Jayco Camper Trailers

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:28
ThreadID: 66902 Views:7812 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hey, we have n Off Road All Terrain Camper Trailer that we dearly love however, it is quite difficult to pull down and I am starting to find it very difficult due to the fact that I have a shoulder injury that will only get worse as time goes on.

As an alternative we are thinking of getting a Jayco Eagle Out Back Trailer. They seem to easy to set up and more importantly the other half should be able to do it on her own if I become incapacitated at any time.

I realise that we won't be able to go extreme off road in it but we probably would never do that any way.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these types of campers?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:48

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:48
Why not have a look at the Penquin which doesn't have the pull out beds like the eagle etc. It just has a queen bed at one end and the kitchen etc at the other. Basically all you would have to do is wind up the roof and fit the door and your away. Perfect for a couple.
AnswerID: 354408

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:55

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 20:55
Cram,

If you've got a shoulder problem, give it a miss. Part of the setup is lifting the bed ends with your shoulder to fit the supports.

I've owned one and the setup as displayed is not quite as easy as it looks.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 354413

Reply By: Russell & Mary - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:01

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:01
Hi, we had a pull over tent camper trailer thingo and my wife did not enjoy camping much 'cause of the hassle and time. We bought a new Jayco Penguin last Aug and has been away 6 times. Each time she says she loves it. It takes one person 3 minutes to set up and the same to pack up. The awning takes one person an extra 2 minutes and the velcro sides another 5 or so. It has a queen size bed (innerspring) and is very comfortable.
AnswerID: 354415

Follow Up By: Russell & Mary - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:07

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:07
The penguin model has the bed inside all the time, ie, it doesn't slide out the front. This takes up space inside but all other models have slide out beds BOTH ends and for a couple this seems time wasting. The penguin could be set up by one person with one arm in 5 minutes.
FollowupID: 622589

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:53

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:53
happy enough for you to look for yourself at mine if you ever get down to south west of sydney. I honestly dont think the setup would be impossible for you with a shoulder injury (without knowing how bad it is) as i have had an extremely bad back injury for last 3 years which required major surgery and removal of 2 discs. during my injury i have still been able to set it up ok, even allowing for the assistance i may have had from the wife it hasnt prevented me from setting it up how i like. i actually fit a large tarp over my whole setup and this is more of a pain in the a... than the camper. there are ways around it all if its what you really want. maybe worthwhile hiring or borrowing one for a short trip but remember each trip you use one it gets easier and you come up with better ways of doing things. would be great if you have someone experienced in them to help you out too. a basic setup is as simple as winding up, pulling beds out, fitting under and over supports and fitting the door. if you want annexes, bed flys etc it all adds to setup but it really depends on what you want. you can even power up the wind up mechanism if need be also. depending on your injury, surgery may be an answer that actually helps you out and prolongs your "camping career". i am so much better off now since my surgery and i gave myself no hope of ever getting this good because of my injury. i also was trying everything to not have this surgery. finding the best back surgeon in this country really helped me, maybe something similar for yourself will apply at sometime in future. hope so and good luck...
AnswerID: 354433

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:54

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:54
Cram

I'll support what others have said about the Jayco Pengiun (off road). I've had two, and found them to be ok to a degree.

Very easy to set up (apart from that damn door).

On the inside it's comfortable, but the seats are very small. I took the closet out of mine.

The one thing I did like, was the abiliity to stop. Wind up the top and have a cup of coffee or lunch in a very short time.

Quality issues. My last one was a nightmare and that was the reason I sold it.

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 354434

Reply By: Member - Brinic (WA) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:24

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:24
Hi Cram,

We had a Goldstream Storm and I loved how airy and open it was, however, I suffer from bursitis in my shoulder and an old injury from a number of years ago. While pulling the beds out while on holiday my shoulder twinged so I was stuffed for the remainder of our trip.

We looked at the Jayco prior to getting the Goldstream, we decided against Jayco because of the poor quality finish and also because the benches were so low.

I agree with the others if you only have to wind it up, unfortunately you need to see if your shoulder would stand up to it. Mine wouldn't.

We sold our Goldstream, we now have a Coromal 541 which takes 20 min to set up and Brian can have a beer. Makes my life easier.

Nicole
AnswerID: 354448

Reply By: stumbly - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:31

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:31
we saw 1 down esperance in a c/van park that was electric - think it may have been a coromal or goldstream not sure. Press the button and up she goes! had a slide out too so a bit more internal space.
Not sure if the bed ends were electric though. Maybe worth a bit of research but...
AnswerID: 354507

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:52

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:52
Coromal Pioneer Silhouette has the slide out (bit of a gimmick IMO as doesn't give substantial extra space but creates another spot for dust ingress) and has a power winch option (watched this operated at van show and seemed to work ok, although if you're capable, hand winding is faster)
AnswerID: 354511

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:54

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:54
oops.. forgot to add the beds ends are still manually pulled out and the supports fitted.
FollowupID: 622666

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:03

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:03
Gidday Cram,

We have a Jayco Eagle, done the Anne Beadell, GRR, Border Track etc no problems.

I have a bad neck injury and once you get the idea, no probs setting it up. I stand on the draw bar and use my substantial weight to pull out the bed.. LOL SWMBO can setup on her own. I agree with other re: the Pengiun, but I personally prefer the extra room of having the beds out the ends of the Eagle.

Maybe hire one and give it a go. If your not doing any serious off road, maybe have a look at Jayco Extenda Van, they do one with just a rear bed, same weight as the Eagle Outback.

Cheers
AnswerID: 354553

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:19

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:19
Thanks for all your replies you have given me plenty to think about.

I think I can manage the wind up and down because it is my left shoulder that is troublesome and the pushing up of the beds should be ok with the help of the wife.

Penguin is not suitable as we have two children, albeit they are getting older and will soon not want to be away with us....thank god....lol

The problem with our current trailer is that it is heavy and has to pulled over, then back when we are finished then all of the setup with tent pegs etc tends to knock me about. Beer medicine helps but not enough...lol
AnswerID: 354554

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 21:48

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 21:48
Been there done that mate, with pegs etc. Takes SWMBO 42 cranks to raise the roof while I pull out bed ends. Pop in door and where setup. You will love it.
FollowupID: 622752

Sponsored Links