OPAL any problems? Act now compulsary legislation might be coming.

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 16:50
ThreadID: 66982 Views:2558 Replies:7 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5413397/petrol-stations-stock-opal-fuel/

I've used OPAL since it 1st came out in my car and bikes and personally I haven't had any problems. Plenty of my friends are in the same boat but I keep hearing anecdotally how terrible the stuff is.

If anybody has proof of how bad it is they can report it to http://www.aant.com.au/News/tabid/101/newsid468/1/Default.aspx

The AANT have had the offer on the table for years now and no ones been able to provide any proof of any problems yet the old rumours persist.

Methinks the last few non OPAL retailers are milking a rumour to hold onto a "captive " audience.

So who has the proof?

Regards,

Sam.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:52

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:52
slammin
I applaud the introduction of OPAL fuel and am amazed buy the brilliant results in Aboriginal community's in their fight against fuel sniffing.

What I cannot understand is the fact that because it has LESS "aromatics" in it, that is should cost approx 33cents per Lt. MORE.

Call me cynical but it "smells" (pun intended) of BP cashing in on the uniqueness of the product along with the emotional impact.

If everyone were pure of intentions, there would be NO extra costs involved.

I do hope the stories re OPAL prove to be false.
Colin.
AnswerID: 354963

Follow Up By: slammin - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:07

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:07
All the major suppliers were invited to Papunya back in 2002 or 3ish by the traditional owners and CAYLUS. BP was the only one that turned up. They listened to the problems and left making no promises.

About a year later they came back with a solution, being OPAL. OPAL is produced at only 1 refinery so there is probably extra costs there plus a years worth of chemists etc.

Frankly I hope they do make a profit out of it. If I get the chance I buy BP.
FollowupID: 623041

Reply By: GregF - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:01

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:01
Howdy Sam
I live in the Alice where Opal is the norm except for Premium. so I guess we are a captive audience. I tried it in my v6 pajero, and it made it run like a Hairy Goat and I lost about 80 to 100 klicks to a tank and that a new donk in it. Me mate Hairy put it in his 80 series and did the same thing. My son has a 2005 Hilux that will tolerate it,but it goes more smoothly and more economically with Premium. My missus has a2006 hot up V6 Commordore and it doesnt mind it, but it does run better with Premium. A prominate local identity said that he would rather see alot of damaged cars around Town rather than Damaged kids,I guess that person doesnt have to pay for his repairs. Perhaps, if those particular kids Parents looked after them better ,rather than indulging in there own addictions, then we woudnt have to put up with all this Sh......
Been in the Territory 40+ years and got and had some great mates from lots of different backgrounds, and alot of them will agree.
Regads
Captive, by my choice.
AnswerID: 354966

Follow Up By: slammin - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:17

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:17
[quote] I lost about 80 to 100 klicks to a tank [\quote]

I suggest you call AANT right away as you have the proof that will stop the potential rollout.

Better still ring up Consumer Affairs and go after BP as they have provided you with an inferior product that they have guaranteed to provide the same economy as normal unleaded.

If that's too hard then I'm sorry but i can't take your claims seriously.
FollowupID: 623045

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:16

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:16
Greg, Im reading your loss in economy in comparison to premium .. is that right?
FollowupID: 623075

Follow Up By: GregF - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:08

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:08
Hi Robert Bruce.
Yes,My Pajero,started to idle unevenly, loss of power and yes it lost about 80 to 100 klicks to the tank around town this was on Opal.
When I recommenced on Premium, what was lost was returned.
Sorry Sam I cant substanciate those comments with documented evidence, I took it as what I had to put up with.
I now drive a Diesal.
Regards
Greg.
FollowupID: 623138

Follow Up By: slammin - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:21

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:21
Shame Greg.

If it happened. I would've been back to the servo in an instant.

FollowupID: 623144

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:10

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:10
Greg mitsubushi looses 30-50 k's between ULP and PULP so maybe your last tune-up was done with PULP in the system.... if you can tune it yourself it maybe worthwhile looking at ulp and eulp for around town and go pulp for the highways and hills, tha;s what i do...

so when you see somebloke leaning into his engine bay with a timing light at the base of a mountain, yep, it'll be me
FollowupID: 623230

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:44

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:44
Yeah........I wouldnt take you seriously either. Hahahahaha
But as for your claims about OPAL....I agree!

Cheers
FollowupID: 623235

Follow Up By: robertbruce - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:56

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:56
there there, pat pat, settle now Hairy ... titbit for you to ponder.... scorps and saggitariuns have there arrow and sting pointed at each other in the night sky...
FollowupID: 623236

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:05

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:05
Settle??? Note: Hahahaha
??????????????????????
FollowupID: 623239

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:07

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:07
This has been a thread before.

Anyway, a friend who manages stores in Aboriginal communities in the N.T. sells this stuff. He filled up his X-Trail and claims that it ran badly and didn't recover until he had filled up again with premium ULP.

There is a rumour, yet to be substantiated, that Honda reckons it will void new vehicle warranty if they detect it is being used.

I just wonder if this will be a 'silver bullet' that is expected to solve the problem of substance abuse. There are heaps of other chemicals that give one a 'high', and can damage you as effectively at petrol. LPG is one that comes to mind. This gas is available in heaps of applications, forget the other stuff in the can.

I wonder what will happen if that becomes a problem.

seeya

Dick

AnswerID: 355078

Follow Up By: slammin - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:41

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:41
Thanks Richard, but please stick to the facts. Not the unsubstantiated rumours and claims from someone else.

I remember the other thread and that's all there was - rumours and someone elses experience. That's where this thread is different.

I've never had any problems no one I know has had any problems and nobody has taken a claim to AANT. FACT

What I do notice is that the nay sayers always quote someone else and unsubstantiated bulldust and then finish with a paragraph about lazy parents, it's their fault or I wonder if ........ whatever. Now that is a fact.

C'mon [QUOTE]There is a rumour, yet to be substantiated, that Honda reckons it will void new vehicle warranty if they detect it is being used. [/QUOTE] Do you realise how silly that is?
FollowupID: 623130

Follow Up By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:05

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:05
The 'claim' by my friend the manager would be correct. I have no doubt as to his veracity, and in any case why would he mention it?

You can believe that Opal is the bees knees, that is your God given right, but we are hearing far too much negative information about the way this stuff performs. It may well be that different engines perform differently, with this fuel. Remember in the years prior to ULP, we had super & standard petrol. Standard petrol worked, but not very well in motors tuned for super petrol. We knew that I avoided it. This Opal stuff is very likely the same.

Being the owner of a new Honda Accord, I merely reiterated what a serviceman at the local Honda agent told me. Now, I don't consider motor mechanics to be the Oracle of Delphi, so I'm finding out myself. I've written to Honda personally and I'm awaiting a reply. Until I get a reply from Honda it remains a 'rumour'. So watch this space.

I'll be checking with the NRMA too.

FollowupID: 623157

Follow Up By: slammin - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:07

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:07
[QUOTE]You can believe that Opal is the bees knees[/QUOTE]

I have proven it and so have my friends, we have been using it since it came out. We're just waiting for proof that's all.

[QUOTE]I've written to Honda personally and I'm awaiting a reply. Until I get a reply from Honda it remains a 'rumour'. So watch this space. [/QUOTE]

That is great and I applaud your actions.

I think that everyone who has any proof that it causes problems should act on it. However I don't think your Honda will run well on any 91RON fuel. I was looking at getting one and I seem to remember it is a premium fuel only car. Be careful you don't muddy the waters. Perhaps the servicemen meant you need premium?

FollowupID: 623169

Follow Up By: slammin - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:25

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:25
FWIW I just got off the phone from Caroleena at Kittles Honda and she said they haven't had any problems at all with OPAL.

FACT
FollowupID: 623171

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:42

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 18:42
Gday Sam,
Who's paying you to promote OPAL? You seem pretty keen to shoot down anyone who has a different opinion than you.
I like dozens of others have tried OPAL....ONCE!
I find it strange that you take the word of " Karolina " a sales person from Kittles (which is 49 percent Aboriginal owned) over people who have used the stuff themselves ,and then shoot people down for rumour mongering?????
If OPAL works for you, that's fantastic......But it didn't in my car and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else after my "Personal Experience"

Cheers
AnswerID: 355183

Follow Up By: slammin - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:51

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:51
I think the title of the thread sums it up. Frankly I'm a sceptic so I'm willing to listen but only to facts and I'm yet to see them.

So again, if anyone has hard proof as to OPAL causing engine problems or running irregularities, now is the time to get it sorted. AANT has offered free inspections since the stuff came out. All they've been offered is old cars that won't run on any type of unleaded, (derrrr) or performance cars that have exactly the same issues.

If your car runs badly on OPAL, ring 'em up. If I had your personal experience with the stuff I'd be calling blue bl00dy murder. I can't work out why you haven't????

Can't be that hard?

FollowupID: 623391

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 02:05

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 02:05
Sceptic??? Thats an understatment.
You need to see facts? Thats going to impossible then...........
Myself...............I believe my mates????????
Ring them and tell them?? why not? I know it doesnt work! I dont need someone to tell me.
Like I said mate if it works for you .... thats great! But your one in a Hundred!
Your obviously a local, so lets catch up and discuss this with a few mechanics
Ive been here a while mate, and your the only person Ive ever heard who is Pro OPAL??????????
FollowupID: 623428

Follow Up By: slammin - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:51

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:51
I'm hardly a 1%er LOL. That's strictly reserved for some hog riders eh.

Do a headcount of locals during lunchtime at an OPAL station for half an hour and then do the same at a non OPAL staion. 1% my a$$ LOL

You keep on intentionally missing the point of the thread. I've used it since it came out and you've tried it once. Obviously YMMV so what?

So for the last time. Since your car runs so badly on OPAL you can call AANT and they will investigate your claims and those of your mechanic friends as well. If you do nothing and the legislation is enacted you might remember this thread.

FWIW I left Alice last year and I'm now in the Top End and still using OPAL week in and week out like everybody else I know.

FollowupID: 623651

Reply By: robertbruce - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:23

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 19:23
i was out the back of burke 8 months ago - would i have been buying OPAL then??
AnswerID: 355188

Reply By: t303 - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 22:03

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 22:03
A number of the vehicles on the Endeavour rally through central Aus suffered dangerous breakdowns due to rubber parts in fuel system dissolving. Imagine fuel p*ssing out of a mech fuel pump onto a hot engine! "Bad Petrol" et al of course claim nothing wrong with fuel, poor maintenance etc (the XW Falcon I'm familar with has completed every stage of every rally for 20+ years- it ain't no wreck-but it did a fuel pump diaphragm, rubber almost completely dissolved) After much ringing around Boffins from another oil company acknowledged (off the record) that yeah, problem is known about, and we reckon the best fix we can come up with is a double dose of Morey's upper cyl lube and refill with "real" fuel ASAP. This apparently gives the closest chemical match.

PS it only took the geniuses about two months to work out how to make it sniffable again with common-as-dirt materials
AnswerID: 355229

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:27

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:27
Gday t303,
BP themelves will tell you its not suitable for pre 1986 (I think) vehicles without an additive and they used to say not in performance vehicles either.......What new engines wouldnt you call a performance engine??????.
When OPAL first come out I contacted them (BP Australia) asking, what was removed to make it unsniffable and what was its purpose? I also asked if there was an additive that should be used. The answer was no aditive needed and they just gave me a big lecture on petrol sniffers..........
But to OPALS credit there has only been one death linked to OPAL so far.
Most mechanics I know strongly recomend the use of premium over opal and one of the reasons is as you stated above.
Cheers
FollowupID: 623312

Reply By: slammin - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 13:08

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 13:08
Unfortunately this thread is turning into a personal claim and counterclaim.

The point of the thread is - go take your claims to AANT. They will investigate your claims and so would any other consumer group if you have had problems with OPAL.

If I bought something and it didn't work I would act on it, simple. I can't understand any legit person who wouldn't as money is money.

If you have proof call them arrange a time and they will test your car and proove how it runs on OPAL.

Until you do that there is no point in telling me about your claims. Luckily for us all I don't enact legislation LOL.
AnswerID: 355644

Sponsored Links