Sunday Was A Really Bad Day

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:15
ThreadID: 66918 Views:2435 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
First I was conned into taking the daughter and her husband out to breakfast.

Then under the house I noticed a few drops of water. Went upstairs to find the Rheem half lying on its side and no bottom in it.

Had a quiet beer with dinner then decided to go up to get some petrol for the week......just a little because it was not Tuesday.

Thats exactly what I did..................50 ltrs of unleaded into the diesel !!!!!!

Drove the 1klm home in absolute panic.

Would really luv some helpful thoughts please

David

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:36

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:36
David, you're going to have to drain the tanks. From memory, a large 60 litre plastic tub will fit under most large 4x4s. DON'T RUN THE VEHICLE. Do you have access to a hand pump or similar to get fuel out of the tank? You can buy plastic hand syphons from super cheap which may allow you to syphon some of the mixture from the fuel tank into Jerry cans or similar before draining. I'll have a think myself.

That's not a real problem, I backed over the neighbours Suzuki swift on Monday morning. Car is so damn small it doesn't come up to the windows on the patrol!

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 354520

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:52

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:52
Good advice Mick, I'd bleed it as well - but just upping the ante , lady at work had house party for 18yo daughter , did right things , registered with police etc - but upset some of kids by refusing alcohol - one group on leaving threw a bunch of light sparklers over the house , missing it and lodging in air-con vent of neighbours house , fire spread through ducts and burnt neighbours house to ground in what police describe as freak un-intentional accident.
Hence expected charges won't include house burning.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 622676

Follow Up By: Member - David S (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:56

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 13:56
Thanks Mick

I presume the Suzuki is not looking too good....... Hope the neighbour was not in it a the time.......

Last month someone hit the rear left corner on the patrol and demolished it. Mr Nissan wanted big $$ so I got a s/h one from a wrecker. Put it on the next Saturday.

Went up to buy the papers on Sunday morning and guess what...demolished again by a lady this time....same corner.......unbelievable.

Went back to the wrecker the next weekend. Had a hard time explaining that I wanted the same corner again...... I know he thinks I have lost it.....

Hopefully the tank is being drained today (would be too difficult to do it at home) Am wondering though if I have really damaged the engine.

FollowupID: 622677

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 19:42

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 19:42
Dave, I'd say the Rheem is stuffed.

Get a new one.....lol.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 354571

Reply By: Wisey - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 20:55

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 20:55
For the hotteset hot hot water you've ever seen.....................on a lean, install a rheem.

I probably havn't helped here, sorry I can't make it any better for you,
ok! I'm going
AnswerID: 354595

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:37

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:37
Hey David,

Next Sunday stay in bed..... you will need to drain the tanks and as it was driven you will need to replace fuel filters.

Cheers
Matt
AnswerID: 354703

Reply By: Hayley_Demc - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:38

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 13:38
This happened to us last month. However we didnt notice for a few days. It wasnt pure unleaded fuel but some dirty mix of diesel and unleaded (and no it wasnt our stuff up as we have the reciept that says DIESEL). Has cost us just over $3500 to get it all fixed!Biggest $%#@ up ever. And fuel station couldnt care less. Good luck...
AnswerID: 354704

Follow Up By: Graham & Lynne - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:01

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:01
Hayley_Demc
If you paid for a cocktail of fuel contact that Service Station Brands Head Office & Dept of fair Trading
from Graham
FollowupID: 622870

Follow Up By: Member - David S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 21:51

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 21:51
I know you have all been concerned about my hygiene........

The Rheem went in today (after $1500 + 6 cans of Lynx anti perspirent that I have used this week.

Oh...almost forgot. Picked up the Patrol tonight. Tank and lines cleaned, fuel pump dismantled and checked. (apparently unleaded in a diesel fuel pump is a big no no.

Injectors removed and cleaned. The fuel pump had unleaded in it and the injectors had a slight mixture of diesel and unleaded so hopefully not much went into the motor.

Seems to be running well so am keeping the fingers crossed

Cheers
David
FollowupID: 622881

Follow Up By: Hayley_Demc - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 00:15

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 00:15
Hi Graham,
Could you give me some morinfo on that please? I contacted fair trading as soon as we found out what had happened and they said this was an issue they did not deal with. I was surprised to hear this but they assured me this was correct and pointed me towards someone who could be of more assisstance. So far no one has been able to help or even offer any advice.
FollowupID: 622903

Sponsored Links