Hyden to Norseman

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:12
ThreadID: 66909 Views:5349 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a sealed road from Hyden to Noresman without having to go through Esperance. We will be leaving from Busselton to head to South Australia.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way across.

Thanks heaps for the advice.

Nicole and Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:30
as far as I know there is no sealed road.
I went the dirt road 2 years ago from Norseman to Hayden
and it was no problem .. most of the time I went 110 and the road is pretty wide and straight .. only towards the Hayden side I had some corrugations but nothing too bad ..
It is an easy drive ..
good luck
gmd

AnswerID: 354449

Reply By: PatrolSTL04 - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:33

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:33
I believe it is classed as an all weather road...

Its bitumen for a distance from Hyden, then becomes a good dirt road....it was about 3 years ago.

Can be closed off during significant wet though.

Have seen a number of people travel with caravans in tow and they have found it fine.

As at today...

Hyden-Norseman Road and other Shire Roads Status
Currently the Hyden-Norseman Road is OPEN to traffic.

The Hyden/Norseman Road (East of the East Hyden Grain Bin) is subject to the following:Hyden to Forrestania Cross Road - OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES.
Forrestania Cross Road to Norseman - OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES.
The Section of Carstairs Road from the State Barrier Fence to the Marvel Loch-Forrestania Road:
Carstairs Road - OPEN TO ALL VEHICLES.

AnswerID: 354450

Reply By: jvb1 - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:35

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 23:35
Road east of Hyden past Wave Rock is sealed for a little while, then gravel road rest of way depending on where you turn onto road to Norseman. Blokes from my work have been using the road to visit mine sites around the place and it seems to be a good road although care must be taken.
AnswerID: 354451

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:07

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 05:07
Hi N&B,

I drove the road last week, as others have said, no problems.
Handful of cars and mining vehicle activity.

Pull over a bit with oncoming roadtrains, they kick up a lot of dust, find yourself guessing where the road is until it settles.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 354464

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:17

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:17
Hi Lionel

It has always been a good road when we've been through - but those Lion Ore trucks are the danger - they know they own the road. I suspect the mines contribute to or do the maintenance.

I noticed on a different forum, a report from January that someone found it in terrible condition, and it took them 11 hours to do 264 kms. I can't imagine that, unless rain had been through and the trucks had cut it up badly.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 622767

Reply By: Alan H - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:53

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 09:53
There's a big camping area along there called the Breakaways which is good for an overnight stop. It's on the South side of the road and has drop toilets but nothing else and is quite secluded.
Otherwise as the others have said the road is good and you'll have no problems travelling it.
Alan.
AnswerID: 354490

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:06

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:06
Hi Alan - you beat me too it.

As Alan says, Breakaways is a big and nice camp site. I recommend anyone call in for a look (just off the road but secluded) even if not ready to camp.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622765

Reply By: Member - LOS BUSH - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:56

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:56
Gday Brinic .The Hyden to Norseman rd is a very enjoyable drive.We did it 2 weeks ago with a caravan and had no problems. The stops at The Breakaways (site 7 ) is a must , Mc Dermid Rock and Lake Johnston are also good places to have a break. Im sure you will enjoy the short cut LOS
AnswerID: 354503

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 19:10

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 19:10
Hi,

We are heading off across the Nullabore (again) around the beginning of April and thinking of going via Hyden - Norseman.

Do you have an off road caravan - we'll be towing a 21' Compass with Simplicity suspension - how was the road and how long did it take you?

Appreciate any advise as we've always wanted to take this route but never sure whether it's okay for us. We don't want to take too much more time over the alternative route via Northam/Sth Cross/Coolgardie.

You can see out van on the Home page (different car)http://www.customboatloaders.com.au/

Cheers

Dian

FollowupID: 622719

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:58

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:58
Hi
If you are leaving from Busso I would have thought it would be quicker to duck across to Lake King (via Wagin, Dumbelyung, Lake Grace ...and use the Lake King - Norseman Road. Not sealed so conditions may vary depending on when it was last graded. No idea on what state its in at moment.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 354515

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:13

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:13
Hi Greg

The Lake King - Norseman road is our quickest too - although have been on the Hyden-Norseman for a change, and when we chickened out on taking the F250 through the Holland Track.

Brinic, The former runs through the Frank Hann NP, and a side trip can be made to Peak Charles, where you can climb and can camp - although we haven't done that yet. It can be a bit pot holed, but easy if you watch where you are going. Because of less traffic, it doesn't get as corrugated as more frequently used roads. We came back home that way from our Tasmanian trip three years ago in an absolute cloudburst. Very slushy and slippery, but still not problem and we made good time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622766

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 16:25

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 16:25
I used to have the telephone number for the admin office in Norseman, I think it is the Dundas Shire. I always called them before traversing the road which was real helpful.
Unfortunately I can't be too helpful with the number as my previous phone I either lost or it got knocked off.

Cheeers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 354538

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 15:55

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 15:55
Hi Dion

We went into the Shire office to enquire about the road through to Lake King, as it was raining heavily, and we had been in rain since east of Balladonia. They told us they could not tell us road conditions - we would have to ring Main Roads, and gave me a card with 1800 number on it.

The previous year (2004), i phoned the Lake Grace Shire for condition of Lake King - Norseman Road, and they advised it was open and passable.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622831

Follow Up By: Paintar - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:26

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:26
Hi All
Travelled Lake King to Norseman 10 days ago lots of place under water like 1/2 km at 500mm deep and lots of deep wash always has been like this since Jan. Two blokes from Northam hade to be resued by Ses 2 days aftre we went throught
Lake King to Peak Charles 160kms travel time was 4hr in 4x4
Got lots of good photos. Norseman shire phone #0890391205
Hope this helps
FollowupID: 622922

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:14

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:14
Hi Paintar

Do you have your photos on the web?

I don't think the middle section is maintained - or if it is, not very often.

When we went to Tasmania in 2006, they'd had a huge amount of unseasonal rain around Lake Grace in January, and all the for the Spirit of Tasmania, two days before we left I phoned Main Roads to find out if there was any way through without going via Esperance. They said the Fitzgerald River Bridge (on highway to Esperance) is due to be opened 'day after tomorrow'. I didn't even know that had been washed out, but as luck had it, it was opened the afternoon before we got to it.

On the way home in April, we met heavy rain before Balladonia, which kept up past Norseman (it always seems to rain at Norseman). We decided we'd turn off around Grass Patch and find a short cut through the rural roads. However when we got to the Lake King road turn off - still bucketing down with rain - my husband turned towards home.

A little way along it we met two travellers with a motor home and a camper van. They said they'd camped at the 90 mile tank overnight and it had poured all night. They had taken all this time to get this far - it was now well after lunch time. Our nicely washed rig was soon coated in mud, and the rain stopped suddenly when we passed the tank. The rest of the road was relatively dry and we made good time, camping a bit past Newdegate with our very brown Patrol and caravan.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622962

Sponsored Links