a very very basic question

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 18:38
ThreadID: 6695 Views:1484 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I purchased an 84 swb pajero earlier this year. It's going well, my wife and i have taken it out and had quite a bit of fun.

Unfortunately neither my wife and are very mechanically minded. in fact, everything and anything under the hood is a complete mystery!

fortunately i have a great mechanic, who is friendly and honest. he is pretty busy though, so he can't always be there to answer my obviously naive questions

I have a question about the power steering. Along with the radiator cap, and dip stick, the mechanic showed me the cap to the power steering. A similar style cap to the radiator but smaller. He gave me a bottle of some red liquid called "Power Steering Stop Leak & Conditioner" to put in it.

I have a question to all you knowledgable members. Can I just keep topping up the power steering with this conditioner? I have noticed that over time the level has gone down.

What does the conditioner do? Does it just plug holes? Or does it also help smoothen the power steering?

Thanks for your help

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 18:59

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 18:59
gday 4wdnovice.
what power steering conditioner does is to make the seals in the steering system swell to help seal leaks.
i wouldnt recomend using only conditioner to top up your fluid level.
power steering should not need topped up that often if it does you have a leak some where.find out where it is(your mechanic should know) and get it fixed.
i see lots of power steering leaks and lots are just caused by power steering hoses coming a little loose so might be a simple fix.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 28464

Reply By: Matt M - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:25

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:25
Hey good question, the conditioner can work well for minor leaks. My PSbox was leakin for ages and after trip across the Donahue Hwy the PSpump started to leak as well and with a few thousand kms and no help sourcing parts in Alice, I used the conditioner. It worked a treat and even sealed the boxes leaks!

Im sure that you do just keep topping up the reservoir with conditioner but if it keeps using fluid then you have a substantial leak! I would be looking at gettin it fixed.

FYI my box and pump lasted another three years and over 100 000 km before the leak went terminal, dumped totally!! So it can be good!

Matt.
AnswerID: 28525

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:10

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:10
check out this site its yank so turn so pictures around (steering) but its great to give a little knowledge so you dont sound like a total knowideaer when you need to go to other places than your mechanic.
its called www.howstuffworks.com
i think or do a search in google its a great site helped me a few times
AnswerID: 28540

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 23:33

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 23:33
4wdNovice,
The only stupid questions are the ones that aren’t asked. Hope you enjoy the Paj Welcome to the forum; Sorry I can't answer Your Question 84's a bit before my time. I was still in Primary School.............
Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 28578

Sponsored Links