Newnes

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:02
ThreadID: 66903 Views:2039 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am hoping to spend the weekend in Newnes.
(just North of Lithgow in the Wolgan valley)
I used to go there some 15 years ago on a regular basis.

I'm just wondering what its like now, and if I can still get a caravan in there.
If anyone has some helpful info it would be appreciated.
Eg, price, camping availability, toilets, etc.

Is it as nice as it used to be???
Thanks in advance
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:12

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 21:12
Hi Brian, i have been there twice in the last year, van no problems but the corrugations were a shocker!!. it is still a nice relaxing place to stay. Free camping and compost toilets are there also. Firewood is a little short there but if you are happy to walk a little, you will do OK!! regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 354422

Reply By: bockstar1 - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:27

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:27
The descent into the valley is steep and winding. I would guess that officially the authorities would discourage you from taking a Caravan in. What sort of caravan do you have? I'd urge you to take caution and have the radio handy for communications.

As for the corrugations, I don't believe it's that bad. The Emerits resort are maintaining the road for trucks etc.

I wasn't camping 15 years ago but it's a great spot. The river (stream) is lovely and the surrounding scenery spectacular. There 2 pit toilets in the oval campground. For firewood a trip back out along the road would be required.

Here's the URL for the Hotel run by Allan Watson - http://users.tpg.com.au/newnes/index.html.

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 354518

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:44

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:44
Take a walk up the pipleine track if you go and are feeling fit...rewarding views from the top, but it is steep in places.

Haven't been for a while, but I've always found it enjoyable and I'm sure you'll have no problems with the caravan..........

Cheers

AnswerID: 354521

Reply By: Nic I (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:20

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:20
There's also a very pleasant walk to the glow worm tunnel - a short steep bit at the beginning, but the walk then follows the bed of the old shale oil railway and is an easy and very scenic stroll.
AnswerID: 354524

Sponsored Links