WHO DOES WHICH CHORES WHISLT CAMPING?,

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:12
ThreadID: 66969 Views:3197 Replies:13 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
When we go Caravaning / Camping, the Cook and I work as a Team, when we get to our destination, and get ready to park the Van, we will get out and check the site, have a quick discussion on parking the Van, she will walk beside the the passenger door and tell me how I'm going and that's it, all done, no yelling or arguments, then we will set up the van with the Roll Out Awning,Power and Water ect, and when we are away I do the all the BBQ cooking and the washing up, the Cook does all the preparation and van tidying up ect,I even notice most women do the same thing, with all types of camping set- ups, whether it is Camper Traliers, Vans, Tents, or Motor Homes, everybody has there seperate chores to do, it seems that they just get on with it in most cases, Now on the other side of the Equation, you can see some funny Temper Tantrums and Dummy Spits, especially when campers are erecting that new Tent with a instsruction phamplet ect, and its getting dark or starting to rain, and they have the Vehicle Headlights on to see what they are doing, and they usually by now have a Audience who are sipping on a Beer or Wine and starting to relax, IT'S ALL FUN LOL LOL.

Cheers
Daza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:23

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:23
I put the tent up, Kids carry the tent pegs, The boss finds my bottle of Bundy, and everyone else helps set the rest up hahaha

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 354845

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:42

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:42
Hey Kev
You should be called (Captain Kev).
FollowupID: 622937

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:43

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:43
I have been called worse hahahaha

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 622939

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:32

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:32
I do all the packing of the car and unpacking. She helps to setup tent and tarps etc etc. I always do the cooking and she does the cleaning up and packing away while I sip my beer around the fire :)

Works for us
AnswerID: 354847

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:50

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:50
I sit back, red wine in hand, and shout encouragement. She's a great little woman.

Wife looks after the interior of the van, prepares food, I cook outside, & look after the technical stuff.

Pretty well like home (in good weather).
AnswerID: 354851

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:53

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:53
G'day Daza,

You are spot on, it is just all fun. But one comment has me confused "have a quick discussion on parking the Van" - how do you manage that one? A quick decision for us is if we get organised before the others hit the showers!

The bride is just so argumentative, she can't make up her mind on which way is north and it is all down hill from there. This is probably why we have so many people joining us in our travels - free entertainment.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 354852

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:59

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:59
Hi Beatit
I didn't mention the early days prior to getting experience lol.
FollowupID: 622942

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:02

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:02
Beatit

Im with you on this one, and would love to know how one has a "quick discussion" on anything relating to positioning a van or camper when you get to where you are possibly thinking of camping. That in itself is another story - where to camp and the discussion around that one :)

Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 622943

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:13

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:13
You mean to say that there is a point in time where she will not be always right! I'm looking forward to that day but I think I'll be worn down first.

I presume the "experience" your talking about isn't nearly as satisfying as doing something your way.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 622946

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:34

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:34
After many years of dragging the kids through the bush; she now stays at home.
No arguements.
The boss makes all the decisiions, and if they're the wrong ones, boots his own backside.
Ahh...solitude and bliss LOL
AnswerID: 354863

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:33

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:33
G/Dat Footy

I reckon you are in Solitude and Bliss all the time, where you live, it's Gods country, you have the best of both worlds lol.no wonder the Missis wants to stay at home.
FollowupID: 622988

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:39
As usual Dazza, you're not wrong. Havent seen you hanging around the 25 hour servo at the back of 19th ave yet LOL
FollowupID: 622991

Reply By: Robert H (SEQ)(aka zuksctr) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:12

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:12
Dazza, i have to do it all.:(
I get no arguments no bitching nothing, "tiddelly squat".
Eat yer Hearts out Bros;
As it is only i to be there.
Now let the fun begin.Lol

Bob.
AnswerID: 354883

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:29

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:29
G/Day Robert

I have the Cook / Navigator / Nurse ect ect ect, so when We, I, or Us get lost when I take the wrong turn I can have somebody to blame lol, then I get a mouthfull and my title changes to Old Fart.
FollowupID: 622963

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 13:01

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 13:01
Very Traditional at our house Dazza - basically wife does inside things - cooking clothes beds etc and I do outside things like tents, car, get firewood and play with electronic toys.

We think that is better to have your own space and responsibilitys that any marginal benefits when one might think they can do the others tasks better.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 354904

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 13:59

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 13:59
We are similar at home, but when we are away I like to do the cooking out side, she still does the preparation, and organising food ect, and I do the camp fire bit also.
FollowupID: 622974

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 13:39

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 13:39
Heu Daza,

We currently live in our van - we are travelling Oz, we are the same we all pitch in even the girls 7yrs and 8.5yrs - they wind down the feet on the van ect we all hook up water and sullage (only Matt and I do the 240V) its a real team effort even emptying the loo.......... We have been on the road since November 2008 - we have become much closer as a family (certainely a lot more tolerant!!!) and the girls have learnt so much.

We too have seen some real domestics take place and have watched in total disbelief as the guy - sets up tent, kitchen, loo ect the whole kit and kaboodle whilst the wife sat in her chair under a tree with a Chardy in hand and waited till it was all set up (actually have seen this a few times.........)

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 354912

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:09

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:09
Hi Caroline

You & the Family are making me jealous, being on the road full time,we are all set up with the van ect,we will be taking every third month off and getting our Subby to look after the business when we are away, sounds like your family has got thing organised, and having a ball.
FollowupID: 622976

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:06

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:06
Hi Daza and the Cook

When we used to go tenting or had the wind up, it was all a dual effort with setting up and packing up. He did the winding as it was too stiff for me to wind. Now with the caravan ready to use, we have set jobs.

In the morning, i get breakfast ready while he makes the bed (he won't so that at home!). I wash up and check everything inside is secure while he does the outside stuff and checks all things mechanical. I get the lunch stuff ready into the car fridge. He gets impatient and starts 'warming up' the car if i am not ready to go. We generally don't unhitch.

When we stop, he who has done the driving gets a cup of tea or a cool drink with a snack, while i go exploring if it is early, or just cook the meal if late. I do all the washing up so minimal water and detergent (if any) is used.

I convinced him that emptying the loo is a 'boys job'.

When things need fixing, i am the 'trades assistant' getting and passing the tools, holding and assisting as required.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 354915

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:20

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:20
Mother Hen

Your making me jealous also,my Cook is the same, she will help if I need a hand to do something,we like to think we are a Team, I show her how to do things just incase of an emergency ect, it's allways handy, and she won't empty the Loo either lol.
FollowupID: 622982

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:15

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:15
Hey Daza

Good on you.... at least you are getting out every few months - better than not being able to. We have no regrets - we sold our home to do this and our families both thought we were totally NUTS!!!! - I did have a business in Brisbane, however I can start up again when (if) we settle again. There is a whole other world out there and we are all fit and healthy and the girls are both on track with their school work.

Its not always easy, some days the girls just don't want to do the school work......... and you do have to make other adjustments but well worth it!!!

You never know that 3rd month may turn into every 2nd month and so on......................................

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 354917

Follow Up By: LeanneW - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:09

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:09
Hi Caroline,

I am totally with you re travelling while you are young. After being chronically ill for nearly a year (and still not having great health sometimes), my husband and I decided that we only have one life, so if you can, get out and do what you want to do before you die. (Plus you never know when your number's up, so try and do it sooner rather than later). We travelled around OZ (in a tent) for 4 months, and now a few years later we have a 3yo daughter, and are just about to buy a camper trailer and go on more trips when we can. The other advantage of travelling while young and fit (and joints in good condition!), is that hiking through gorges or up Kings Canyon are easier.
I am interested in your children's schooling - are they just working on material organised by their school, or are you using a "school of the air" or correspondence school? This is something we may have to consider in the future if we go on an extended trip (finances allowing).
Happy travels
Leanne
FollowupID: 623212

Follow Up By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:29

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 14:29
Hi Leanne,

Yes I agree with you I am 40 this year and my father died at 49 - not saying I too will check out that early........... With regards to school - the girls are both Home Schooled we started a few months before we left. We are registered with HEU in QLD - I wrote their cirriculum and use text books like QLD Targeting Maths, McMillan English ect - as these give me an idea as to what they should be learning for their current age/year.

We also use the internet ect. The girls have learn't a lot of life skills and history/geography/science are covered during our travels. To do distance ed is too hard as you have to be in certain places at certain times this just didn't suit us at all. I do have to report twice a year and send in samples of the girls work.

Cheers
Caroline
FollowupID: 623493

Reply By: toucan68 - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:28

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:28
Our system works well for us and hubby and i dont argue....much!

While we put the tent up 11 year old twin girls set up the camp bunks, 9 year old girl pulls all bags, chairs etc out of the trailer and the 7 year old boy follows dad around handing out the pegs for him to hammer in.
4 kids are great.. they all can hold a pole when needed.

Not untill everything is done do we open the alcohol !

Hubby does all the cooking and i do all the cleaning. Kids help to (a bit )
AnswerID: 354919

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:39
toucan68
Four kids hey you planned that well, question, what happens if you get a bigger tent with six poles lol.
FollowupID: 622990

Follow Up By: toucan68 - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:44

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:44
Well i dont plan on any more kids..lol......Well not with my current husband...(snip snip)...lol
FollowupID: 623198

Reply By: Member - Kim and Doug (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:52

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:52
We are about to hit the road full time at the end of this month,
(not told our bosses yet want to suprise them when we say that we wont be coming in next week), had enough of working and not living so off we go.

We share the driving sometimes, I do 90% of the meals (ex chef) and my lovely wife looks after the little things like clothes beds washing etc and pouring the wine or scotch.
AnswerID: 354991

Follow Up By: PradOz - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:31

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:31
i am turning green - and no i look nothing like the hulk - i am getting jealous. have fun and safe travels
FollowupID: 623082

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:59

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:59
I have a beer or three and a read whilst the staff do the chores

(if I can swing it)
AnswerID: 355019

Sponsored Links