mention, however if its a camper trailer, but not an offroad one, you are unlikely to be taking it over articulated terrain where the 360% type coupling would be more desirable. The Great Central Road is graded and there is no articulated terrain to be concerned about.
AnswerID: 1816

Reply By: Lizard - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:00
You will be okay in a mechanically okay caravan - just take it easy ...... tyres , wheel bearings are the main things to check - take spares of these (and repack the wheel bearings beforehand! - this lesson learnt from experience).
AnswerID: 1824

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Sharon,
we went through July 2001 and, whilst we weren't towing, you shouldn't have any problems. It got sandy around Docker River(the grader was doing that section a week after we went through). Mostly its hard clay with a light sand cover- we saw plenty of 2wd doing the trip. It might not be heavy 4WDriving but I'd hardly call it a yawn, the scenery is brilliant all the way. PS- if you get a transit permit from the Central Lands Council then you won't have to pay the fee into Uluru when you are leaving the NT.
AnswerID: 2032

Sponsored Links