Not a happy chappy

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:22
ThreadID: 66985 Views:3498 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
A mate of mine has a 4wd Nissan Navara which has given him problems since new. The clutch is now slipping after 90,000Klms and he’s been quoted $2,300 to get it fixed.

He’s had a gut full of the car and wants to get rid of it. If anybody has a well looked after Landcruiser for sale within the $25 – 30,000 range, can you drop me a line at kimmc@satlink.com.au . I’ll then pass the details onto him (his computer is'nt working at the moment).

He’d prefer an automatic. Other things such as colour etc are of no interest.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:35

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:35
Kim,
I had my gearbox rebuilt and clutch replaced for $2100 The part for the gearbox was $600 alone. Clutch was $600 and 900 for labour oils regrind flywheel and I got him to replace the diff oils whilst he had it on the hoist. $1700 is an aweful lot of money just to remove and replace the gearbox and refil with oil
Peter
AnswerID: 354961

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:48

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:48
Gidday Peter

I must admit I shocked when he told me what the cost was going to be. He's done no hard work with it, apart from towing a 7x4 box trailer around occasionally.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 623035

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:52

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:52
Ah Peter...but where has little Navara been?....LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 623038

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:09

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:09
Hi Willem,
That is why I did not complain........ But am very glad the Layshaft bearing did not go out in the middle of the scrub with u guys..... :) That would have caused a bit of grief all round..... lol
FollowupID: 623043

Reply By: Member - Paul W- Esq (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:42

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 19:42
My mate has one also ( 06 STX T/D ) and he has just (2 weeks ago) had #4 clutch under warranty. he is jack of this thing,it has spent more time in Nissan than with him. also many other things have gone wrong with it, he is panicing a bit now as the warranty is now up (100k) and things might get a little sticky with Nissan now. He still has 2 years with the lease but he might have to do something if it starts playing up again.
AnswerID: 354975

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:25

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:25
Hi Kim,
I don't blame your mate for wanting to get rid of it.
Don't ya hate spending money when there really shouldn't be a need to do so.
Amazing the difference between Toyota and Nissan when it comes to customer service. Nissan just wipes their hands of any wrong doing or liability.
Were as Toyota near bend over backwards(in my experience) to keep the customers happy. I have noticed in my factory owners manual that the Big End Bearings were replaced at 180000km on the 10-09-98 under warranty, Seven years after manufacture. Toyota acknowledge there was a problem and dealt with it.

Has your mate tried CalesSales.com
or another similar site?
Countrycars.com

I hope their find a great 4WD.

AnswerID: 354987

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:45

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 20:45
Gidday Jon,

This only happened today, so he hasn’t had a chance to look around.

I’m having a meeting with the principle of a Toyota dealership on Monday to discuss another location, but I thought it wise to ask if anyone has a Landcruiser for sale beforehand.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 623071

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:10

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:10
Toyota dealers seem pretty approachable, I hope it all goes well Kim.

FollowupID: 623073

Follow Up By: scedd - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11
Things must be different in the southern states.
Toyota in Toowoomba have just refused a warranty repair on my 08 Hilux because it has Old Man Emu suspension fitted.
Their refusal letter stated "regardless of the conclusions our technicians have come to, the fact that you have the non-genuine springs and shock absorbers fitted to the vehicle excludes it from any warrantable claim through Toyota.The information regarding non-genuine parts and warranty coverage is outlined in your Hilux warranty and service book,section 1,page 9, clauses 2 and 3 are the specific areas of note."

So if i want the get my warranty back, i will have to sell my suspension, bullbar, winch & long range tank, but i can keep my Toyota canopy.

Its enough to make a bloke buy a Datsun!!
FollowupID: 623160

Follow Up By: Pezza (Bris) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:17

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:17
Seem to remember Yota running pretty fast from all the 'collapsed front suspensions" when the 100 series first came out.
IMO they're like political parties, all as bad as each other :-)

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 623193

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:12

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 20:12
Hi scedd,
Wash your mouth out!
A Datto, For heavens sake, No, don't go there. ;)
Anyway, you don't mention want your claim was for. I'm having a guess here, Was it related to the running gear of your Hilux? If it was, I can kinda understand why they might reject a claim if there are a lot of after market components added after purchase. The geometry of the vehicle has changed. EG; ride height, weight.
They Quote,
"service book,section 1,page 9, clauses 2 and 3 are the specific areas of note".
What does it say in relation to you r claim?
Just curious. Cause I wouldn't have a clue what section 1,page 9, clauses 2 and 3 are.
I guess in hindsight that's why a lot of people don't do a lot of mods until warranty runs out.
I hope your not out of pocket to much, But seeing that you would have to change a lot of suspension components it sounds like you might be which is a bummer.

FollowupID: 623244

Reply By: Member - Marco T (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:25

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:25
Kim,

I hear you.
D40 Navara bucket. I have the 07 updated model. Pity they did not update the clutch on these things.

I found about the problems about 6 months ago on www.complaintscorner.com.au. have a look at this site and it will frighten you. Many many clutch issues on many many vehicles. Some have done 10,000 km and on the 3rd clutch. The cost varies on these between $2000-$4000 to supply and fit as noted on complaints corner. Please note Nissan has refused to fix these problems as they say it is wear and tear. RUBBISH -- The clutch should last well over 200K km especially when this vehicle is rated for a 3 ton towing capacity. There is also an issue with the front brakes - excessive wear also -- many have been replaced (pads & rotors)between 35K - 55K some might last a bit more if you are extremely light on the brakes. But rotors??? at 50K??? Never have I heard this. I had a Hilux before this Navara, traded it at 260,000km no clutch change, new front pads but no rotors - faultless car.
There is a heavy duty clutch available which I will go for if it came to it with Nissan. This should sort the problem - the clutch manufacturer also recommended to throw out the dual mass flywheel and replace with single mass.

I have only had a few small issues with this car but I am also dumping this car when Warranty is up.

Many on hear would say 'every car has it's problems' but this Nissan Navara model will soon have the reputation of the Lada.

All the best to your mate.

Marco
AnswerID: 355031

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:09

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 01:09
Kim...Kim...Kim.........

Pack the Latte machine, your four poster bed and the biggest gun in your armoury and come for a drive.....Hahahahaha
Ill even share me wheel chair!
If ya dont I'm going to give your rellies some $hit to take home!!!

Hahahahha Sorry! ............ Na I'm not
AnswerID: 355059

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:50

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:50
Gidday Hairy

Having kids is a bit like getting the last slurp out of an Emu egg.

Their leaving on Sunday, but won’t go further north than Coober Pedy at this stage. At least that’s the current plan.

If they decide to go further I’ll let you know. At least it’ll give you a chance to set off the emergency siren and clear the town.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 623271

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:40

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:40
Gday Kim,
Ill put a gate across the Gap.........
If they have any dramas between Coober Pedy and Here , give me a call.

Cheers
FollowupID: 623313

Reply By: Ozboc - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:06

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:06
his clutch lasted 90 k?? - you know driver habits and loads can vary this greatly -- i can get well over 150 - 200 k in my vehicles -- a friend would be lucky to get 90k in the same vehicle

as for automatics - they also have there own issues and can be VERY costly when things go wrong

Boc
AnswerID: 355068

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:15

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:15
People make reference to Toyota bending over backwards to help you and thats true. People also expect to compare a Navara for $35k with a Hilux for $50k.? They are 2 different vehicles and there is a very good reason Toyota is dearer, lack of service is only one of them.

I still believe the Navara is a great product for the money but it ain't no Hilux. When you spend far less on a product you can expect far less from it.

Now go and buy an Australian built product and the Navara and Nissan in general would be far superior again. IMHO.

You never hear about the drive & 4WD magazines rating realiability do you.? They have have fence sitting long term tests but they only rate the vehicle on the drive results for that moment.
AnswerID: 355120

Follow Up By: scedd - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:37

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:37
Can you tell me where your Toyota dealer bends over backwards to help you, coz it aint in QLD

Toyota in Toowoomba have just refused a warranty repair on my 08 Hilux because it has Old Man Emu suspension fitted.
Their refusal letter stated "regardless of the conclusions our technicians have come to, the fact that you have the non-genuine springs and shock absorbers fitted to the vehicle excludes it from any warrantable claim through Toyota.The information regarding non-genuine parts and warranty coverage is outlined in your Hilux warranty and service book,section 1,page 9, clauses 2 and 3 are the specific areas of note."

So if i want the get my warranty back, i will have to sell my suspension, bullbar, winch & long range tank, but i can keep my Toyota canopy.

Its enough to make a bloke buy a Datsun!!
FollowupID: 623172

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:53

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:53
Unfortunately all car companies refuse warranty repairs to modified vehicles. Not just toyota, so in all due respect that is a silly comment. Most people wait until their warranty expires before they modify a vehicle otherwise you take the risk.

It doesn't matter who, Toyota , Nissan, Holden blah blah blah, I can't believe you expected different.?
FollowupID: 623181

Follow Up By: scedd - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:03

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:03
"Unfortunately all car companies refuse warranty repairs to modified vehicles. Not just toyota, so in all due respect that is a silly comment. Most people wait until their warranty expires before they modify a vehicle otherwise you take the risk.

It doesn't matter who, Toyota , Nissan, Holden blah blah blah, I can't believe you expected different.?"

This comment would make a lot more sense if the aftermarket products had any bearing on the warranty claim, but they are not related.
Toyota clearly stated that the refusal of warranty was because the non genuine suspension was fitted, not because the suspension was the cause.

The wifes Commodore had aftermarket LPG fitted at 2 months after purchase.
Holden stated that if the LPG caused a problem, that was not warranty, but otherwise the factory warranty stood.
A nice simple reasonable statement.

Toyota stated that the Hilux warranty is now void, no exceptions.
That to me is cr@p
FollowupID: 623184

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:38

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:38
I am told if you can prove the modifications did not directly or in-directly result in the warranty claim then you may be able to dispute this. You will need to explore this. I agree on the Holden statement but I think legally Toyota cannot re-neg on the warranty unless the modifications caused the issue, so what was the issue and could have the modifications caused it.?
FollowupID: 623190

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:59

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 16:59
Scedd, what is the issue with your hilux ?? What needs fixing ?? WHG
FollowupID: 623222

Follow Up By: scedd - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 16:49

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 16:49
The drivers side front Cv failed which allowed the axle to come out on full lock which then bent the front shock.
Toyota decided that even though the suspension travel is the exact same distance as a standard Hilux, they would deny the warranty claim and then decided the entire vehicle warranty was void unless the car was returned to standard condition.
This is not over yet!!
FollowupID: 624648

Reply By: TassieD - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:07

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 14:07
Gee I'm glad we got one of the 06 D22 Navaras. Coming up on 100k and the only problem is the seatbelt retractors have gotten a bit slack. It does some hard towing with our van on and always has at least 500 kilos of tools in the back.
Mind you with the warranty just about out it will probably fall to bits lol.
AnswerID: 355137

Sponsored Links