Bourke to Moree, need a campsite?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 22:16
ThreadID: 66905 Views:3035 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I will be travelling from Cameron Corner to Moree. I have a couple of days for the run so I need somewhere to put my head down for the night.

I would prefer to bush camp and would like to be closer to Moree than Bourke if possible.

I have driven the road once and remember thinking there are some good looking camping spots along here, but that was some time ago now and I never did stop and check them out.

So where are all the quiet spots to roll out a swag and enjoy a little camp fire while I wait for the sun to run around the other side of the planet?

Oh it will be a Saturday night, does that make a difference. It would be nice to be too far out of town for the local hoons.

Thanks in anticipation
Duncs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:41

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:41
Duncs
Have a look in Camps Australia book..
If there are any about, they are usually in there

Cheers Mate
Bucky
AnswerID: 354461

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 06:57

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 06:57
G'day Duncs

There are a few reserves not far out of Collarenebri on the LHS of the main road to Moree and there are lots of TSR watering points between Colly and Moree. I have camped in most of them over the years for work reasons and all are fine - no loos or showers but peaceful and quiet (apart from passing traffic). Some of the watering points are well off the main drag.

MM me if you want more info

Cheers

John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 354469

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:32

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:32
Duncs

Some North West NSW towns do have social problems but if you camp away from the road you should be OK. Maybe ask a local at a servo before nightfall

I recall camping near a bridge in the vicinity of Collarenebri. There was a bit of road noise but other than that it was quiet

This place is a tad out of your way but in the general direction. You can camp at Burren Junction artesian spa. There is a small cost involved I think and there may be other travellers there.

Another good camp is at Boobera Lagoon about 16km out from Goondiwindi just south of the McIntyre River, but again this is a bit far from your objective.

Go visit the artesian baths at Moree. Its refresing and envigorating for old bones....hahahahahaha

Cheers
AnswerID: 354476

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:23

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:23
Hi Duncs,

Not between Bourke and Moree but I will say it anyway. 9km to the north of Moree on the Gundy rd (Newell Hwy) is the Gwyder Rv (I think that's it's name) and just off to the side of the this river is some very peaceful spots to camp, not too hard to get to them but soft enough river sand to keep most 2wding local hoons from doing donuts at your campsite at midnight. I have stopped here a few times and never had any trouble. No ammenities at all. If you are driving north and cross the river I am talking about, you have gone just too far, the way to the river camps is just to the south of where the Newell hwy crosses the Gwyder Rv.

Hope it helps.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 354485

Follow Up By: Honky - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:15

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:15
heaps of burs at that site.

Honky
FollowupID: 622672

Sponsored Links