I have been converted!

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:02
ThreadID: 66944 Views:3322 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I finally went on a 4WD course on the weekend and must admit that I am looking forward to getting back out there and doing a bit more.

I was just about frozen with fear but decided that if I wanted to fulling enjoy our upcoming trip I needed to dive in the deep end.

I fully recommend to anyone who is frightened when they get off the black stuff and feel that 4WD's will just tip end over end down a steep hill they should go and get trained by the professionals.

I even braved it up the big hill and feel that I finally understand what you see in 4WDriving. I also wanted to get to that gorge at the end of the road but feel now that I will actually enjoy the trip as much as the destination.

Only problem is that 'handbrake' may be competing for the steering wheel and I know how some of you feel about that!

Now may have to look at a name change as scared is no longer appropriate.
Mel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:06

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:06
Well done... Now life is just beginning. Just spend as much time as you can travelling with experienced people on day trips or longer; learn and enjoy!

All the best.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 354724

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:09

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:09
Good for you!

It's got more to do with confidence, in yourself and your car, than it has to do with anything else.

We quite often have people who need a minute to compose themselves after succesfully traversing a seemingly impossible obstacle... and when that minute is up, they wanna go again.

Now get out there and enjoy it.

cheers

Dave

(oh I will add that I had nothing to do with the member formerly known as Scared's course, just very happy for him)
AnswerID: 354725

Follow Up By: Member - Scared (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:22

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 16:22
Oh yes I agree, I got stuck a couple of time with wheels with no traction but that just taught me how to do it better. I learnt to be more confident keep up the power and not back off when the going got tough.

When I traversed the big hill I got out of the car and I could hardly walk for my knocking knees. I don't think I enjoyed my day at the time because I was too stressed but now I feel that even if I don't do the very large hills I am quite confident on all the rest, and trust me, that is a HUGE improvement.

I was surprised the impact of a confident and encouraging instructor could have, much more influential than my husband telling me it is fine......

We are off in May and now I am adding some extra tracks to my list, without going beyond my depth until we have some more experience.
FollowupID: 622839

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:58

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:58
I am with Dave, its about knowing what your vehicle CAN do and how much of that you are prepared to do with it. In lots of cases the vehicle will be more capable than the driver.

A few years watching and marshalling 4WD events shows you what a car and competent confident driver can do, and also what I DONT want to do.

The rest is fun, get out and enjoy it scared or not :0)
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 623257

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 17:08

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 17:08
Good on you its all fun! The braver you get the better you will find your 4 x 4 is! You will be amazed where it will go, it all takes a bit of time and the easy way to learn is follow someone that has no fear :-). All the best for the future and keep it upright! Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 354732

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 18:30

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 18:30
it appears that the " Handbrake" is the hubby!! LOL!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 354745

Reply By: troopyman - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:11

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:11
Horses for courses i suppose . Complete waste of time for me .
AnswerID: 354761

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:39
Troopyman
Beyond learning anything is a sign of stagnation, NO one knows everything, an open mind can always learn, but a closed mind can never learn.

I'll probably stop learning when I stop breathing.

Colin.
FollowupID: 622873

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:00

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:00
Troopyman,

I'm sure that other trainers on this site would agree that you are never too old or too experienced to learn something new, or at the very least ...... to have an old .... or possibly bad habit, modified. Then again, your post could possibly be just a lure ..... AKA .. a red herring.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

PS Yes, we have had experienced 4WD'ers on courses that have learned ..............

W&S.

FollowupID: 622909

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:43

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:43
Well done Scared
Maybe your new tag can be "Braveheart"
Cheers Colin.
AnswerID: 354767

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 22:15

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 22:15
Great Stuff, Hope you really get out there and enjoy, after my ThreadID: 66878 Its great to see people learning first.
AnswerID: 354782

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:06

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:06
G'day Mel,

Pleased to hear that your perspective has changed since attending the course. All good from here and we hope you enjoy your vehicle, the Australian country side and the ability to see more than the two wheel driver traveller will see ............. other than on the National Geographic Channel.

Looking forward to meeting up with you on the road sometime soon.

Cheers,
Wayne.

AnswerID: 354812

Sponsored Links